Assessment: Azamara Journey, British Open Cruise, July 19-August 1, 2017.

nordski

These are our thoughts concerning our recently completed British Open Cruise.

Positives:

1/ Excellent itinerary with a mixture of urban/rural experiences. Although the embarkation port, Southampton, is not picturesque it is a convenient access point for either Salisbury or Portsmouth. We selected a private tour of Salisbury/Stonehenge and it was extremely worthwhile.

2/ The experience embarking and on board Journey was exactly what we expected, and the reason we return. We saw no evidence of any cutbacks in food, service etc. Thus, for those new to Azamara this cruise was a fair test if the cruise line is a good fit.

3/ Captain Johannes was his usual visible self and, although the Irish Sea was (despite our expectations) surprisingly calm, when possible he did his best to provide warning and to choose routes that minimized some "roughish" seas. Because of the potential for swells, I would recommend a stateroom midship or toward the stern.

4/ Two ports, Invergordon and Holyhead, seemed to surprise those of a DIY approach as lacking much of interest. Like Southampton, they provide an opportunity but you must be prepared for a bus ride.

5/ As for the larger city ports, Cork, Liverpool, Dublin, Belfast and Edinburgh, we were either within walking distance of points of interest or there was the free Azamara shuttle.

6/ Whilst we were really anticipating the Irish ports (we live in an area settled and influenced by the Ulster Irish) the real surprise was the Port of Leith and Edinburgh. Don't know why this jewel in terms of its remarkable setting, beautiful buildings, historic sites, and friendliness to visitors has not been on our radar. Perhaps we saw it at its best as the city prepared for its annual Military Tattoo and Fringe Festival. Regardless, we would love to return. How can you not be struck by a city that has statues of those two icons of the Scottish Enlightenment, Smith and Hume, on a main thoroughfare?

In general, we preferred that part of the itinerary that introduced us to Scotland. Despite the iffy weather, we discovered the "15 minute rule" Generally, when the "mist" begins duck inside to have a snack/drink, visit a Cathedral, or enter a store and when you exit the rain will have stopped and the sun may even be shining.

And the countryside answered a question that had plagued me since my university days. Why did a former girl friend throw me over for a Scottish sheep farmer who lived near the border with England. I'm certain now that it wasn't a personal failing, but the lure of those green pastures that weakened my case :).

7/ Once again we encountered staff willing to go "above and beyond", especially in dealing with dietary issues. In terms of those issues, because of the simple customization of dishes, we have decided that the Patio can be an excellent choice for lunch and dinner. Mrs Nordski would particularly recommend the turkey burgers for lunch.

On a broader scale, in the case when we did encounter one sever whose behaviour, on several occasions, bordered on belligerency, a quick word to one of the Head Waiters saw the issue addressed. I'd note that the Head Waiter was already aware of the issue.

In the several times I dealt with Land Discoveries, I found Lizel and her team easier to work with than the last team we had on Quest.

And I have noted elsewhere the seamless manner with which the staff dealt with the premature departure of CD Eric. Kudos to Tony Markey for filling in so quickly and admirably. Although he told me he, "wasn't doing anything anyway", this was undoubtedly a sacrifice.

8/ When we donated to the Staff Welfare fund, for the first time, I believe, we received a card thanking us.

9/ We thought the Azamazing Evening in Dublin (Riverdance) outstanding. Having seen the stage production, we didn't attend but the visiting entertainers were excellent.

Negatives:

1/ Not an Azamara problem, but for several cities we had bought online tickets for their HOHO buses. These tickets seemed to cause no end of surprise/suspicion. Unless there is a cost saving involved, you might consider skipping that step.

And as for the historic sites, the only time the pre-bought tickets really helped was for visiting the Book of Kells exhibit in Dublin. Strongly recommended.

2/ Unfortunately we encountered/observed several instances of minor and major rudeness. One example involved a staff member. More distressing was the fact that fellow Canadians were the instigators.

Demographics:

1/ Approximately one-half of the cruisers were those returning to Azamara. About 150 of those on board, were participating in the Perry Golf Programme. As a discrete group, they had no noticeable impact upon the physical assets of the ship (special places to meet etc.). In fact, it probably left some favourite parts of the ship underutilized. However, there was an effect on the social life on board as their interests were rather different than mine, for example, since I am of the Mark Twain school of thought on this activity. Not a deal breaker at that number, but if it were to be larger then we would probably think twice about participating in a similar cruise.

2/ Not surprisingly, since it was summer, there were also a number of young people present, from a toddler to some tweens and teens. Perhaps some were family members of golfers. Regardless, they were never much noticeable. In fact we often wondered where they were or where they spent their time, although I was pleased to encounter one young lad sitting on a staircase and engrossed in a book.

