Microwave on Independence?

Howdy all. Heading onto the Independence with a rather large group, and one of the group has food issues, so is preparing a number of her own meals before we board (will keep them in the fridge in her room). She has asked me if there is a microwave in the Windjammer, and I did not know, so I am asking you. So:

Is there a microwave in the Windjammer? If not, is there one anywhere on the ship that is available to guests?

As always, thanks in advance.

I don't recall having seen one, but the bigger issue is that those aren't refrigerators in the cabins - they're more like "slightly cool" boxes. I wouldn't trust them to keep food properly for more than a few hours.

She may be better off contacting special needs, and asking if they can store the food somewhere, and they could possibly reheat it for her in the MDR or something.

Have not seen a guest microwave on any ship.

I suggest contacting [noparse]special_needs@rccl.com[/noparse] with regard to dietary issues. Perhaps they can arrange access to a microwave or help find an alternative solution.

The "fridges" are just coolers, and only hold a few cans of soda. They are not suitable for keeping food at an appropriate temperature. There is no microwave in the Windjammer or any other venue.

Your friend should contact the special needs department.

There are no microwaves for guest use. There is no way to store spoilable food.

This plan needs to be rethinked....because it's not going to work.

Call special needs...tell them WHAT she/he needs, and go from there. If the foods are that difficult, then cruising isn't the best vacation for this person.

Howdy all. Heading onto the Independence with a rather large group, and one of the group has food issues, so is preparing a number of her own meals before we board (will keep them in the fridge in her room). She has asked me if there is a microwave in the Windjammer, and I did not know, so I am asking you. So:

Is there a microwave in the Windjammer? If not, is there one anywhere on the ship that is available to guests?

no and they will NOT reheat anything she brings aboard. also the on board coolers in the cabins are very small and are NOT true refrigerators.

she needs to contact Special Needs BEFORE she boards to address her dietary issues. anything she does bring aboard must be factory sealed and shelf stable.

I was under the impression that home-cooked foods are not allowed to be brought onboard, only pre-packaged items....

She/he should definitely call.

meh. they will allow baked items( like cookies and what not) and they let me bring my hand made chocolate covered cherries and hard candy, but I was NOT allowed to bring it OFF at any location. luckily the cherries were 'adult' so i had nooooo problem getting rid of them one night in the CL.

This person is going to have to seriously rethink her situation. She needs to contact special needs NOW (should be done six weeks in advance, but . . . .) to go over her dietary issues. She will NOT be allowed to bring her own meals, will not have anywhere to keep them from spoiling (as noted, little "cubes" in the cabins barely keep a can of Coke cool) and will have nowhere to heat them up. Maybe she should have considered this prior to booking, but they are great with handling special dietary needs on the ship IF you work with them.

Thank you all for the responses. No need for special services, we will improvise with the MDR and special requests (never had a problem with RCCL staff in getting moderate menu alterations before, as we are not talking serious allergies or anything).

And as to cooked foods, I guess I need to check the rules more carefully. We have always brought a few things from home (baked goods mainly), and never had them taken, so I just assumed that food would not be an issue. Who knew? (Obviously not me.)

FYI - A tip for if you ever want to keep anything cold in the refrigerators/cooling boxes: It is possible to turn these things into something resembling a real cooler (perfect for cooked foods, or even milk - but nothing frozen, of course), it just requires the judicious use of ice from the steward and some home-brought gallon-sized ziplocs.

Thank you all for the responses. No need for special services, we will improvise with the MDR and special requests (never had a problem with RCCL staff in getting moderate menu alterations before, as we are not talking serious allergies or anything).

And as to cooked foods, I guess I need to check the rules more carefully. We have always brought a few things from home (baked goods mainly), and never had them taken, so I just assumed that food would not be an issue. Who knew? (Obviously not me.)

FYI - A tip for if you ever want to keep anything cold in the refrigerators/cooling boxes: It is possible to turn these things into something resembling a real cooler (perfect for cooked foods, or even milk - but nothing frozen, of course), it just requires the judicious use of ice from the steward and some home-brought gallon-sized ziplocs.

While it is true that sometimes you can get home baked goods, etc, onboard, it is technically a USPH violation. For sure, home made "bagged" meals would not be allowed.

I keep ice in the fridge but it's still not cold enough to keep cooked food more than a day, unless you're lucky. I bring cheese and crackers to eat on the balcony and it stays fine.

I hope your friend is able to be accommodated in the MDR with foods she will enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

One of the problems with the dorm fridges in the rooms is they are inside cabinets. If you can prop the cabinet open they do a lot better. On some ships this is fairly easy, others not so easy. Haven't succeeding in getting one out of the cabinet yet.....

There are no microwaves for guest use. There is no way to store spoilable food.

This plan needs to be rethinked....because it's not going to work.

Call special needs...tell them WHAT she/he needs, and go from there. If the foods are that difficult, then cruising isn't the best vacation for this person.

rethinked??????

• 4 months later...

We have been gluten and dairy free since being diagnosed in 2007 and I am highly allergic to yeast. We always advise Special needs. In the E-mail we always get from Special Needs they state that we may bring snacks, cereal, or other foods onboard, but it must be commercially prepared and in unopened packages and must not require refrigeration or cooking.

She needs to e-mail Special needs and explain exactly what her dietary requirements are and see if they can accommodate her.

If they cannot provide the meals she requires, then she needs to look into another type of vacation, such as renting a house or condo at her destination of choice. That way she can cook whatever food she needs.

I was under the impression that home-cooked foods are not allowed to be brought onboard, only pre-packaged items....

She/he should definitely call.

I would talk with dining staff about her diet problems when she boards!