Might have to cancel - leave 7th August

Im in bits and not thinking straight.

Completely out of the blue last night my 19 yo son had what they say is a "manic " episode. Luckily we got him mental health services help straight away and he is being treated at home by visiting doctors.

It may well be the case we have to cancel unless this was a one off thing brought on by huge stress. We are going to decide after a few days of seeing how he is and after speaking with the doctors

Im pysically not able to actually speak to anyone on the phone- I'll just start crying and having an anxiety attack

If we do have to cancel how to I do it please by not using a phone ? The cruise plus all excursions etc ?

I have full insurance and as this was completely out of the blue, They should pay out - I dont especially need to plead my case for a future cruise etc

Thanks for any help you can offer

I know exactly what you are talking about and have had to deal with such episodes. Hope everything is getting better now.

I would call your insurance first to find out what they need to process your claim. If you booked through a travel agent, you might be able to email them, or find out what their email address is and at least get the ball rolling. If you went through RC, I would expect you will have to look after this directly not via email, just for verification purposes.

Perhaps if a friend or someone calls and you be there to answer the questions. If going in to details is upsetting you, just say it is a "personal emergency". The cruise line probably doesn't need specific details.

I'm so sorry to read this-I had to cancel a cruise 4 days before after suffering a heart attack and as I booked directly with RC I had to ring them.

Perhaps getting someone else to ring on your behalf is a good idea? And get them to ring your insurance company too-RC refunded the prepaid gratuities and the taxes and port fees and we claimed the cost of the cruise.

I had to cancel recently due to the person I was traveling with having a medical issue that prevented them from traveling. I cancelled excursions right on the website. I called to cancel the actual cruise because I wanted to find out how to go about getting the insurance taken care of. Royal Caribbean provided me with an letter stating the portion that they were refunding and the portion that was being put in for insurance. Then they gave me the number for the insurance and I called them and they emailed the paperwork to submit. They were very nice and completely understanding. Good luck to you. Hope everything works out.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Do not e mail any of the generic customer service addresses. This close to your cruise you need to get in touch with someone that has the power to get things done for you quickly.

Try ayera-rodriguez@rccl.com

Give her as much information as you can regarding your booking and insurance. If you do not hear back by end of day Monday you will have no choice but to call.

Completely out of the blue last night my 19 yo son had what they say is a "manic " episode. Luckily we got him mental health services help straight away and he is being treated at home by visiting doctors.

It may well be the case we have to cancel unless this was a one off thing brought on by huge stress. We are going to decide after a few days of seeing how he is and after speaking with the doctors

Im pysically not able to actually speak to anyone on the phone- I'll just start crying and having an anxiety attack

If we do have to cancel how to I do it please by not using a phone ? The cruise plus all excursions etc ?

I have full insurance and as this was completely out of the blue, They should pay out - I dont especially need to plead my case for a future cruise etc

My thoughts and prayers are with you and our family.. i hope everything works out for y'all...

I'm so sorry, I understand what you are saying about not wanting to call and getting hysterical as I am the same way. Do you have a close friend or family member that can call for you? I think that would be better than finding a way to do it all on line. Again I am very sorry for your family and especially your son, how terrifying.

The cruise plus all excursions etc ?

You should be able to cancel all the excursions online now.

I'd say give it the weekend - then decide what to do on Monday.

Edited by Biker19

I recently had to cancel our cruise literally the day we were supposed to sail due to medical reasons. It was a Celebrity ship, but I would imagine the same rules apply? I called to say we would not be able to sail (also trying not to cry too much) and they were very helpful. Basically, I was told that as soon as you do not show, they refund any shore excursions, taxes, port fees, beverage package, etc. It was too late to cancel online. Before the cruise even ended, our credit card was refunded all of these charges. Then I just had to file all the paperwork to get reimbursed cruise fare from insurance company. Hope this helps.

So sorry you are going through this and hope the best for you and your family.

I recently had to cancel our cruise literally the day we were supposed to sail due to medical reasons. It was a Celebrity ship, but I would imagine the same rules apply? I called to say we would not be able to sail (also trying not to cry too much) and they were very helpful. Basically, I was told that as soon as you do not show, they refund any shore excursions, taxes, port fees, beverage package, etc. It was too late to cancel online. Before the cruise even ended, our credit card was refunded all of these charges. Then I just had to file all the paperwork to get reimbursed cruise fare from insurance company. Hope this helps.

So sorry you are going through this and hope the best for you and your family.

The OP is from the UK, so she needs to read up on how cancelling a cruise works under their booking rules. Their rules tend to be very different from ours in the states.

Do not e mail any of the generic customer service addresses. This close to your cruise you need to get in touch with someone that has the power to get things done for you quickly.

Try ayera-rodriguez@rccl.com

Give her as much information as you can regarding your booking and insurance. If you do not hear back by end of day Monday you will have no choice but to call.

I'm not saying that e-mailing this person won't be helpful, but I had to cancel two days before a cruise last March due to my husband coming down with the flu. (He did have a flu shot.) I called the regular number and explained and they canceled the cruise for us and told me what I would get back from Royal Caribbean and what the cruise insurance would cover. He gave me the insurance number and I called them. I was given a case number and told they would e-mail me the papers in a few days.

Royal did refund what they said they would the next day to our credit card and we received the insurance papers in a few days. We had to have a doctor fill out part of them, which he did willingly. We filled out the rest of the papers and sent them back and got the refund in about three weeks. We were refunded everything except the cost of the cruise insurance. :)

UPDATE - thank you ever so much for your kind words and helpful advice. Its truly appreciated.

