Seabourn just Tweeted about the Spa Retreat on Encore

Nigella

Some of you mentioned that you had a questionnaire asking if you'd like an exclusive cabana type experience onboard.

I've just been told that SB tweeted that it will go ahead on Encore. Charging $350 per day. I think the amount of people the area will hold is 15. A "tranquil rooftop getaway" is how SB describes it.

I wasn't keen on this when it was mentioned in the questionnaires and I'm less keen now.

The TK restaurant will be called The Grill. I like the 2 pictures that I've seen.

I can't get a link right now.

$350 a day seems awfully steep. Even luxury spas and cabanas don't charge that per person unless it includes something else that I'm missing. And I'm not sure what it could include - right now I can order champagne and caviar poolside for what is already included in the price of the cruise.

Heck, I do the VIP cabanas in places like Las Vegas and we don't pay that much per person and the pricing usually includes food and alcohol credit. I've never seen a $350/day serene area pass for a spa either (unless it was a package including a spa credit).

I hope they come out with more details quickly - this seems insane and I can't imagine it getting much use unless it becomes some kind of new perk that can be chosen by Seabourn Club tiers as a free option.

$350 a day seems awfully steep. Even luxury spas and cabanas don't charge that per person unless it includes something else that I'm missing. And I'm not sure what it could include - right now I can order champagne and caviar poolside for what is already included in the price of the cruise.

Heck, I do the VIP cabanas in places like Las Vegas and we don't pay that much per person and the pricing usually includes food and alcohol credit. I've never seen a $350/day serene area pass for a spa either (unless it was a package including a spa credit).

I hope they come out with more details quickly - this seems insane and I can't imagine it getting much use unless it becomes some kind of new perk that can be chosen by Seabourn Club tiers as a free option.

I'm reporting all of this via someone else, so not first hand, but reliable source. I believe there will be a champagne 'menu' in there, presumably not the Feuillaté stuff, and included.

I agree about the $350 a day and I'm hoping that's incorrect, but it came from a TA .

eta - I've just been told that prices will START at $350 a day. Surely that can't be right?

Edited by Nigella

First, the R2 makeover looks a lot better than the current decor. Remains to be seen if the food is also better.

Second, I should imagine that Seabourn will adjust its pricing for the SPA area if they don't get the business. There will be a point where pricing and demand align. Maybe they will also discount it for Diamond, platinum, etc. members which could make it more attractive. Personally, I'm not all that bothered. Me and serene don't really go together..

We can all guess as to what the package will be but let's just wait and see what Seabourn announce.

We all know how much of a white elephant the outside spa and massage cabanas were on the Odyssey class ships as now they have been converted into proper suites.

My own view would be that however much we are charged for the new cabanas however lovely they look in the pictures,they will not be used by many guests at all.i can however see them more popular with crew when they have their deck parties.

Now what I *could* see this being used (and marketed) for is events... weddings, anniversary celebrations, family groups, corporate rewards, travel agencies, etc.

We've seen complaints here before about a group taking over the Club or a section of the pool deck or whatnot for their own purposes. Now Seabourn can actually market that and provide a classy exclusive venue for that.

Heck... if I ever find myself a gentleman who likes cruising/travel as much as me, the idea of an onboard wedding suddenly became intriguing. Buying that space out for a day or two doesn't seem that unreasonable considering venue pricing for other things on land!

I agree about the $350 a day and I'm hoping that's incorrect, but it came from a TA .

eta - I've just been told that prices will START at $350 a day. Surely that can't be right?

This is, in fact, what was announced today at the Seatrade conference today. It seems absurd.

This is, in fact, what was announced today at the Seatrade conference today. It seems absurd.

Yes, you're right, it came to me from a TA friend. I couldn't link to her information as it was coming to me, because it contained her TA details which of course is not allowed on CC. She checked first that SB had announced publically (hence I mentioned Twitter), before she told me about it.

Anyway, it's official now on CC. Here's the link from the Sticky at the top of the board :

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6892

On the subject of The Grill, I like the drawings I've seen both of the R2 conversion ( they would have struggled to make it worse!) and the Encore.

