Just Off Sojourn

Joc123

Sometimes it seems to be getting harder to post on here without people getting up in arms and defensive. That can be a problem with written word rather then face to face........things don't always coming across in the right context.

Now I am lucky enough to know both medroots and Chairsin and both are open minded and supportive of change. That doesn't mean they have to like every change, but they are willing to try new things. Chairsin was the one who educated me about the Ad Hoc concept and Humboldt Fog cheese and I know she is looking forward to trying out the TK menus in June.

For myself there were some good things about TK and some I didn't care for. I think it can depend on the night as well. For example we had the prime rib meal one night and loved it but then we had it a few weeks later and it wasn't as good. I thought the meat was okay but not very tender.

I personally don't worry if people have multiple days on Seabourn or if it is their first time, whether they are young or old. It is more about the person and their attitude to life. Luckily, for the most part, I have met many wonderful people on board.

Julie

Sometimes it seems to be getting harder to post on here without people getting up in arms and defensive. That can be a problem with written word rather then face to face........things don't always coming across in the right context.

Now I am lucky enough to know both medroots and Chairsin and both are open minded and supportive of change. That doesn't mean they have to like every change, but they are willing to try new things. Chairsin was the one who educated me about the Ad Hoc concept and Humboldt Fog cheese and I know she is looking forward to trying out the TK menus in June.

For myself there were some good things about TK and some I didn't care for. I think it can depend on the night as well. For example we had the prime rib meal one night and loved it but then we had it a few weeks later and it wasn't as good. I thought the meat was okay but not very tender.

I personally don't worry if people have multiple days on Seabourn or if it is their first time, whether they are young or old. It is more about the person and their attitude to life. Luckily, for the most part, I have met many wonderful people on board.

Julie

Julie,

Amen! This is exactly what we are hoping for as we look forward to our first of what I hope will be more cruises aboard Seabourn. We have been booked for about 18 months and now it is within our grasp! This is not something we have the luxury of doing every year, so a month of travel with an incredible itinerary on this cruise line is going to be a very special experience for us.

i c

Julie,

Amen! This is exactly what we are hoping for as we look forward to our first of what I hope will be more cruises aboard Seabourn. We have been booked for about 18 months and now it is within our grasp! This is not something we have the luxury of doing every year, so a month of travel with an incredible itinerary on this cruise line is going to be a very special experience for us.

pdx13 I wish you a lovely and wonderful cruise! Please don't be upset by the Seaborn Snotties who bemoan every little change as some 911 disaster. Seabourn strives to deliver personal touches with a warm and welcoming angle. If you have never cruised Seabourn you will be amazed at the lovely staff, well appointed rooms and the interesting itineraries. I have cruised Seabourn and have enjoyed everytime and prefer to keep my nose out of the air and just enjoy the trip rather than gripe at turn about what isn't and enjoy was is. The saying goes "enjoy the donut and not the hole." Yes there are some changes:

• changes in the size of the soap (GASP!)
  • an extraneous fruit bowl in the suite (please call your suite steward if you wish to have one and it will be delivered each and every day!)
  • bread plate at the TK restaurant (I am sure if you ask for an extra plate one could be provided or you could be terribly American and just place your bread on your dinner plate)
  • No more tableside flambe (not much to assist with tableside, but feel free to ask for special orders as the staff are more than willing to accomodate.
  • due to health concerns some foods are no longer served buffet style
  • The ships are bigger than the dated little sisters but they also include some REALLY nice upgrades that include true balconies, Seabourn Square with coffee shop, upgraded spa and expanded dining options

If you can deal with these atrocities then you will have a lovely cruise!

Pdx13,

If you go in with that attitude you will have a wonderful time. Be nice to the hard working crew, address then by name and they will repay you with wonderful personalized service. But then of course you will be hooked on Seabourn !

Julie

This makes sense to me. When "the chef" is not present, his (or her) dishes can end up being hit or miss. Ingredients can change from delivery to delivery. Butter, for example, at different times of the year can have more or less water, and recipes need to be modified last minute, etc.

In 2014, when discussing possible alternatives for R2 with the Hotman on board, he had mentioned bringing on guest chefs for a certain period of time. The idea sounded like a good one, but could also end up as a planning nightmare. Shortly after this conversation, Seabourn announced the partnership with Thomas Keller. Also a great idea, but we all have to understand that those preparing his dishes are not TK trained cooks and there will be hiccups from time to time.

I give credit to Seabourn for it's originality in this decision. Hopefully I will be able to be on board soon and sample some of these dishes myself.

On our last cruise the ship was full but it was announced only 14 were sailing with Seabourn for the first time!

Wow! And I thought it was bad on the current TA where they had to bring extra chairs into the back of the Grand Salon for the Club Party where several couples (including our own Roxburgh) received their 200 night awards.

