Additional Complimentary OBC

North West Newbie

As is customary, Cunarders are enticed to book more cruises whilst on board a Cunard ship. To this end and apart from the removal of any credit card fee that would otherwise apply, certainly for UK bookings, Cunard offer additional complimentary on board spending money if one books on board. The level of OBC depends on the length of the voyage being booked and the stateroom category but ranges from $100 per person [maximum two] for 6-9 days in an Inside/Oceanview stateroom to $400 per person [maximum two] for 10 days or more in a Grills Suite. The paperwork clearly states that offer is combinable with Cunard Fares and Early Saver Fares.

The offer does not end there. Cunard seek to continue their enticement when one arrives home in the form of a Welcome Home booklet signed by Angus Struthers whereby the offer is extended; in my case until 31st January 2017.

I have just encountered a problem when trying to book two more voyages. Firstly, I was told by Cunard's UK reservations that the code PZ5 as printed in the booklet is not valid. Apparently the correct code is PE5. However, more significantly, I was told I could only use the code once which rather took me by surprise. Nowhere in the booklet, small print or otherwise, does it say that and why would Cunard want to discourage multiple bookings?

Has anyone else encountered a similar experience?

Cunard offer additional complimentary on board spending money if one books on board. The level of OBC depends on the length of the voyage being booked and the stateroom category but ranges from $100 per person [maximum two] for 6-9 days in an Inside/Oceanview stateroom to $400 per person [maximum two] for 10 days or more in a Grills Suite. The paperwork clearly states that offer is combinable with Cunard Fares and Early Saver Fares.

Just to say that to get that OBC, you don't need to book the cruise whilst on board. You just need to hand over £50pp while on board but then you can go home and choose your next cruise in the comfort of your home as long as you do it within 12 months. If you don't book it in this time frame, you forfeit the £50.

Regarding the PE5 code you mention, what is this actually for? I've never received a Welcome Home booklet.

Edited by Ray66

Just to say that to get that OBC, you don't need to book the cruise whilst on board. You just need to hand over £50pp while on board but then you can go home and choose your next cruise in the comfort of your home as long as you do it within 12 months. If you don't book it in this time frame, you forfeit the £50.

Regarding the PE5 code you mention, what is this actually for? I've never received a Welcome Home booklet.

Hi Ray

The process you have mentioned is a Future Cruise Deposit (FCD) which operates to provide exactly the same additional complimentary on board spending money. So, whilst on board, one either books the cruise(s) or buys a FCD to allocate to a new booking within one year. https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/before-you-sail/FCD

I have received several of these Welcome Home booklets post cruise which ostensibly extends the on board offer to receive the additional complimentary OBC. The offer is always time limited, usually for a couple of months, and invites one to go ahead and book a future cruise. To do so one needs to quote the offer code which in my latest booklet is PZ5 albeit I was told yesterday that that code is not valid and should be PE5.

I am pretty sure I have read on CC that some people have booked more than one cruise whilst on board to take advantage of the additional OBC. It makes no sense why Cunard would restrict the offer to one cruise. This is not a voucher redemption whereby one only has one voucher. It is a code to quote that does not have any published restrictions such as "only use once" or "one per household" and therefore the additional OBC should apply to every new cruise on every new booking subject to each of those cruises meeting the necessary criteria.

On this subject. For many years when on board our Cunard cruise, I have asked for and been given the "Future Cruise" letter and paid £50 per person deposit, which stipulates quite clearly that the enhanced OBC is conditional upon a cruise being BOOKED within 12 months of the date on the letter, the cruise not being TAKEN but BOOKED. On our last cruise in October I went as per usual for my "Future Cruise" letter to the Future Cruise letter and was asked if we had a particular cruise in mind - I told them that we didn't have and I couldn't see any point in doing so at that time. I was told that if we booked whilst on board they would double the OBC outlined in the Future Cruise letter, that would be $550 per person for an Oceanview stateroom and $650 per person for a balcony stateroom. (This was actually more than double what the Future Cruise" letter offered).

Needless to say we went away and chose our cruise, called their bluff as it were and booked our September 2017 cruise and sure enough were allocated the above OBC of $650 per person. But, better than that we gave our TA details in the Future Cruise Office and they allocated the booking to him. We emailed him from the ship, he confirmed the booking OBC, reduced Cunard's fare by £190 per person and included free coach transport from the North of England to Southampton. In all Cunard were happy, we were happy and our TA was happy. As we say up North - "The jobs a good un"......

David

Over the holiday period, I received a similar welcome home booklet signed by Simon Palethorpe, Senior Vice President, Cunard. It was triggered by a cruise l took in December 2016.

No mention of an extended on board booking offer, although he has identified that l have a booking on Queen Elizabeth for 2017 which as a matter of fact was in place before I boarded the December 2016 cruise. He offers additional "inspiration" for a future cruise but again no OBC offer.

It seems they are using a hook to get you back which they haven't needed to use in my case as l am already hooked. A one off use of the code seems on balance as reasonable because it doesn't appear everybody is getting the offer. I agree that it would have been helpful to let you you know the code could only be used once.

M-AR

Over the holiday period, I received a similar welcome home booklet signed by Simon Palethorpe, Senior Vice President, Cunard. It was triggered by a cruise l took in December 2016.

No mention of an extended on board booking offer, although he has identified that l have a booking on Queen Elizabeth for 2017 which as a matter of fact was in place before I boarded the December 2016 cruise. He offers additional "inspiration" for a future cruise but again no OBC offer.

It seems they are using a hook to get you back which they haven't needed to use in my case as l am already hooked. A one off use of the code seems on balance as reasonable because it doesn't appear everybody is getting the offer. I agree that it would have been helpful to let you you know the code could only be used once.

M-AR

Hi M-AR

I escalated this issue and Cunard has now accepted that the original agent and her manager were incorrect in what they advised. If one has been issued with a promo code (which is actually generic), it automatically pulls through to every new booking made up and until the expiry of the offer. I have had it confirmed that one can make as many bookings as one wishes and receive the additional OBC on each and every one of them. Cunard would be delighted to take one's money.

I am pleased to report this has proved to be the case as I went ahead yesterday with our next trip, Hong Kong to Dubai, albeit I booked it as two separate voyages as it saved us almost £600 each as opposed to booking as one. Both standard and additional OBC were significantly enhanced too.

Obviously it is likely that we will have to move staterooms in Singapore but an overall saving of around £1,600 will certainly compensate us for what minor inconvenience we may experience.

Edited by North West Newbie

Hi M-AR

I escalated this issue and Cunard has now accepted that the original agent and her manager were incorrect in what they advised. If one has been issued with a promo code (which is actually generic), it automatically pulls through to every new booking made up and until the expiry of the offer. I have had it confirmed that one can make as many bookings as one wishes and receive the additional OBC on each and every one of them. Cunard would be delighted to take one's money.

I am pleased to report this has proved to be the case as I went ahead yesterday with our next trip, Hong Kong to Dubai, albeit I booked it as two separate voyages as it saved us almost £600 each as opposed to booking as one. Both standard and additional OBC were significantly enhanced too.

Obviously it is likely that we will have to move staterooms in Singapore but an overall saving of around £1,600 will certainly compensate us for what minor inconvenience we may experience.

Sounds like great outcome and a generous offer. I've found moving staterooms to be a relatively painless experience, the crew had it appropriately coordinated and did all the heavy lifting.

M-AR