Just a Vent....This is Why I Sail Solo

Roz

Like many of you, I'm often asked why I sail solo, don't I have any friends to go with me, you're so brave to travel by yourself, etc.

I took my first European river cruise back in 2015, and have another one scheduled for this fall. I have a friend from college who's widowed, and I tell him all about my travel adventures. Bill enjoys history, especially military history, and is very good with Slavic languages, having been a Russian major.

When I told him about the Bucharest to Budapest cruise I have booked in September, he expressed an interest in going, so I got him in touch with my TA so he could get the same deal I got. I was looking forward to having someone to hang out with that I get along with, and that I thought would really enjoy the itinerary. We booked separate cabins, so it didn't get around the single supplement issue, but that was OK.

The week before Christmas Bill tells me he's re-thinking going on the cruise. Why I ask. He thinks he's done permanent damage to his shoulder and back and is in a lot of pain. How long has this been going on? Have you seen a doctor? He tells me he's been in pain for 6 months :eek: and is going to see a doctor "after the holidays". A few wks. ago he went to see a movie, and it took 3-4 people to get him up and out of the theatre seat afterwards. Obviously a transatlantic flight is out of the question if this continues.

I think he over exercises for someone 70 yrs. old, and the type of exercise he's doing isn't preparing him for a trip to Europe. 8 miles on an elliptical is too much repetitive activity, and it's not the same as walking outside on pavement, cobblestones, up and down hills, etc.

If he and I had booked a cabin together, I would be royally honked off. I'm not happy with this situation, but I'm going regardless. It's just so hard to make long term plans with other people and get them to make a commitment. I guess this explains why I've never been married. :(

Well, thank you all my fellow CC solo cruisers for listening, and carry on. That's the only thin we can do.

Roz

I'm sorry about your friend and his health. Yes, it can be difficult to find the perfect travel partner. Finding one who not only shares your interests but also travels like you like to (i.e., early riser or night owl, lay on the beach or take tours, etc.) can be a real challenge. The benefits of travelling solo, which I've done, are great because you don't have to worry about what another person wants to do or what they can do.

That all being said, when you find the right travel partner, there is something about being able to experience your new discoveries with someone you love. I have a really great friend who I've traveled with for years, and we have had the best time; however, now her health is getting to the point where she can't go to the places we used to go. I miss having her with me, but I'm not going to stop traveling just because she can't go.

I totally understand your annoyance at the comment about not having any friends. In my case, most of my friends either have families of their own or can't afford to travel. So many people believe that you can't travel alone because they would never consider it for themselves. Those are the ones who end up not going on trips and missing out because they think they have to go with someone else.

Have you tried any of the solo/singles group cruises? What do you think about them? I'm thinking about doing something like that in the future.

Thanks for your post, HBG. I've thought about trying a singles cruise, but have never booked one. At this point, I'm probably older than most of the people who go on them, including the ones for those 40+. I'm 64.

I agree with you, it's nice to share experiences with other people. One of my sisters and I have done some cruises together, and we still talk about them.

Yes, I have friends, but like you pointed out, just because you're friends with someone doesn't mean they're interested in traveling, or would make a good travel partner.

Roz

Roz, I can relate totally to what you are saying. My sister and I do travel together often and very compatibly. But, I am retired and can travel more often than she can, so if I want to go, it is often on my own. I do have friends who could travel, but I have to admit that our travel styles are different, enough so that they become annoying. So, rather than risk a friendship, it is better to go on my own.

I'm taking my first truly solo cruise in June. The friends were invited out of courtesy, knowing they would turn me down. My sister doesn't have enough vacation to come along, so it is I, me and myself. Well, and 2500 others.

I've traveled as a single through Europe with no problem and did one cruise where I had a roommate, but we only met for dinner each evening.

I will travel with my sister again and as often as she can, but traveling solo is sure better than not traveling!

I'm glad I saw your post, Roz.

Prior to retiring, many of my cruises were solo ones. Some were with family or a friend. After I retired, my major goal was to see as much of the world as I could in the time on Earth that I had remaining. This meant cruising/traveling solo much of the time. Either friends and/or family had no interest in joining me or could not do so due to financial concerns.

In recent years, I have enjoyed the company of a traveling companion who is 15 years my senior on some cruises. We started with separate veranda staterooms (Zuiderdam), decided to share a stateroom and booked a Signature Suite (Noordam), booked a regular veranda stateroom on the Eurodam's Amsterdam-Amsterdam-New York cruises in 2012 and found that the stateroom was too small for both of us for that length of time. Since, we have shared a Signature Suite on the Prinsendam as well as the Nieuw Amsterdam for two holiday cruises. In addition, we enjoyed a small suite on a Carnival Miracle cruise that is memorable for many pleasant ways.

This last cruise will probably be her final cruise. Mobility issues have arisen; if she had not arranged for a scooter, her ability to move around the ship and visit some of our ports would have been unlikely. (If we had not booked a Signature Suite, the presence of the scooter would have been a major problem within our stateroom.)

I am fortunate that I have met many others with whom I have traveled in the past, have traveled since, and am booked for another cruise with some of these good folks. Yes, it does add another positive dimension to one's cruise/travel experience. But, if I must still travel as a solo on future trips, I am happy to do so.

Just to add to my previous post, the travel agency with which I work sometimes have hosted group cruises. During the days at sea, "Chat Times" take place in a Lounge where one can connect with the hosts and with others of the group, many of whom have experienced some of my same travel experiences and/or with whom I have sailed before. Client specific shore excursions are also able to be booked with them and that adds another layer of collegiality to the travel experience.

For me, this adds a significant positive addition to my travel experience as a solo. And, as a solo, some of those of us who are solo "connect" during the trip. And, for those who are not solo cruisers, we are fully accepted within the group.

Rka,

Thank you for sharing your cruising experiences. Most of cruises have been on HAL, so I can relate to the ships and cabin categories you mentioned. Those group cruises sound interesting. My TA has put together something similar for next February, so I'm booked and looking forward to meeting some other clients of hers.

I'm still working, but would like to retire in 2 years. I hope I'm in a financial situation to still cruise. I don't necessarily want to do more cruises, but to have the flexibility to do longer cruises and visit some more exotic locales.

Roz

Hi Roz:)......you will have a marvelous time on your own:D

As for the marriage thing? I was married once, way back in 1985 and it didn't even last a year. I have been divorced

ever since and now, all these years later I don't feel like I have ever been married and that is AOK with me;)

• 2 weeks later...

I understand your frustration, I've been there too. I started traveling solo in my late 20's because A) I was tired of people flaking on me during the planning process, B) many of my friends are teachers and can only travel at certain times of the year (aka, the times I choose to avoid!) and C) because I realized my passport wasn't going to get any stamps on it if I continued to wait on other people. So, I started going all over the world by myself. Probably the greatest gift I could have ever given myself.

I do travel with other friends on occasion, but usually I plan it alone. No drama, no BS, just me and my introverted self having the time of my life! I hope you have a great trip, and that your friend gets well and can hopefully realize that life is short and travel is one of the best things to do for the mind and soul.