11-night Fantasy vs 7-night Harmony of Seas

metairiegal

We just did a price comparison with DCL/Fantasy and RCCL's new/huge Harmony of the Seas (both window views). We are paying a Florida resident rate of $5888 for 11 nights/DCL and 7 nights/RCCL would be $2692.

RCCL is only for 7 nights but we could do 2 for the price of 1 with them and still save money. Plus, we live in the Fort Lauderdale area, so there would be no driving or staying 1 night prior like there is with DCL. Just don't know if we have made a mistake?

The DCL 11-nighter goes Southern Caribbean to a lot of ports we haven't visited, if that counts for anything. Plus, this is comparing an 11-nighter to a 7-nighter.

If it wasn't for the FLR rate/window view, we couldn't possibly even consider the 11 nights with DCL. Heck, even the FLR rates for a balcony are out of our range!

Comments welcome. Thanks in advance.

Forgot to say that over this past Christmas, we did a back-to-back on the Caribbean Princess for a total of 13 nights in a full suite. The price was $7479 including taxes AND insurance. Plus, the promotion we got was for free gratuities - that saved a bunch. We also got shipboard credits for being Carnival stockholders and for dh being a Navy veteran.

On the DCL and RCCL cruises we are comparing, those prices do not include insurance. If you add the $400 for insurance on the DCL 11-nighter, the total now becomes $6339. And, that does not include tips!

As you pointed out, you could do B2B 7 nights on Royal for less than the cost of 11 nights on DCL, not even including the transportation to the terminal and costs associated with that.

There are many wonderful things about DCL. The service and main stage entertainment on DCL is second to none. But is it worth 2-4 times as much as other lines? That's a personal decision. For us, the decision was to try other lines. We've enjoyed 3 others and have some good and some less good things to say about each. As you noted, a Princess cruise is FAR less costly than a DCL cruise...which is what got us to try them.

The swing for me would be young kids. For them, DCL rules. For teens and older, I cannot justify the current DCL rates for our family. Note, we love DCL and I'd like to cruise with them again. But the "been there, done that" nature of their cruises in addition to the cost means other lines for us. Our most recent was 20 nights in Japan on Princess for less than your 11 nights on DCL.

Thanks for your input. It's a big decision.

It is only dh and myself - no kids. If it wasn't for the FLR rate, we could never even consider it. Even with the FLR rate, we can only swing the ocean view cabin - no way am I paying $600 MORE for a balcony!

We didn't have anything planned for this summer, and the Fantasy 11-nights (FLR!) southern cruise to several different ports is sucking us in.

Princess is not sailing out of Florida in summer 2017 (they'll be back summer of 2018). Plus, we are planning to go on a Christmas cruise again this year with Princess. We've already cruised on the Oasis and Allure. The Harmony would be something different - but even that one is a "been there, done that" cruise going to all the same places

does DCL have military discounts?

i know the disney world military discounts are quite significant..

i'm wondering if DCL has them as well..

the last time i looked, the DCL's florida resident discount wasn't that good...

but maybe the military one is better (assuming they have one)..

as for which to do...

i like both companies, so i'm torn...

although i've really wanted to do a southern caribbean cruise, so that might sway me.. :)

as for which to do...

although i've really wanted to do a southern caribbean cruise, so that might sway me.. :)

We saved about $2500 with the Florida resident rate. No military rates for this cruise. Dh is a past Navy vet, but I think DCL/WDW only gives their military discount for active military. (Correct me if I am wrong about that.) Princess ALWAYS gives shipboard credit to ALL past/current veterans. That is very nice. Plus they give shipboard credits to stockholders - DCL does not.

as for which to do...

There are military discounts. But not on all cruises. Only ones that aren't selling well (like the FL discounts). You can find them under Special Offers on the DCL website: https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/special-offers/military-rates/

There are military discounts. But not on all cruises. Only ones that aren't selling well (like the FL discounts). You can find them under Special Offers on the DCL website: https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/special-offers/military-rates/

DCL's military discounts are only for: "Special Military rates are available to all retired and active U.S. Military personnel (or spouse)"

So you have to be retired (not just served a number of years) or active. Dh served 6 years in the military but did not "retire" from the Navy.

Any hoo, the military rate is not available on the 11-nighter.

Princess gives shipboard credits to ALL past veterans no matter how many years served - not just active or retired.

P.S. WDW's Shades of Green resort, the military owned and operated resort on Disney World Property, opens its doors to non-retired vets only during the months of January and September.

