Grand Bar New Music Policy

Dancer Bob

I'm on Pacifica right now. There is only one group playing in the Grand Bar, they fill in the gap with recorded music. I understand from the Cruise Director this is the new fleet policy.

I don't see anything really wrong with the idea, evey dance place around here uses recorded music. But the implementation needs work. There doesn't seem to anybody assigned to make sure it's working- I had to complain the first night, the volume was so low as to be inaudible. And nobody seems to be checking to adjust the music mix to the passenger mix. Haven't had a chance to talk to the CD in the last couple of days, has anybody else encountered this?

I'm on Pacifica right now. There is only one group playing in the Grand Bar, they fill in the gap with recorded music. I understand from the Cruise Director this is the new fleet policy.

I don't see anything really wrong with the idea, evey dance place around here uses recorded music. But the implementation needs work. There doesn't seem to anybody assigned to make sure it's working- I had to complain the first night, the volume was so low as to be inaudible. And nobody seems to be checking to adjust the music mix to the passenger mix. Haven't had a chance to talk to the CD in the last couple of days, has anybody else encountered this?

I'll be on the TA Deliziosa in 4 weeks. Hopefully it won't be implemented on the crossing or a couple weeks later when we will be on her again. Wishing Dou Contato will be aboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes it was the same on our last 2 cruises. Gone are the good old days of cruising, but when we pay so little can we expect the same standards....

I just don't like the quality of most of Costas "musicians" (with exception of theatre company as they're usually vg), I can hear better at home from amateur productions or even my husband singing in the bath!!

The recorded music is sometimes a welcome relief. They don't seem to have many sound technicians nowadays

It won't put me off going on a Costa cruise though:)

Hope everything else is good for you on Pacifica

Caryl

Yes it was the same on our last 2 cruises. Gone are the good old days of cruising, but when we pay so little can we expect the same standards....

I just don't like the quality of most of Costas "musicians" (with exception of theatre company as they're usually vg), I can hear better at home from amateur productions or even my husband singing in the bath!!

The recorded music is sometimes a welcome relief. They don't seem to have many sound technicians nowadays

It won't put me off going on a Costa cruise though:)

Hope everything else is good for you on Pacifica

Caryl

Tha Costa Pacifica is the "ship of music."

Now maybe the "ship of canned music"

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were on Pacifica early October just posted our review, really must change our habits as every time we walked from dinner to the Aft Piano Bar there seemed to be live music in the main ballroom, although I do think they are cutting down times of performances as even the piano player seemed to be there for only a short spell before taking a break.

Best times were from 10.30pm till late.

I'm very happy with Paolo's trio. I see no reason recorded music can't work fine, if Costa provides proper music and a ballroom DJ who can adjust the mix to suit the passengers (most definitely, not a Disco DJ). I'll be sending off an email to the president of Costa, who I met at the last shareholders meeting.

• 2 months later...

Was on Diadema in December, only one group in Grand Bar although they still had they Latin Dance Team. Recorded music during band breaks, only one recording repeated every break, not well done, something to offend everyone.

On Deliziosa now. They took away the second group but I guess the screams of outrage reached Genoa, a duo just came on board, a rocky start but they seem to be working out better now. In spite of the problems, I don't know of any ship sailing from a US port with better dancing.

On neoClassica, there were still some musicians: A band, a keyboard duo, a solo keyboarder/singer, a pianist. And los Paraguayos, by far the best, I hope they never cut them down!!!

The mix was ok, althouh the playlists were definitely made by non-ballroom dancers and often didn't really fit my expectations. On my last cruise, the Latin Dancers danced to DJ Ipod with their own music, which was fine.

By the way, the Latin Dancers told me they will only continue on 3 ships, because they are too expensive and Costa tries to safe money to buy a new ship. OH NO :( They were so great. Please mention also to the president that we love and need the Latin Dancers and los Paraguayos, will you please, Bob? ;) They can eliminate Peppa Pig or whatever instead.

I have a feeling that there are more than one Los Paraguayos duos.

There was a Los Paraguayos duo on the neoRomantica in December 2016, they were also on the Pacifica in March 2016 but with different musicians.

Maybe Costa bought a job lot of Los Paraguayos.