Freedom of Seas dinner attire, non-formal nights

The cruise line specifically asks for no shorts in the dining room in the evening.

The thread could have ended right here, but I'm betting it doesn't, now to spend my lunch hour amusing myself.

While I personally would not wear shorts in the MDR (or specialty restaurants) unless specifically told it was acceptable, some may choose to do the following:

1. Wear shorts to the MDR on the first night of the cruise (they will allow it since not everyone has their luggage yet).

2. Explain to your wait staff that all you packed were shorts so, in light of the dress suggestions, you won't be eating in the MDR for the rest of the cruise.

3. The wait staff "won't hear of it", tell you not to worry about it and to "please come and dine with us!"

4. Wear shorts to the MDR for the rest of the cruise. If you are questioned at the entrance, explain that (insert waiter name here) gave you permission to come to the MDR dressed as you are.

I have no doubt that this would work. :rolleyes:

Would it be a fair assumption that the dress code changed with the start of My Time Dining? I could see some thinking My Time Dining equals dress as you wish as many are sitting with family only. Traditional dining however, where you sat with others, that you may not know, may have made people more aware of their attire. This is just a guess on my part as I never sailed during those days unfortunately. Maybe it happened then also?

What about for babies? He will be 15 months. Khaki shorts ok for him? I can't see him in dress pants and long sleeve button down with a tie on formal night either.

Awww! But babies look so cute in three piece suits. lol

Why not? It's not as easy to find the baby boy suits, but the photos are wonderful to look back at :)

2a0f88ea-c9eb-43d6-8dfa-9fd4973e5996.jpgf8306407-3901-4b33-9bd0-028ade2f7fc6.jpgcd705205-e3e8-4330-9798-d74f3ff7349d.jpg

Not sure why anyone in their right mind would want to drag all that stuff with them on a cruise. Plenty of other opportunities to get pictures like that. Maybe I just look at vacations differently.

Just got off the ship. They now have 3 levels of attire which is printed each day in the compass. Formal, smart casual and casual. Casual list shorts as acceptable. Every night that was not formal list casual as suggested dinner wear. The only time smart casual was used was at the chef's table and chops. Things have changed but in the 20 years I have been cruising and this is one. The only thing it stats now is no tank tops or bathing attire in main dinning room.

Just got off the ship. They now have 3 levels of attire which is printed each day in the compass. Formal, smart casual and casual. Casual list shorts as acceptable. Every night that was not formal list casual as suggested dinner wear. The only time smart casual was used was at the chef's table and chops. Things have changed but in the 20 years I have been cruising and this is one. The only thing it stats now is no tank tops or bathing attire in main dinning room.

Victory

OK..... I believe that is going to really upset the folks who don't like looking at hairy legs at dinner. No complaining to the waiters. I love it. 😀

Is it acceptable to wear nice cargo shorts with polo shirts on normal dinner nights? We went on cruise for honeymoon 20 years ago and do not remember wearing pants to dinner other than the formal nights.

You can wear shorts in the MDR on non gala nights.