Edited by Nigella

Heck... if I ever find myself a gentleman who likes cruising/travel as much as me, the idea of an onboard wedding suddenly became intriguing. Buying that space out for a day or two doesn't seem that unreasonable considering venue pricing for other things on land!

Agreed!

Funny you should mention an onboard wedding. A friend of mine asked me about that at weekend, if I knew whether SB conducted marriages onboard. I told her I don't know. I've never seen one during our cruises, but that space would be perfect for a small gathering.

There is already less exterior deck space on Encore per passanger than on the Odyssey class ships and this will be made more acute by using the the top deck as a Cabana area the more so if it is underutilised at $350 / per day/cabana or guest.

The new decor in the old R2 area looks a vast improvement but I wished they hadn't brought in the prior on line reservation system favoured by some competitors - how anyone makes there mind up weeks before they board where they want to eat on a particular night just baffles me. Will it be opened at lunch time - if not the Colonnade will be a bigger scrum than on the existing ships.

The CC announcement is not totally clear whether the present Keller Ad Hoc utilisation of the Colonnade will still contine once the chop house is opened.

Overall the information about the new ships so far makes me favour the Odyssey class ships.

Agree O class will become to many what the Little Sisters are to a lot of people. We loved the Sisters but found that the O ships offered a lot of things they didn't - verandas being one great addition, plus the Square. The"New Builds" so far, without experiencing them, seem to be geared more towards mass market audience that need to have that exclusive experience - which really Seabourn as it is defines, not sure why the base will be interested in exclusive deck seats. Time will tell, I know I was disappointed with what was sold as the"Maiden Voyage". 3rd sailing, really?

The more I think about this news, the more excited I get?

Why? Because we have a new topic to complain about (finally)!!! :D

Slightly off topic but I have something else to complain about. I'm onboard Sojourn and it is now necessary to book the Colonnade EVERY night - not just TK nights. This IMO, limits the choices for dining especially as the weather has been bad and the patio has not been available. Also the "famous" Napa burger is not available. Apparently one ingredient is not available! The Seabourn we know and love is changing.

Joc123 can you answer a question for some fellow Adeladians? We have always liked the ability to go to Colonnades and dine outside without booking. Does the new "system" mean that you have to book particular tables? If that's the case it seems a very backward step! We will be on Quest in about 5 weeks, so hoping it's not the case. Look forward to catching up with you and Ron again in our travels.

I'm also not too excited about this...

"Passengers can dine at The Grill once per voyage, and they can pre-reserve online"

I don't think there was ever a doubt that this would be the case. It isn't fair that some guests hog the restaurant. If there is spare capacity I'm sure it will be possible to dine more than once as is currently the case with R2 but it is essential that all guests who want to experience the venue can do so.

I presume "per voyage" means per leg of your journey.

Given the make up of guests and on board operations I don't anticipate a mad rush to pre book online. The whole joy of SB is that flexibility afforded when on board but Seattle need to dot the i's and cross the t's.

$350 per day plus would be easily affordable to some guests and who knows, possibly it becomes a loyalty perk with the high price tag adding to the perceived value.

As Mr L says, let's see what you get for your money when it opens.

Henry :)

I am not clear what the concerns are all about relative to booking tables in the Colonnade now on Sojourn. As it was explained to me by the maitre d' of Odyssey, this is a trial aimed to IMPROVE service and food quality with the reservation system smoothing out the seating of guests while also preparing the staff for the expected number of guests. In the past they had so idea on demand.

This makes sense. It does not limit the total number of diners; it is a large venue and will always be second in demand relative to the MDR.

The sky is not falling and I am not sure what's triggering alarm bells. Let's give the new procedures a chance to bed down and deliver the envisaged benefits. Ok?

Happy sailing!

In progressing this Seabourn demonstrates a lack of understanding of its core customer base. As capacity is increased in the luxury segment, competitors invest in new builds and new entrants emerge they are taking an enormous long term risk for short term revenue gain.Dull thinking INMHO.