Ko Kood, Thai Island Beach Party

stefmo

We were disappointed with the beach, but that's because it was rather cloudy in the morning when we were there and it was also (very) low tide , so the beach didn't look very pretty. It's certainly a sandy beach though. We didn't stay long after lunch but I'm sure that it was much more beautiful when the tide began to come back in. Most guests didn't return until around 4pm.

It's set in a little bay with lots of vegetation on either side, a fairly typical looking Thai island.

I have some photos but have never learned how to upload to CC.

Uploading to CC is imo a waste of time. No matter how good your images are CC uses some shoddy algorithm to truncate them down to postage stamp size. The best (imo) way to share images on CC is via an image host such as SmugMug or Photobucket, etc...

If you have a few pictures you'd like to see hosted for this thread, you could email them to me and I can host them (baychilla at gmail dot com).

It's funny how different people see things differently.

We were there on Sojourn Christmas Eve and really loved our day there. Got off about 12.00 noon and stayed the rest of the day.

Very well catered by Seabourn, full drinks service, good BBQ. Found shade under some trees just before the beach massage area and chilled out chatting with people. Met a few people who we chatted with the rest of the cruise. Water sports sign up was a bit chaotic but got out on a doughnut. Had a particularly nice swim in the lagoon area just to the left of the bridge as you walk onto the beach.

One of the nicest days we had on the cruise.

Thailand does have a bit of tide and many of the beaches are shallow quite a long way out which means as the tide falls the water recedes a fair distance. Means you can wander out and not immediately be swimming. Ko Kut (Ko Kood is part of Ko Kut Islands) is seen as one of the go to areas amongst the boating community here in Thailand and a real treat.

There is a very brief glimpse of the beach from about 1:14 in the video

FjZRHIP4Fok

Henry :)

Hi Emperor,

There actually my photos and thank you for posting them.:)

Julie

The photos are from our December cruise in 2010. We were sailing on Pride but I think the general format is the same on the bigger ships. We enjoyed our day there even with the shallow water.......which was lovely and warm for that reason.

Julie

It's funny how different people see things differently.

I am convinced that Seabourn has a niche in attracting a small (but lucrative) segment of customers who travel solely to have something new and different to complain about.

(My perceptions my be colored by some recent - but completely off topic - appalling passenger behaviors I have witnessed... at some point, I will start a new thread!)

I loved my day in Ko Kood but I know some people haven't been as lucky with the tides. I even know someone who didn't get a chance to experience it as it was too rough and they had to cancel. So perceptions can vary due to different experiences.

Though I have also experienced seeing the complaints for amazingly small or to my mind non-existent issues. But they must have been important to them I guess. Though I wish some people would learn to express their disappointment in a more appropriate manner.

Jenidallas I really enjoyed your review of TK on your blog. I too think once it is in it's own dedicated restaurant it will be better received and understood. I felt it caused a bit of a problem with service in the MDR but by the time we left after 54 days the Head Chef had sorted out that problem as well.

Julie

I wish some people would learn to express their disappointment in a more appropriate manner.

I agree. We weren't sure whether to be shocked or amused last night at dinner when the gentleman next to us began repeatedly beating the handle of his knife against the table (like an angry toddler) to get the waiters attention. He was very angry that they had been seated for less than 15 minutes and yet his steak (or his wife's TWO large bowls of off-menu pasta) had failed to materialize.

I do wonder how Seabourn finds these customers....

Edited by jenidallas

Err.. I wasn't complaining!:confused: I was describing what I saw on that island on that day that I was there !

I did say I was sure it was much more beautiful if it was sunny and the tide was closer.

I also said that it probably was much nicer for the guests who stayed later than we did as the tide changed and it got a bit sunnier. We went back to the ship fairly early, and not because we weren't enjoying the day. Many others stayed as long as tender times allowed.

I've sent a pic to Emperor Norton. It's not the best picture, I just point and click when I take a picture, I'm no photographer!

It shows the island as we saw it.

