QM2,Tipping?

threeoverthree

The autogratuity takes care of that problem. If an individual crew member gives you exceptional service, or handles several special requests, you can tip that person in addition to the autogratuity.

I'd like some feed back about Queens Grill tipping, as well. Auto-grat would cover the stateroom attendants (as I understand it the auto grat is also dispersed to other staff ship wide). This is my personal choice; I always give our hard working stateroom attendants extra at cruise's end. I've never had an attendant who was "just average", in which case there would be no extra gratuity.

I would think the Butler in a Q5 would not participate in the pool of tips to the degree that he/she would be compensated properly. Thus, I will probably give that individual $75-$100 for the week, depending on the services we've asked him/her to do.

I would think the Butler in a Q5 would not participate in the pool of tips to the degree that he/she would be compensated properly. Thus, I will probably give that individual $75-$100 for the week, depending on the services we've asked him/her to do.

Everyone in the Hotel department, from the very top to the bottom, benefits from the auto tip.

We always pay the daily charge, then go a wee bit beyond.

We normally give the butler $50 for 2 weeks, but a little more if they help run a cocktail party or perform some other service. Probably another $25 to the room steward.

Providing the wait staff are giving excellent service the they also get a wee tip every night.

We take the view that although it's just a few dollars to us can be a huge bonus for the staff.

Tipping is a personnel matter tip what you think is right. On my last cruise I gave my Butler $800 & the under Butler $400 my 2 waiters $400 each the room cleaner $ 200 & $ 400 between various bar staff, I also cancelled the Auto tip as I do not believe in tipping staff that I do not see You have to draw the line somewhere. It was a 24 night cruise by the way.

Edited by zider

Tipping is a personnel matter tip what you think is right. On my last cruise I gave my Butler $800 & the under Butler $400 my 2 waiters $400 each the room cleaner $ 200 & $ 400 between various bar staff, I also cancelled the Auto tip as I do not believe in tipping staff that I do not see You have to draw the line somewhere. It was a 24 night cruise by the way.

Does Cunard have the same system as has been reported on other lines? That is, if a passenger removes the auto-gratuities and then gives staff cash, this must be handed in to the pool for dividing up between those who would have been included if the auto-charge had been retained. If the passenger leaves the auto-charge in place and then tips individuals they are able to keep theses tips.

I have no issues with providing gratuities to the 'behind the scenes' staff. They do just as much for me as those I am in contact with.

Does Cunard have the same system as has been reported on other lines? That is, if a passenger removes the auto-gratuities and then gives staff cash, this must be handed in to the pool for dividing up between those who would have been included if the auto-charge had been retained. If the passenger leaves the auto-charge in place and then tips individuals they are able to keep theses tips.

I have no issues with providing gratuities to the 'behind the scenes' staff. They do just as much for me as those I am in contact with.

Apparently not. http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2413808

Zider, that was very generous of you, and I'm sure the staff appreciated your gratuities.

Regards,

Salacia

Thank you for the clarification.

Interestingly some of those who have reported the practice of having to hand in gratuities where the auto grats have been removed also have that on good advice from quite senior staff. As I always leave the auto-grats in place and tip a little extra to those I am in contact with a lot, it doesn't affect me at all. My opinion (which it seems is not shared by all) is that those behind the scenes workers also deserve a slice of the gratuity pie.

Edited by Aussieflyer

I totally agree with Blue Riband's original post on this. I would add that we have crossed in Queens Grill twice on the QM2 and on both crossings our butler was OK. The first was solicitous on the first day, but then was pretty much missing in action. On the second crossing, our butler was hot-and-cold. So we chose to not supplement the auto-tipping. Now in Princess we also had a butler who was totally ineffective, not bad, but not responsive. Sort of like a room steward in fancy clothes. So nothing special for him as well. We've had better luck with room stewards in Britannia class.

I would think that if a passenger gives a member of staff a tip in cash they would expect it to be kept by that member of staff and not distributed among the rest, otherwise what's the point.

As to whether individual tips are thrown into the pot Cunard FAQ's seem pretty plain without a definite statement. (quote) Naturally, you are free to tip any member of the crew over and above these amounts, at your discretion (quote)

Which strongly suggests that the recipient can keep them. Which basically is what Bell Boy was told.

DAVID

Could I ask why.

David

Sure. I find it disconcerting that when auto gratuities are removed, any cash given to individual crew members may be kept by that individual. My understanding for years has been that if the auto tip is removed, any cash tips given to crew members must be pooled and shared - which is apparently not the case. That would indicate that those crew members who do not directly serve/care for passengers share only the auto gratuities that are left in place, which - sadly, would be considerably less than I thought previously.

Edited by Salacia

I would think that if a passenger gives a member of staff a tip in cash they would expect it to be kept by that member of staff and not distributed among the rest, otherwise what's the point.

As to whether individual tips are thrown into the pot Cunard FAQ's seem pretty plain without a definite statement. (quote) Naturally, you are free to tip any member of the crew over and above these amounts, at your discretion (quote)

Which strongly suggests that the recipient can keep them. Which basically is what Bell Boy was told.

