Anartica Anyone?

Sicilian

I have nothing to compare it with, as I have only been to Antarctica with Seabourn (early 2016), however I can tell you that my experience was absolutely fantastic.

We wanted to combine an expedition experience with a good dose of luxury and that is exactly what we got. The expedition team was brilliant, delivering interesting lectures, keeping us safe and informed on the zodiac trips, and having a high profile around the ship for passengers to interact with.

The ship performed exceptionally well across a very bumpy Drake Passage, in both directions.

We have been to the Antarctic three times. The last time with Seabourn.

This was an excellent cruise with surreal scenery. The organisation with SB was first class. Could fault nothing.

Kind regards,

Tony

We have been to the Antarctic three times. The last time with Seabourn.

This was an excellent cruise with surreal scenery. The organisation with SB was first class. Could fault nothing.

Kind regards,

Tony

Could you kindly compare the Seabourn Antarctica experience with your other two journeys? Thanks.

Could you kindly compare the Seabourn Antarctica experience with your other two journeys? Thanks.

Seabourn was far superior. The other Antarctic cruises were with Orient Line.

Kind regards,

Tony

These boards have lots of information about cruiselines travelling to Antarctica, have a look at the Antarctica forum, it could be quite helpful for you.

Seabourn was my choice because I have cruised them before and knew what to expect in terms of high levels of service, standard of accommodation and food, and the general passenger demographic. Antarctica delivered all that and more.

Antarctica is probably the most stunning place in the world I have visited. I was overwhelmed by the beauty of the place. Seabourn has installed an expedition team of the highest quality and they go out of their way to make sure that passengers experience Antarctica in the best possible way. Zodiac landings are safe and exciting, accompanied by professional commentary about surroundings. The captain made sure we took advantage of every day, subject to weather, moving the ship to sheltered locations so we could get off the ship wherever possible.

Once back on the ship, the usual Seabourn hospitality kicked in, with warming drinks , smiles and and caviar plentiful !

I can't speak highly enough of Seabourn in Antarctica and would go again in a heartbeat.

If you are happy to forgo the luxury service, and prefer to concentrate on two landings a day, other cruiselines might be more suitable, but for us Seabourn ticked all the boxes.

If you are happy to forgo the luxury service, and prefer to concentrate on two landings a day, other cruiselines might be more suitable, but for us Seabourn ticked all the boxes.

Just to clarify... does this mean Seaborn offers one landing a day, while other, less-luxe lines with smaller expedition ships offer two?

We've cruised Seabourn only once so far, loved it, and were very intrigued by the Antarctica trip, and my biggest question was whether we would be sacrificing seeing and experiencing what we're there to see for the pampering I know Seabourn would deliver.

Eric

Just to clarify... does this mean Seaborn offers one landing a day, while other, less-luxe lines with smaller expedition ships offer two?

We've cruised Seabourn only once so far, loved it, and were very intrigued by the Antarctica trip, and my biggest question was whether we would be sacrificing seeing and experiencing what we're there to see for the pampering I know Seabourn would deliver.

Eric

There is an international convention that stipulates that no ship with more than 500 passengers may disembark AND that no more than 100 at a time may be ashore. Logistically that makes it more difficult to get 2 stops daily on a ship with 450 versus a ship with 100-200. I have been there three times, twice on a 49 passenger ship (now retired) and once on Silversea (about 150 pax). The level of luxe is proportionately greater on the luxury lines but I would trade that for more penguin bonding time.

It is very much an individual preference, however I found the one landing a day that Seabourn offered as perfect. By the time we got our gear on, made our way to the zodiacs, had our penguin/whale/iceberg/ landing experience, got back to the ship, got our gear off..................it was time for Seabourn's signature service to kick in!

Seabourn probably isn't for everyone, but as I have said before, it struck the perfect balance between expedition and luxury cruising, for me.

We have an ocean view cabin, mid ship starboard, booked for January 2017. We picked it to minimize rockin' & rollin'. We could change to an OB veranda for just a little more, but who knows where we would wind up. There are only 2 cabins left on deck 5 so unlikely to get V1/2.

The questions for those of you who have done the BA-Santiago itinerary:

1. Did you use your balcony?

2. Did being on the starboard side matter?

Thanks for your input.

Linda

The questions for those of you who have done the BA-Santiago itinerary:

1. Did you use your balcony?

2. Did being on the starboard side matter?

Thanks for your input.

Linda

Linda,

Yes we used the balcony quite a bit. We often sat out with our morning coffee at dawn to view the wild life.

We were on the port side-doesn't really matter except we had the mainland on our port side.

Kind regards,

Tony

Yes we used our balcony, but we used the Observation lounge more.

We were on the port also but on the glacial part lots of sights were on the starboard. We were on the correct side for the circumnavigation of the iceberg. So no it doesnt matter.

We were hardly ever in the observation lounge.

We were on the upper deck forward ( deck 11) most evenings looking at the surreal scenery until late.

It was quite interesting to see many many passengers who were not out on deck in the crowded observation lounge. Even the 'guest photographers' commented on the lack of interest shown by some, in this beautiful place.

Get wrapped up and go out on deck!

Kind regards,

Tony

• 2 months later...

Thanks everyone for the great information posted here. I'm researching an Antarctic trip and had the same questions about the benefits of a smaller ship (more time ashore) versus the great luxury of Seabourn's ship.

I would also think that the larger ship might be a bit more stable when crossing Drake's Passage?

I did the Antarctica Holiday journey on Seabourn in 2014/15, and it was a magical experience.

Regarding the Drake Passage, being prone to sea sickness, I was very concerned about it. Luckily it was relatively calm, and I had no problem. The captain said the passage's reputation is worse than the reality; in general, the passage is said to be rough about one crossing out of seven. Not sure how accurate this anecdotal data point is...

I, too, had concerns about one landing instead of two on smaller expedition ships, so I asked several of the expedition leaders about this. They have worked on smaller expedition ships extensively and assured me that we are not missing anything. The extra daily landing would usually be at a different site in the general area, and guests would see similar scenery and wildlife.

Also, two landings every day incur double set up costs and time requirement to dress, undress, gear up, clean up, etc. and can be exhausting to some guests. I was very happy and satisfied with one landing per day.

Edited by sfvoyage

SFVoyage,

Thanks so much. Good to get the balance that works best for you, between enjoying the ship and the chances to go ashore. It does look like a magical place.

I did the Antarctica Holiday journey on Seabourn in 2014/15, and it was a magical experience.

Regarding the Drake Passage, being prone to sea sickness, I was very concerned about it. Luckily it was relatively calm, and I had no problem. The captain said the passage's reputation is worse than the reality; in general, the passage is said to be rough about one crossing out of seven. Not sure how accurate this anecdotal data point is...

I, too, had concerns about one landing instead of two on smaller expedition ships, so I asked several of the expedition leaders about this. They have worked on smaller expedition ships extensively and assured me that we are not missing anything. The extra daily landing would usually be at a different site in the general area, and guests would see similar scenery and wildlife.

Also, two landings every day incur double set up costs and time requirement to dress, undress, gear up, clean up, etc. and can be exhausting to some guests. I was very happy and satisfied with one landing per day.