It's obvious that what Henry and Julie saw when they were there was different to what we saw - simply because of the combination of weather and tide. That's what I said in my original post.

Err.. I wasn't complaining!:confused: I was describing what I saw on that island on that day that I was there !

I did say I was sure it was much more beautiful if it was sunny and the tide was closer.

My apologies... my comment on disgruntled passengers wasn't directed at you but merely a response to Henry. I'm still traumatized by recent observations on Quest. (Sidebar - 95% of the guests are perfectly lovely... another 5% are just perpetually miserable.)

My apologies... my comment on disgruntled passengers wasn't directed at you but merely a response to Henry. I'm still traumatized by recent observations on Quest. (Sidebar - 95% of the guests are perfectly lovely... another 5% are just perpetually miserable.)

Thanks Jeni, sorry for the misunderstanding.

Also, I realised from reading Henry's response that it may have sounded in my OP that we didn't enjoy the day at all, we did.

We've enjoyed all of our beach BBQ days on SB very much, the crew works so hard to make it a great day. But the weather and tide weren't in our favour that particular day.

I'm just about to read your blog to catch up. I have a TA in my sights next year. You may need to take another cruise asap to recover from the trauma of the whiners!;)

Oh my, not the lovely Ko Kood.. My memories are much like Julie and Henry's. But seeing Ravenscrofts pic it reminds me how much my appreciation of places I have visited are very much affected by the weather we encountered.

PS Emperor Norton -- how nice of you to have become the official conduit for Seabourn photos.

I agree. We weren't sure whether to be shocked or amused last night at dinner when the gentleman next to us began repeatedly beating the handle of his knife against the table (like an angry toddler) to get the waiters attention. He was very angry that they had been seated for less than 15 minutes and yet his steak (or his wife's TWO large bowls of off-menu pasta) had failed to materialize.

I do wonder how Seabourn finds these customers....

I wish I could find this type of boorish behavior hard to believe, but having witnessed it too often myself I am convinced that money doesn't buy class, and sometimes the sense of entitlement is way out of proportion to reality. It is embarrassing to witness this type of behavior and I always feel so sorry for the poor recipient.

I wish I could find this type of boorish behavior hard to believe, but having witnessed it too often myself I am convinced that money doesn't buy class, and sometimes the sense of entitlement is way out of proportion to reality. It is embarrassing to witness this type of behavior and I always feel so sorry for the poor recipient.

My mother (who is much more patient and kind than I am) pointed out today that it was likely that the gentleman in question suffered from some sort of dementia based on other behaviors she observed. Not that it made the behavior any less appalling, but I am inclined to feel some empathy (and sympathy for the staff).

I am rethinking my current retirement plans of using the ships in lieu of a senior home - I'd certainly never want to be that passenger!

Unlike the man (I refuse to use the term gentleman) in his early 50s I would guess who spent the entire Ephesus evening concert on his mobile because he was obviously very important, breaking off only to tap his glass when he required a wine refill or if the waiters weren't quick enough, bang the table. He did not acknowledge anyone around him then barged off at the end. As you say pdx13, class and manners have nothing to do with money :rolleyes:

That is not uncommon in Thailand.

Where we stay near Krabi has a couple of beaches which are shallow so when the tide goes out the water goes a long way away. One of them reveals a different world of small crabs scuttling around then burying themselves under the sand when you get close. It also allows to walk out to an island (at high tide) which links to the mainland at low ride.

The other beach just has miles of flat sand.give high to low tide is going to be about 6 hours you should experience both during your stay. When we were there high water was about mid day, low water about 6.00pm so as we boarded the ship the tide was almost out. At that point I was swimming in the little lagoon to the left of the b ridge as you walk onto the beach.

Henry :)

Of all the Caviar in the Surf days I have enjoyed, the best--by far--have been in Ko Kood. We must have been very lucky with the tide because it was always perfect. You could wade out as far as you wished in "just right" temperature water and float away the afternoon. Some of my fondest and most sybaritic days on Seabourn are on Ko Kood.