DAVID

The way I understood it to work (which now seems to be totally incorrect according to this thread) is that if you tipped staff and left the auto-grats in place, the staff member was able to keep the tip.

But, and here's the difference, if (and only if) you had removed the auto-grats, those cash tips had to be pooled.

I don't see any contradiction with what the quote from Cunard is above as it clearly states "over and above these amounts", meaning the auto-grat amount added to your account.

Like Salacia, I am concerned that if the case with Cunard is that staff keep all their tips even when auto-grats are removed (for whatever reason) those behind the scenes staff are not compensated as they should be.

Edited by Aussieflyer

Salacia & Aussieflyer I understand your point. Yes the pooling of tips may be different on other Cruise Lines, however, as this question is often raised on this (Cunard) board it, was important to clarify the procedure that operates across the fleet on Cunard.

:)

Salacia & Aussieflyer I understand your point. Yes the pooling of tips may be different on other Cruise Lines, however, as this question is often raised on this (Cunard) board it, was important to clarify the procedure that operates across the fleet on Cunard.

:)

And thank you for the clarification Bell Boy. I had always assumed (wrongly) that Cunard had the same system that I had heard reported from other lines.

Good to know the actual situation for Cunard.

PARTIAL QUOTE

Everyone in the Hotel department, from the very top to the bottom, benefits from the auto tip.

The Hotel Department has several officers [see https://ask.cunard.com/help/fleet/Epaulettes]. My understanding is that these individuals are paid a far better salary and receive better benefits in their contract than "behind the scenes" crew members.

Frankly, tipping officers is not how I believed the automatic Hotel & Dining charge was distributed. Cunard states "Please be assured that 100% of the amount goes to the crew on board" (quoted from https://ask.cunard.com/help/life-on-board/gratuity). Unless I am mistaken, Officers and Crew are NOT the same. So, either Cunard's statement is false and 100% of the auto H&D charge does not go to the crew, or statements made on this thread by passengers with connections to Cunard employees about how the H&D charge is distributed are correct.

Salacia

Edited by Salacia

That is a serious sum of money. Out of my league. Each to their own. I am in steerage on QM2 in March, have to raid my piggy bank for a few tips then.

That is a serious sum of money. Out of my league. Each to their own. I am in steerage on QM2 in March, have to raid my piggy bank for a few tips then.

No worries - I'm sure whatever amount you tip will be appreciated by the crew. Of course, you could keep it simple and just leave the auto tip on (adjusted up or down) if so inclined.

Enjoy your voyage :) -S.

Edited by Salacia

PARTIAL QUOTE

The Hotel Department has several officers [see https://ask.cunard.com/help/fleet/Epaulettes]. My understanding is that these individuals are paid a far better salary and receive better benefits in their contract than "behind the scenes" crew members.

Frankly, tipping officers is not how I believed the automatic Hotel & Dining charge was distributed. Cunard states "Please be assured that 100% of the amount goes to the crew on board"

Salacia

A personal friend of ours, a senior engineering officer, with both P&O and Cunard, retired 3 years ago. He explained to us that when the auto charge was introduced, at first, there were very few who benefited. However, after successive complaints from crew, this entitlement widened and eventually included everyone in the whole Hotel Department, including officers.

Our friend was not part of the Hotel Dept so he did not receive anything.

A personal friend of ours, a senior engineering officer, with both P&O and Cunard, retired 3 years ago. He explained to us that when the auto charge was introduced, at first, there were very few who benefited. However, after successive complaints from crew, this entitlement widened and eventually included everyone in the whole Hotel Department, including officers.

Our friend was not part of the Hotel Dept so he did not receive anything.

BigMac, Thank you for trying to help me understand, but what Cunard is doing with the distribution of the Auto Hotel & Dining Charge is seriously vague and in many instances, contradictory.

Officers (not your friend, but others) benefiting from tips - No, sorry, that does not sit well.

Salacia

Edited by Salacia

Like some others on this thread, I am a firm believer in using the automatic gratuity system. I recognise that a lot of behind-the-scenes people contribute to the enjoyment of my holiday and I want them to be rewarded.

Hopefully when we give extra to our room steward, he passes some on to the rest of his team, knowing that he would not have received the tip without their backup.

I would think there was a group of very disgruntled staff having to hand that bundle of cash into the pool if the rules really are as some think.

As a US President might have said "ain't going to happen"

David

Like some others on this thread, I am a firm believer in using the automatic gratuity system. I recognise that a lot of behind-the-scenes people contribute to the enjoyment of my holiday and I want them to be rewarded.

Hopefully when we give extra to our room steward, he passes some on to the rest of his team, knowing that he would not have received the tip without their backup.

I always participate in the auto-grat, on almost every cruise I/we have been on. The first ones we went on, it wasn't an option, we received the little envelopes to tip each department individually at cruise end.

This will be our first Cunard cruise, and the gratuities are "complimentary" as part of last fall's 3 for all promotion. Provided we receive the excellent service so typical of cruise line staff, we will tip extra to selected staff (room stewards, room service, dining room staff, maitre d', etc.). Just personal preference, but these hard working people are deserving of extra, given all they do to ensure an exceptional vacation.