Edited by metairiegal

We saved about $2500 with the Florida resident rate. No military rates for this cruise. Dh is a past Navy vet, but I think DCL/WDW only gives their military discount for active military. (Correct me if I am wrong about that.) Princess ALWAYS gives shipboard credit to ALL past/current veterans. That is very nice. Plus they give shipboard credits to stockholders - DCL does not.

WDW most definitely discounts for both active and vets. You need an official ID identifying you as a vet.

You can stay at Shades of Green (owned by the DoD) as well as the disney owned resorts.

Shades of Green is really nice.

You should check it out. Much better discounts than for florida residents (at WDW that is).

DCL's military discounts are only for: "Special Military rates are available to all retired and active U.S. Military personnel (or spouse)"

So you have to be retired (not just served a number of years) or active. Dh served 6 years in the military but did not "retire" from the Navy.

Any hoo, the military rate is not available on the 11-nighter.

Princess gives shipboard credits to ALL past veterans no matter how many years served - not just active or retired.

P.S. WDW's Shades of Green resort, the military owned and operated resort on Disney World Property, opens its doors to non-retired vets only during the months of January and September.

my very favorite month to visit WDW is september :)

i get what you're saying about retired vets..

DH is from DC, so i've met quite a few triple dippers :)

There is no military discount on the 11 night Southern *yet.* military discounts almost always come out after the pay in full date, which will be mid March for that cruise. I'm keeping an eye out for that one...I have a good feeling it will go military discount. I also have a feeling there will be lots of cancellations before PIF...

OP, I think the 11 night is a much better cruise than a 7 night Harmony. Way better ports of call, and there is a high likelihood that DCL won't repeat these longer Southern Caribbean itineraries next year. They have been a tough sell. Do it while you can!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

OP, I think the 11 night is a much better cruise than a 7 night Harmony. Way better ports of call, and there is a high likelihood that DCL won't repeat these longer Southern Caribbean itineraries next year. They have been a tough sell. Do it while you can!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Ha ha! I love that. It is EXACTLY what dh keeps saying! :)

Have you looked into cruising out of San Juan? Not sure who is sailing out of there in the summer, but those cruises are port intensive and often hit lesser visited ports. And, flights to San Juan from Florida are usually cheap. I understand your dilemma about the cost. We have cruised 6 different lines but only Disney once when we got an amazing Florida resident discount and had little kids then. Can't justify it now even though it is a great product. I'm sure you will be happy with your choice, whichever you go with.

Have you looked into cruising out of San Juan? Not sure who is sailing out of there in the summer, but those cruises are port intensive and often hit lesser visited ports. And, flights to San Juan from Florida are usually cheap. I understand your dilemma about the cost. We have cruised 6 different lines but only Disney once when we got an amazing Florida resident discount and had little kids then. Can't justify it now even though it is a great product. I'm sure you will be happy with your choice, whichever you go with.

Agree. A B2B on Adventure or Jewel gets you both Eastern and Southern Caribbean ports and San Juan is a great place to sail out of. I keep looking back at Disney but I can cruise Princess or Royal for literally half the price of other lines. Princess isn't sailing out of San Juan any more so we use Royal. Might do another Disney in a year or so when second granddaughter is old enough but can't justify it now.

OP here. We live in South Florida and are totally spoiled with being able to hop on a ship in Fort Lauderdale (Princess/RCCL/HAL, etc) or drive up to Port Canaveral for DCL. We don't want to fly for a cruise. (Have already done that - Alaska 4 times, Panama Canal and Hawaii.)

Normally I would choose the better value (Harmony). However, it isn't necessarily a good value if it's not what you really want to do. It sounds to me like you'd really prefer to go on the 11-night Fantasy cruise, and are looking for reasons to justify the extra expense.

Since you have sailed on Harmony's sister ships and visited all the ports - I'd probably choose the Fantasy with the new ports. The Harmony will be sailing those same itineraries for years to come, whereas Disney might do one longer Caribbean cruise per year - if that. (The Fantasy does have an 11-night Southern Caribbean cruise scheduled for June 30, 2018, and booking opened today for Gold Castaway Club members.) As long as you can afford the Disney cruise - follow your heart on this one.

Edited by NancyIL

Normally I would choose the better value (Harmony). However, it isn't necessarily a good value if it's not what you really want to do. It sounds to me like you'd really prefer to go on the 11-night Fantasy cruise, and are looking for reasons to justify the extra expense.

