Mini Review - Enchantment (4th Time)

Just left Enchantment this morning and drove home from Miami. It was my 4th time sailing her, this time with my two kids, aunt, and grandmother. I'm a bullet-point person, so here is a mini review:

* First time leaving from Port Miami, and we arrived exactly 11:30 which was also our "appointment" boarding time. We practically walked right onto the ship. No line, no fuss. Smooth like Port Canaveral, not chaos like Port Everglades.

* It was my first time in an oceanview room, after only staying in balconies and junior suites. It was fine and I could do it again, although the shower was microscopic.

* Windjammer was better than usual, especially breakfast which is my least favorite meal of the day and my least favorite Windjammer meal. Most notable was the improvement of the corned beef hash, which I love when it is good but won't touch when it is bad. I couldn't tell if it was a new recipe, but definitely better than I remember.

* I tried the complimentary Windjammer coffee for the first time (I usually get Starbucks from Cafe Latte-Tudes in the morning). Windjammer coffee is definitely not the same as MDR coffee, which is a shame. I love coffee with dessert in the MDR, but I couldn't take a second sip of the Windjammer coffee.

* Also in Windjammer, I noticed fewer of the gelatinous mousse type desserts and more selection. I still didn't have any of the desserts because I would rather save those calories for MDR desserts, Ben & Jerry's ice cream, and Starbucks drinks, but maybe someone else will benefit from that information.

* There were new pastries in Cafe Latte-Tudes, some of which were really good. We had the strawberry lemon tart which was beautiful to look at but just okay on taste. On the other hand, the unattractive "mud cake" muffin was delicious. The "Led Zeppoles" were cake-y doughnut holes (not the yeast type) with lemon zest in them, and they were good.

* I knew we would have on-board immigration before we could leave the ship in Key West, but I guess I never looked into the time that this occurs or how long it takes. It was almost noon before we got off the ship, which meant we spent our Key West time in the hottest part of the day. We did a hop-on-hop-off bus tour and we were all pretty miserable by the end of it. The weather was much nicer in the Bahamas. I'll never do a cruise with a Key West stop again in July, maybe not at all with immigration taking half the day.

* We had a cabana in Coco Cay (my grandmother and aunt were in a suite, so they got it). The cabana was amazing to have. The upgraded lunch buffet was incredible with shrimp, ribs, steak, and a watermelon salad that I could eat all day. "Desserts" though were fruit kabobs and breads (like banana bread or something?? I didn't try it because the calories aren't worth it if it's not a real dessert)

* The thing that would be the "cherry on top" for Coco Cay - ice cream somewhere on the island, either a soft serv machine or a sundae kiosk. That would be great.

* Every night in the MDR, our server brought us additional dishes that we didn't order, just so we could try them. That was a nice touch.

* We had My Time Dining for the first time. It was okay, but I prefer traditional.

* Entertainment: I was SO HAPPY there was no juggling act this time. We had The Magic of Puck instead, and he was charming and entertaining. My kids loved his show. "Can't Stop the Rock" was just okay. "Stage to Screen" is better - hit or miss on some songs, but I love the "Chicago" set.

Perhaps this wasn't as "mini" a review as i originally thought, but there it is. We loved our cruise and started planning an Alaska cruise for 2018. Husband and I cruised Alaska for our honeymoon on Princess, and I'm excited to go again and take our kids this time, probably with the land tour.

I knew we would have on-board immigration before we could leave the ship in Key West, but I guess I never looked into the time that this occurs or how long it takes. It was almost noon before we got off the ship, which meant we spent our Key West time in the hottest part of the day. We did a hop-on-hop-off bus tour and we were all pretty miserable by the end of it. The weather was much nicer in the Bahamas. I'll never do a cruise with a Key West stop again in July, maybe not at all with immigration taking half the day.

Hi,

Thanks for this mini review. We are doing the same 4 night cruise on 19th September. How bad was the immigration? We are from the UK, did they have different lines for US citizens and people who are from outside the US like at airports?

Did they do it by deck / cabin grade or C&A level?

We are looking forward to it.

Thanks

Steven :)

Non-U.S. Citizens lined up outside the Main Dining Room. U.S. Citizens lined up outside the theater. We were called by muster station. The higher your muster station number, the longer you will wait. We were 8 out of 12. There are crew members directing you as you approach whichever room you are assigned.

Procedurally, it was smooth and didn't take long to show our Sea Pass Card to a crew member and our passport to a U.S. immigration officer. Then you can head down to Deck 1 to walk off the ship. There were just a lot of people to get through. And they ask you to wait in a public area on the ship, to make sure you can hear your muster station when called and be near your designated space. So we spent the later half of the morning just sitting in the Centrum lounge chairs, waiting to be called.

Part of the issue is how late the process starts - not until 9:30 a.m. I'm sure there's a reason they can't/don't start earlier, but it seemed late to me, considering how long it takes to get everyone through, and we had to be back on ship at 5:30 p.m.

I don't understand.

You sailed from Miami and had to do 'Immigration' before disembarking in Key West?

How's come?

Because we went Miami --> Bahamas --> Key West. Something to do with entering a different U.S. port after going to a foreign country. Then we sailed back to Miami to disembark.

Edited by emory2001

Loved reading your review:)

We leave on the September 5th cruise. Only question I have and can't remember from sailing before: does the Windjammer have outside seating?

I save my calories for special desserts, too;)

Yes, there is outside seating by the pool, aft of the buffet.

I used my phone to type this, excuse any typos please!

So, seapass and passport? I've never taken my passport off the ship only my driver's license. Does it have to be a passport?

Thanks!

Immigration takes place on the ship. As soon as possible after docking in Key West, the Immigration officials come on board and set up the process. As said before, the ship doesn't actually dock until about 9:30. Those with shore excursions through Royal go thru first, then suite passengers/Pinnacles/Diamond Plus and then they start the process of letting others go through based on Muster Station numbers.

After you see the immigration officers, the staff punches a hole in your seapass card to indicate that you have been through. Security does look at your card before letting you off the ship.

Just off the Enchantment 7 - 22 . Great cruise, great crew, wish they would schedule Key West as first port stop, thus eliminating the customs check, it would give the passengers more time in Key West.

You are so brilliant - I never thought of that. I wonder why they don't:confused:

Perhaps because it makes perfect sense? I must be missing something obvious - but there would be more happy people not waiting for a customs check.

How much are cabanas going for these days there? I looked online but don't see an option to book it.

We are in a suite and no email from concierge....does anyone have the email address for the Enchantment concierge?