Atlantis Alcoholic Drink Package

rjmig88

I'm a first time cruiser and just finished registering for my first Atlantis Cruise for Royal Caribbean's Navigator of the Seas cruise this January. I was a bit disappointed by there being no alcoholic drink package but doing some online research I understand why - Royal makes more money in a single night on an Atlantis cruise than they do any other week of normal cruising.

If I order the Royal Replenish Package, which includes virgin cocktails, will they give me a discount on an alcoholic cocktail? Say an alcoholic margarita is $8 and a virgin one is $4, would they give someone a discount of $4 if they purchased the full alcoholic version?

Thanks!

Edited by rjmig88

If they sold the alcoholic package on the Atlantis cruise, Royal Caribbean would go bankrupt. One year they ran out of Grey Goose and had to get more in one of the ports.

I do not think you'll get a discount on alcoholic drinks.

Wow that is crazy that they ran out of Grey Goose. :) I asked this question in the Royal Caribbean forum and they don't discount drinks on that package. The best you could probably do is get the free virgin one then pay for a shot to go with.

Edited by rjmig88

FYI--drink packages usually aren't available on any charters sailings; not just Atlantis or RSVP. I was told that drink sales are 2X to 3X more than a regular sailing. They still do offer non-alcohol drink packages on Atlantis.

• 5 months later...

I doubt I'm the only one who found the term "alcoholic drink package" amusing.

Gay charters are always more expensive than standard straight cruises. You can get the straight discount if you book a gay group cruise such as Pied Piper, Brand g or All Out Vacations though.

I have found the gay group cruises to be more sedate than RSVP or Atlantis but easier to make new friends.

Gay charters are always more expensive than standard straight cruises. You can get the straight discount if you book a gay group cruise such as Pied Piper, Brand g or All Out Vacations though.

I have found the gay group cruises to be more sedate than RSVP or Atlantis but easier to make new friends.

People who don't drink alcohol buy non alcoholic drink package, what would the American non amusing term be?

Unlike most gay people, I am not a heavy drinker. I dont smoke, and I am a republican. Go figure.

Not sure what political affiliation has to do with it. :confused:

Not a heavy drinker, not a smoker and I am Democrat.

Edited by Boytjie

I have been on 6 or 7 Atlantis cruises and none of them offered an alcohol package except the Atlantis Tahiti cruise on Oceania this April. There were some people who got the package and did nothing for much of the cruise but order drinks to get their monies worth. It was pretty stupid in my opinion to try and max out the drinks you could get because the whole point of the cruise was, in my mind anyway, to see the scenery and ports in French Polynesia.

I remember the story about an RSVP cruise that drank a Holland America ship out of vodka the first night :)

No,it wasn't HAL the first RSVP charters was in 1986 on Bermuda Star Lines out of New Orleans. All of the other mainstream cruise line wouldn't touch a gay charter, but smaller lines like defunct Bermuda Star would. Yes, they did run out of Vodka half way thru the cruise and had to reload at the first port of call. The other issue since it was an older ship was that as people were getting ready for dinner certain section of the ship would blow a fuse from all the hair dryers being run. LOL

From Travel Weekly 7/18/2006:

In the beginning

This now-booming travel niche had a humble start just two decades ago with a single, albeit sold-out, sailing in 1986. That first 770-passenger, all-gay cruise charter, the brainchild of RSVP Vacations founder Kevin Mossier, set sail on Bermuda Star Lines Bermuda Star from New Orleans to the western Caribbean. (The first-ever all-gay cruise technically occurred in December 1974, when New York operator The Islanders Club chartered Paquet Cruises Renaissance for a weeklong Caribbean sailing; however, no further charters followed.)

I wondered if it was a package you could only buy one day at a time :D

So the official reason why no drink package is offered is that a). the Atlantis cruises are 95+% male, who drink more than women, and b). gay men maybe drink more than str8 men, and c). the average age is more like 40 than, say, 60 on str8 cruises. So how to explain that the Atlantis resorts in Cancun and PV have been offering drinks included ("free") for many years? The resorts meet all 3 of those criteria above. Does Atlantis charge more for a week in Cancun and PV than what is offered other weeks of the year at those resorts?

So the official reason why no drink package is offered is that a). the Atlantis cruises are 95+% male, who drink more than women, and b). gay men maybe drink more than str8 men, and c). the average age is more like 40 than, say, 60 on str8 cruises. So how to explain that the Atlantis resorts in Cancun and PV have been offering drinks included ("free") for many years? The resorts meet all 3 of those criteria above. Does Atlantis charge more for a week in Cancun and PV than what is offered other weeks of the year at those resorts?

It has nothing to do with being gay, male or age. :confused:

That Atlantis resorts that had drinks included had it included for all the guests. The cruise lines will allow charters to have these drinks packages is everyone on the ship has it. That would up the price and would not be fair to those that do not drink alcohol.

It is not just gay charters that don't have the drinks packages, other charters do too.

How many people on a regular cruise know other people on the ship? How many people on a gay charter know other people on the ship? After 11 RSVP cruises I know quite a few! So if I have the package I could easily "buy" my friends - that don't have it - some drinks.

Edited by Boytjie