Adventure of the Seas - spending embarkation day in Old San Juan?

birdlord

I've read previously that you can drop your luggage at Pan American Pier and then go explore Old San Juan (since sail-away is later).

A couple questions.

Do you just drop of your luggage and leave or are you permitted to go thru the check-in process and leave the ship and return later? If you return later, if you already have the cruise card they issue you, do you have to go through long lines again or is there a special entrance to pass through quickly?

Lastly, if you want to explore Old San Juan for a few hours - do you just grab a taxi from the pier or is it within walking distance. I haven't sailed out of SJU in 20 years (and at that time we just got on board and stayed on board) and I am having a hard time remembering the geography/logistics.

You can do either: drop your bags, leave, and come back later; or drop bags, check-in, and come back later. Your choice. If you come back after 2pm, there won't be any significant lines.

You will need a taxi to go back and forth to OSJ.

You can do either: drop your bags, leave, and come back later; or drop bags, check-in, and come back later. Your choice. If you come back after 2pm, there won't be any significant lines.

Wonderful! Now I can plan accordingly. Thanks for your info.

I usually get to port early checkin, grab some lunch and head out at about 12:30-1:30. One year a missed the muster drill, which was not a bad thing. They give you abbreviated version later in the week, no lines with very few people.

Recently on AOS and they gave a 2nd muster drill the evening before sail away...not later in the week.

I usually get to port early checkin, grab some lunch and head out at about 12:30-1:30. One year a missed the muster drill, which was not a bad thing. They give you abbreviated version later in the week, no lines with very few people.

So you actually ate lunch onboard and then got off the ship and went back to town?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Do we sail out of the same dock that is used when San Juan is a day port? I have booked a hotel in OSJ that is very close to the dock and wasn't planning on taking a taxi.

Thanks

Do we sail out of the same dock that is used when San Juan is a day port? I have booked a hotel in OSJ that is very close to the dock and wasn't planning on taking a taxi.

Thanks

No...when the ship is a "day port" it docks at the piers over in OSJ. When embarking in SJ you will go out of the Pan Am pier which is across the "bay" from OSJ. You will definitely need a taxi to get from OSJ to Pan American pier.

Thanks

No, when RC has a cruise doing initial/final embarkation/disembarkation, they use the Pan American pier. For a day stop, they use one of the OSJ piers.

That sounds perfect. Thanks for the comments. We will do the same when we sail from San Juan in December.

No...when the ship is a "day port" it docks at the piers over in OSJ. When embarking in SJ you will go out of the Pan Am pier which is across the "bay" from OSJ. You will definitely need a taxi to get from OSJ to Pan American pier.

No, when RC has a cruise doing initial/final embarkation/disembarkation, they use the Pan American pier. For a day stop, they use one of the OSJ piers.

You eat lunch on the ship instead of in town :eek:

Is that a 10-15 min taxi ride? Or more? And how much does it usually cost? Is there not a hop on hop off bus in San Juan?

About a 10 minute ride (depending on traffic) and usually $15 for the car/van (NOT per person).

No Hop on/Hop off in SJU. There are complimentary trolley and trams that take you around OSJ and get on/off at various tourist areas but they only travel in OSJ and do not go over to the Pan Am pier.

You eat lunch on the ship instead of in town :eek:

LOL! I agree. If we are getting on the ship to stay for the day we eat lunch onboard. If we are heading into OSJ for the afternoon we eat lunch in OSJ. Too much yummy food over there and will get plenty of ship's food the rest of the week!