My son has responded very well to the 24 hr induced sleep and meds they have put him on in just 48 hours. If he was say at 100% manic 2 days ago he is now down to about 30% and much calmer, far more rational and taking about normal things again including looking forward to his holiday.

It doesnt involve flights as its a round trip from UK. The worst thing it seems would be to cancel and leave him fretting and stressing at his lost holiday, and to try and keep things normal ( we cruise a lot ) and keep him active appears the best thing. He hasnt been aggressive or threatened to harm himself in any way.

We are talking to the longer term care team on Monday as the crisis team hand him over, and will discuss the issues then.

Ive researched the facilities of the medical centres with the teleaccess to psychiatric services etc. We have full insurance and a big balance credit card to settle on ship should it be necessary. It took 6 hours to see someone here in accident and energency. Being yards away from what would appear to be a state of the art medical centre is probably better care than we would get than here

You should be careful as your insurance would most likely NOT cover any treatment on-board of the ship as it is a pre-existing condition at this point - also RCI will most likely not be comfortable taking him on the ship.

What if it gets worse and they will kick you of the ship at the next stop - as they will not take the responsibility of treating him in their facilities?

You should talk to your insurance and RCI to make sure they will go along!

Good luck!

They are not needing to " treat " him - he is on meds just like hundreds of other passengers - its just in case of emergency peace of mind - same as anyone else. The insurance fully cover as long as a doctor hasnt said he cant travel - again the same as every other disabled person or person with a health condition that cruises every day.

You should be careful as your insurance would most likely NOT cover any treatment on-board of the ship as it is a pre-existing condition at this point - also RCI will most likely not be comfortable taking him on the ship.

What if it gets worse and they will kick you of the ship at the next stop - as they will not take the responsibility of treating him in their facilities?

You should talk to your insurance and RCI to make sure they will go along!

Good luck!

How are you making the determination that this is a "pre-existing" condition :confused:...According to the OP this is a first time episode and they had/have insurance in place prior to it I believe.

I'm not saying that e-mailing this person won't be helpful, but I had to cancel two days before a cruise last March due to my husband coming down with the flu. (He did have a flu shot.) I called the regular number and explained and they canceled the cruise for us and told me what I would get back from Royal Caribbean and what the cruise insurance would cover. He gave me the insurance number and I called them. I was given a case number and told they would e-mail me the papers in a few days.

Royal did refund what they said they would the next day to our credit card and we received the insurance papers in a few days. We had to have a doctor fill out part of them, which he did willingly. We filled out the rest of the papers and sent them back and got the refund in about three weeks. We were refunded everything except the cost of the cruise insurance. :)

I agree that calling would have been the best solution but in the OP's original post they specifically asked for suggestions other than calling.

OP...glad everything seems to be working out for you, enjoy your vacation.

UPDATE - thank you ever so much for your kind words and helpful advice. Its truly appreciated.

My son has responded very well to the 24 hr induced sleep and meds they have put him on in just 48 hours. If he was say at 100% manic 2 days ago he is now down to about 30% and much calmer, far more rational and taking about normal things again including looking forward to his holiday.

It doesnt involve flights as its a round trip from UK. The worst thing it seems would be to cancel and leave him fretting and stressing at his lost holiday, and to try and keep things normal ( we cruise a lot ) and keep him active appears the best thing. He hasnt been aggressive or threatened to harm himself in any way.

We are talking to the longer term care team on Monday as the crisis team hand him over, and will discuss the issues then.

Ive researched the facilities of the medical centres with the teleaccess to psychiatric services etc. We have full insurance and a big balance credit card to settle on ship should it be necessary. It took 6 hours to see someone here in accident and energency. Being yards away from what would appear to be a state of the art medical centre is probably better care than we would get than here

Best wishes to your family. Sounds like he's doing well and if you decide to go on this trip I hope you all have a wonderful vacation. Others may offer advice on what you should do but only you and your family can know what's right for you. :)

How are you making the determination that this is a "pre-existing" condition :confused:...According to the OP this is a first time episode and they had/have insurance in place prior to it I believe.

Well now that it is known he is sick - the insurance will not cover additional medical cost related to him going on vacation such as ship medical, medical in some port, flight back - unless some doctor signs he is 100% fit to travel before they go....

Edited by germanfflyer

Hi best wishes I hope all works out for you and your son.

However, I think you need to discuss this with his care team.

Also consider how relaxed will you be on a cruise ship leaving him out of sight I know that will probably be very hard and may put additional strains on all of you if he feels you are watching him all the time.

You also should discuss this with your insurance company (as even if you get ill before travel with a new 'thing' you are meant to let them know- on one occasion with me they disallowed a destination due to my diagnosis/ treatment). If you can't call email them.

You probably should also contact RCL - check conditions of carriage and inform them also.

You may find that a land based holiday may be more relaxing for this vacation until things settle.

all the best

Edited by fragilek

The doctors saw my son this morning. He is virtually back to normal and he's ok to travel. Honestly some of the responses on here are like he's a raving lunatic ! He's a young lad where things all got a bit too much - it happens a lot with a lot of people. Insurance will cover -ive checked as he is not travelling against medical advice and the medical team think it will be a good break for him. I bought good cover a while ago for this specific trip ( NOT an annual policy where there is a duty to notify changes as they go )

I dont remember signing a 50 page medical declaration when travelling on a cruise ship certifying Im 100% fit ! Merely a one page declaration about contagious things.

So using the same analogy as some posters here - anyone who is on heart meds should check with the cruise line first? Anyone with high BP? Anyone with anxiety or depression? Emphysema? osteo arthiritis ? Disabled ? CPAP machines? Obese ? Cancer? Etc etc ! .... No of course not !