3/ Again not surprisingly, there were few Brits on board. They were missed.

Future Goal:

I/ Since on this cruise I undertook some research in the realm of food and alcoholic drinks, the results are posted on another thread, I think another investigation is warranted: an anthropological study of cruisers on board a ship.

I'm imagining all sorts of Venn diagrams representing various cultural groups. Surely Azamara, another industry player, Cruise Critic or a university would fund such a study.

I'm always available.

Hope these comments help anyone contemplating a similar itinerary.

As usual from you nordski, a witty and interesting review. Glad you both had such a good time and yes, Edinburgh is a fascinating city that needs at least a week to appreciate it fully.

If you should require a research assistant for your future altruistic endeavours then please know I am available for a small fee. My typing skills are not good but I am an expert on food and alcohol...and the best places to shop of course. A few Mango Martini's should do it! :D

Thank you for your insightful review & comments. I am especially interested to read your thoughts on demographics on board and there being few Brits. We are Brits who did the equivalent criuise last year. There were only 19 of us on that trip. We really enjoyed visiting parts of our very green isles that we had never been to before & would recommend a "round Britain" cruise. We are lucky to have visited many parts of the world on both cruises & land based holidays but sometimes it's great to stay closer to home & explore your own shores. :) Having said that we are joining Journey in October for Athens to Dubai and are really looking forward to visiting that part of the world

Thank you for your insightful review & comments. I am especially interested to read your thoughts on demographics on board and there being few Brits. We are Brits who did the equivalent criuise last year. There were only 19 of us on that trip. We really enjoyed visiting parts of our very green isles that we had never been to before & would recommend a "round Britain" cruise. We are lucky to have visited many parts of the world on both cruises & land based holidays but sometimes it's great to stay closer to home & explore your own shores. :) Having said that we are joining Journey in October for Athens to Dubai and are really looking forward to visiting that part of the world

Thanks for the comment.

We would have loved to have met more Brits on board. The social experience would have been more typical.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As usual from you nordski, a witty and interesting review. Glad you both had such a good time and yes, Edinburgh is a fascinating city that needs at least a week to appreciate it fully.

If you should require a research assistant for your future altruistic endeavours then please know I am available for a small fee. My typing skills are not good but I am an expert on food and alcohol...and the best places to shop of course. A few Mango Martini's should do it! :D

Thanks for the kind words.

I hope that heat wave "Lucifer" did not interfere too greatly with your recent Med cruise, especially the shopping expeditions.

And that your airport experience was not as bad as was reported in some British newspapers.

As for being a research assistant, the price is right. But I would be concerned that given your skills and CV, my role as lead investigator would be immediately in question. [emoji3]

For those with a twitter account, a just-posted photo by a Journey staff member of the background skies in Edinburgh.

I didn't sufficiently emphasize the beauty of the landscape as we travelled around the north coast tip of Scotland.

I hope that heat wave "Lucifer" did not interfere too greatly with your recent Med cruise, especially the shopping expeditions.

And that your airport experience was not as bad as was reported in some British newspapers.

As for being a research assistant, the price is right. But I would be concerned that given your skills and CV, my role as lead investigator would be immediately in question. [emoji3]

Actually nordski the temperatures in The Med were searing. It was 40 degrees plus on several days and I did not get off the ship....not even to go shopping! We did have delays at Security at Heathrow but it was not as bad as some airports.

As for being a research assistant, I would be very happy to be a Mimi to your Salvo. Only Inspector Montalbano fans will get that analogy! 😄

As for being a research assistant, I would be very happy to be a Mimi to your Salvo. Only Inspector Montalbano fans will get that analogy! 😄

I will happily join the team if invited to lunch. I promise not to talk while we are eating. ;)

Actually nordski the temperatures in The Med were searing. It was 40 degrees plus on several days and I did not get off the ship....not even to go shopping! We did have delays at Security at Heathrow but it was not as bad as some airports.

As for being a research assistant, I would be very happy to be a Mimi to your Salvo. Only Inspector Montalbano fans will get that analogy! [emoji1]

It must have been bad if shopping was curtailed. [emoji1]However, it would be interesting to experience that level of heat.

The tabloid we saw in Edinburgh airport suggested considerable misery, if not danger, in long lines at airports such as Barcelona. I did wonder if the paper was reflecting some political agenda re: the Schengen Agreement.

I'm certain you would easily be an excellent Mimi, but what if my best role is Catarella. You can see why I'm concerned. [emoji1]

And, as if by magic, I have a new title, A Nest of Vipers, to read on my Kindle.

I will happily join the team if invited to lunch. I promise not to talk while we are eating. ;)

I think we have a suggestion for a Chef's Table.

But where to walk after?