Hawaii Cruises

ddclark

• 2 weeks later...
From what I understand, Disney had a hard time filling the ship on the trip to Hawaii and offered the trip to cast members to fill the ship.

I am surprised to hear this, given how popular most of DCL's cruises are nowadays regardless of itineraries.

LAX

I think the problem was that it was a round trip with a one day stop at several islands. MANY people would have loved a "one way" cruise with another a few weeks later to potentially cruise back so they could have stayed at Aulani or wherever.

I think the problem was that it was a round trip with a one day stop at several islands. MANY people would have loved a "one way" cruise with another a few weeks later to potentially cruise back so they could have stayed at Aulani or wherever.

Is that what other cruise lines do? Perhaps it's unique to Hawaii, but DCL's RT itineraries else where don't seem to suffer the same problem. If it's a preference for OW vs. RT, I supposed DCL didn't even bother to try modifying the itinerary before cancelling it all together. That's really too bad as I definitively would have been interested.

LAX

Is that what other cruise lines do? Perhaps it's unique to Hawaii, but DCL's RT itineraries else where don't seem to suffer the same problem. If it's a preference for OW vs. RT, I supposed DCL didn't even bother to try modifying the itinerary before cancelling it all together. That's really too bad as I definitively would have been interested.

LAX

Some lines do round trips from the West Coast, those are about 14 days, with 10 of those as sea days. One ways have to start or end in a foreign port, so that would be Vancouver or Ensenada, not sure whether DCL has a problem with that or not.

I am surprised to hear this, given how popular most of DCL's cruises are nowadays regardless of itineraries.

LAX

I agree. It sure seems that all the ones I want on are sold quickly!! This news came from cast member friends of mine.

Sold out quickly does not necessarily mean that they stay that way. Especially with new or special cruises, many people will pay the opening day deposit but re-think the situation before the penalty date. Don't give up on booking a cruise till well after the penalty date!

Sold out quickly does not necessarily mean that they stay that way. Especially with new or special cruises, many people will pay the opening day deposit but re-think the situation before the penalty date. Don't give up on booking a cruise till well after the penalty date![/quote

Yes we got a wonderful rate on a Panama Canal trip a few years ago like that.

DCL's most recent Hawaii cruises (in Sept. 2015) were one-way from Vancouver to Honolulu and from Honolulu to Vancouver. One could've stayed in Hawaii before or after the cruise, but it would've required a one-way flight to or from Honolulu

DCL's most recent Hawaii cruises (in Sept. 2015) were one-way from Vancouver to Honolulu and from Honolulu to Vancouver. One could've stayed in Hawaii before or after the cruise, but it would've required a one-way flight to or from Honolulu

Right--they weren't timed so that you could spend a week or two in Hawaii and then cruise back. I just remember looking at them and realizing that they wouldn't allow me to do the vacation that I would have planned.

Right--they weren't timed so that you could spend a week or two in Hawaii and then cruise back. I just remember looking at them and realizing that they wouldn't allow me to do the vacation that I would have planned.

I love the sound of that, but have to think the number of people who could/would take a 3-4 week vacation is EXTREMELY limited, especially in the DCL age group/demographic.

I love the sound of that, but have to think the number of people who could/would take a 3-4 week vacation is EXTREMELY limited, especially in the DCL age group/demographic.

Possibly true, but nothing says you have to do a 3 or 4 week vacation. You'd have the option of doing it one way and flying back for a 1 week vacation (Vancouver to Honolulu), a 2 week vacation (Vancouver to Vancouver), or a 4 week (Vancouver to Honolulu, 2 weeks in Hawaii, then Honolulu back to Vancouver). As to the DCL demographic, it is significantly different on the TA cruises than on a 7 night Caribbean. There are plenty of people who do a 2 week TA and then spend additional time in Europe.

As to the DCL demographic' date=' it is significantly different on the TA cruises than on a 7 night Caribbean. There are plenty of people who do a 2 week TA and then spend additional time in Europe.[/quote']

I'm one of them, and that's partially how I *know* it's not the usual demographic.