I've seen minimal evidence of "old timer" vs "newer guest" issues on board. Sure, I've heard a few wistful comments about the Little Sisters but most have been followed by a "but". Like "we loved the intimacy of the Little Sisters but the pool and hot tub were too crowded and so these ships are much better" or "we enjoyed eating out on the deck every night but hated having to call promptly at noon every day to get a reservation". I've only met one couple who insists that the Little Sisters are superior and they are not in the older/traditional demographic.

We've had a lotion passengers who know the limits to which Seabourn will go to make guests happy so we've seen lots of special orders in the Restaurant, large guest-hosted tables in the MDR, caviar orders by the pool, cocktail parties in suites, etc. This is a group that knows how to work what Seabourn can offer, but I haven't seen any abuse or sense of entitlement.

I think the bigger issue I've seen is not one of old-timer/new guest. It's one of entitlement versus graciousness. I'm still appalled at how hard it is for some people to use please/thank you, to smile and exchange pleasantries with others (both fellow guests and staff). And I'm sorry, but no one is entitled to a reserved stool at the Observation Bar or Sky Bar, a special table in the Colonnade or MDR, or to monopolize the time of staff who are mingling.

I think Cruise Critic tends to get the outlier ends of the passenger spectrum. Individuals post one-off experiences or exceptions solely for the sake of reaction... and we react!

I think many of these issues will continue to simmer - the published schedules through summer 2017 so a continuing trend of marketing lots of 7 night cruises where Seabourn will work hard to squeeze in all the Seabourn Momemts and Signature Experiences into one week to try to meet the high bar set both by returning guests and new cruisers. I think we would all be well-reminded to keep this in mind as well as that Seabourn has a LOT of change coming up (with the TK roll outs, the Encore builds, with inevitable change in the industry and line, and with new destinations like Alaska!) - that will no doubt continue to evolve the brand we all so passionately love

Generally speaking, we rarely get to please all the people all the time. So some don't like TK but some do. Most are in the middle. And pre-Keller there were more than a few who were ambiguous about R2 (including me). What matters is that there are alternatives - which there are - and that the quality of food and service is maintained - which it has been on this Quest cruise.

Some liked the little ships but I prefer the bigger ones. I like a ship where I have a real veranda, where my head doesn't hit the ceiling when I use a treadmill, where water doesn't come into my suite because a wave hits the window (happened on Pride), where the hot water works all the time and where I have a bigger choice of restaurants and bars.

Seabourn is clearly doing something right because the ships are full and most are repeat offenders. And we will be on Seabourn once more in a few months as we have put our deposits down. The formula works despite the great wailing, tearing of hair and gnashing of teeth on Cruise Critic.

I think the bigger issue I've seen is not one of old-timer/new guest. It's one of entitlement versus graciousness. I'm still appalled at how hard it is for some people to use please/thank you, to smile and exchange pleasantries with others (both fellow guests and staff).

I don't think either category of guest is immune from entitlement issues. Especially after reading some of the snit fits in this thread:eek:.

And I'm sorry, but no one is entitled to a reserved stool at the Observation Bar or Sky Bar, a special table in the Colonnade or MDR, or to monopolize the time of staff who are mingling.

I agree. However I did have a bartender who was saving a Skybar seat state that passengers with a massive amount of days were extra equal. I haven't seen that since then, but I got the impression that the passenger didn't ask for it rather the staff member did it of their own volition.

Three pages of gripes, completely overwhelmed by a comment that on a current trip, a mere 14 are first time cruisers. As a first time cruiser on Odyssey in June, I have no doubt that the other 400 "regulars" are telling me that it will be wonderful experience, inside and outside the dining rooms.

Muddle

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I am sure it will be a wonderful experience, Muddle. Recent 'gripes' have been mainly about smoking, as usual, which is allowed in too many places on Seabourn, and the change in the menus to the new Thomas Keller regime, for some of the meals and venues. There have been some genuine problems, understandably, in getting these right, and I suspect some regulars have felt that they were being used a bit as guinea pigs on these dishes as they gradually got up to standard. It has been quite difficult, I am sure, to train staff both on board and in TK's restaurant galleys, without a certain amount of hit and miss. By the time you are on Odyssey things should be more certain, but the only ship to have the full TK experience will be Quest until the other ships have had dry dock alterations.

Muddle I interpret the recent reviews as in part providing those of us who have sailed on SB before with notice of what changes have been made so we are aware in advance of our next cruise and not caught off guard. For myself at least very few would fall into the category of "gripes". To my reading it sounds as though yes, there have been some missteps in the TK rollout but they are working through them. Only when R2 restaurant has been converted and they have more control over the prep and serving of the dishes will it be possible to fairly critique the cuisine. Sadly the Odyssey will not have been converted by our cruise but I am looking forward to the full TK on our December cruise. The bottom line is I know I will not starve to death and will enjoy dining on SB as always.

Do agree with Lincslady thought that the one change we wish the would make is the smoking policy. In any event I hope that my DH and I can be among the 400 (or whatever number it is) to meet you on our June cruise and share some fun experiences on a great ship with an outstanding crew.