Since you have sailed on Harmony's sister ships and visited all the ports - I'd probably choose the Fantasy with the new ports. The Harmony will be sailing those same itineraries for years to come, whereas Disney might do one longer Caribbean cruise per year - if that. (The Fantasy does have an 11-night Southern Caribbean cruise scheduled for June 30, 2018, and booking opened today for Gold Castaway Club members.) As long as you can afford the Disney cruise - follow your heart on this one.

Thanks. I'm gonna have to go check out the 11-nighter for next year. But, we will NOT be doing it! :D

Last time we sailed with DCL, I thought that would be the last time due to their outrageous prices. But, somehow since we didn't have Summer plans, we have been sucked back in! I do love it, though.

Princess is not sailing from Fort Lauderdale this Summer, 2017. But, they will be back in the Summer, 2018. So, since we are Elite with them, we will definitely be going with them next year. But, first, we are sailing with Princess this Christmas either on the Crown or Royal - haven't booked it yet, but will be very soon.

Wow! I just checked out the Southern Caribbean Fantasy 11-nighter for Summer 2018. I guess they think the interest is there. With no Florida resident discount the lowest price in each category is:

Inside $8115, window $8291, balcony $9193, concierge $16,519

Our Florida resident rate for this year is $5851 (window).

Note: Our price went down from $5888 to $5851 due to port charges/taxes going down.

Wow! I just checked out the Southern Caribbean Fantasy 11-nighter for Summer 2018. I guess they think the interest is there. With no Florida resident discount the lowest price in each category is:

Inside $8115, window $8291, balcony $9193, concierge $16,519

Our Florida resident rate for this year is $5851 (window).

Note: Our price went down from $5888 to $5851 due to port charges/taxes going down.

Do you think they even paid attention to the fact that this cruise didn't sell out for 2017 and they needed to do discounts? Currently, every category is showing availability for 2017 at about the same prices you have quoted for 2018. But they must have sold reasonably well as the only special currently is the FL res discount (no military of *GTs on these cruises). These are really high priced cruises when you consider the length of the cruise.

Can you please tell me where you found this information? I just went to the Shades of Green website and cannot find this? As a veteran who served 11 years active duty, I would love to stay there! I really wish DCL gave a military discount to veterans like other cruise lines do. I book under Carnival's military rate all the time and just email them my DD 214 to prove eligibility.

Can you please tell me where you found this information? I just went to the Shades of Green website and cannot find this? As a veteran who served 11 years active duty, I would love to stay there! I really wish DCL gave a military discount to veterans like other cruise lines do. I book under Carnival's military rate all the time and just email them my DD 214 to prove eligibility.

Oops, after further investigation, I believe that offer is expired. Sorry about that. We had heard about it in the past and had considered it since dh spent 6 years in the Navy, but never booked with it. It is still showing on this website, but I believe it is old news. Sorry for the confusion but thanks for bringing it to my attention.

http://www.militarydisneytips.com/Shades-of-Green/Non-Retired-Veterans.html

Yes, we love Princess because they always give a shipboard credit to any past veteran. And, once they have your DD214 on file, they keep it in your record so you don't have to re-send it every time.

Oops, after further investigation, I believe that offer is expired. Sorry about that. We had heard about it in the past and had considered it since dh spent 6 years in the Navy, but never booked with it. It is still showing on this website, but I believe it is old news. Sorry for the confusion but thanks for bringing it to my attention.

http://www.militarydisneytips.com/Sh...-Veterans.html

Yes, we love Princess because they always give a shipboard credit to any past veteran. And, once they have your DD214 on file, they keep it in your record so you don't have to re-send it every time.

No problem, metairiegal! I will have to keep my eyes on any future deals with Shades of Green. I also like how Princess gives veterans OBC, but they are unfortunately not my cruise line of choice sailing with a child. I'm actually eyeing that 11-day Southern Caribbean sailing next June, but am trying to justify the extreme cost as I can't get any discounts (don't live in Florida)! Please let us know how it goes!!

Thanks for the advice, everybody. In the end (as you could see if my signature was covered up by the new design!), we decided to go with the 11-nighter with DCL.

I knew this is what you really wanted to do! Enjoy!

You asked for help choosing between two summer Caribbean cruises. Now - if you had asked for suggestions of where to cruise in the summer, I would've said somewhere a LOT cooler than the Caribbean, like Alaska, Canada, Northern Europe, or the Southern Hemisphere! I'm sure the Panama Canal ports will be plenty hot on my cruise there next April, and I can't imagine sailing in the Caribbean in the middle of summer.