Very tall people cruising

germanyboy

My Son-in-law who is 6 foot nine is worried about cruising on Disney. Can you tell one of the good things a very tall person could look forward to on the Disney cruise, and the bad things. And how to make the best of it.

Should fit pretty well everywhere except bed. One of my friends who came with me on my last cruise was over 6'6" (don't know how tall he really is) and he never had to duck anywhere but his feet hung off the bed a few inches.

I think the shower heads are a little short on some cruise lines. But he should be able to make it work. Happy Cruising!

Pros:

He will be able to see over the top of other Guests heads to see the Characters!

He will be closer to the A/C vents!

He will be able to spot a table for lunch easier!

You won't lose him in a crowd!

Cons:

As above he will need a space in a proper bed and not the couch or Pullman bed. He will probably fit on a murphy bed though.

Will have to duck down for the shower, but he probably does at home as well.

He will make Mickey and Minney look tiny?

All laughing and joking aside, I cannot see any real downsides to him cruising on DCL over any other cruise line.

ex techie

I'm 6'7" (or 5'19") and i haven't done Disney yet, but on my other cruises, Most places were fine. Watch out for exit signs in some places. And also watch out for people asking your "How tall are you?"

• 5 months later...
My hubby is 6'4, and had no issues. However, the bathrooms were tight.... he had a lot more room in the showers at the spa/fitness center (which were FINE for him to use for free).

i just watched a video of a verandah room on the dream and was disturbed to see that the 6'3" person couldn't fit in the shower, so clearly my 6' 7" husband is going to be challenged...

so there's a shower in the fitness center on the dream that he can use for free?

are there only certain hours of the day he can use that shower?

Edited by alaska_planner

I've never checked out the guy's locker room....but the ladies locker room has 2 showers on the Magic and Wonder and more on the Fantasy that are available to guests whenever the fitness center is open. No charge, much nicer than the showers in the tubs, but as you noted, not private and limited hours. The showers themselves are private, but the dry off area and locker room are not. The hours are generous--6 or 7 in the morning till 10 pm.

These are the showers in the locker room. There are additional showers in the rainforest area, but you pay to use that space.

I've never checked out the guy's locker room....but the ladies locker room has 2 showers on the Magic and Wonder and more on the Fantasy that are available to guests whenever the fitness center is open. No charge' date=' much nicer than the showers in the tubs, but as you noted, not private and limited hours. The showers themselves are private, but the dry off area and locker room are not. The hours are generous--6 or 7 in the morning till 10 pm.

These are the showers in the locker room. There are additional showers in the rainforest area, but you pay to use that space.[/quote']

The showers in the fitness area are plenty tall for your husband. i've used them when sailing with my wife and daughter, cuts down on waiting time for the shower.

The fitness and spa center showers have normal height or slightly higher shower heads and they are just as big as most normal showers back home. They are open pretty early and late. But to make them convenient to use get a room near the bow. There is also soap and shampoo dispensers in the showers along with towels, bathrobes and sandals.

thanks!

i sent the video to my husband and he said he didn't care..

he's kind of used to being decapitated in all situations :eek:

(after nearly 40 years of marriage, i tend to duck too, even though at 5' 4", there is absolutely nothing that is ever too low for me :rolleyes: )

Edited by alaska_planner

We were on the Dream last week and it appeared to me ceiling height is lower than normal. I'm 6 ft tall and I felt ceilings were low although nobody else in our party agreed with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

it's a long way off, but i'll try to follow up with what he thinks..

we were on the wonder a few times, but i don't recall it being worse than normal...

he always has to bend his head a little bit to get through doorways...

we'll see how he thinks the dream compares to the wonder..

Edited by alaska_planner

We were on the Dream last week and it appeared to me ceiling height is lower than normal. I'm 6 ft tall and I felt ceilings were low although nobody else in our party agreed with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The ceilings in the rooms are under 8ft if I remember right.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

the thing that often gets him aren't the ceilings, but signs hanging down from the ceilings (exit signs, etc)

he bumps into those so often it's funny...

what i meant in my other post, he's used to bowing his head even on land...

even in our house, he has to bow his head a bit to get through doorways without clunking his head....

• 2 months later...
I was on the Disney Dream yesterday (3 nite cruise). The ceiling height in my cabin (with verandah) was 7' high.

that's pretty low.. where we live, the standard ceiling height in houses is close to 9 feet..i'm guessing even i'll feel claustrophobic in 7 feet..

i remember now that when we were on the wonder, we were always in a suite...i don't know if that made a difference, or if the wonder has a higher ceiling..

i'll try to remember to come back into this thread after our cruise to share DH's experiences...