Reunion Island

bazzaw

I have placed this posting within the Africa ports of call - because, although Reunion Island is part of France, it would be crazy to regard it as a French port of call -- and it is more likely that any cruise visiting Reunion Island is more likely to be visiting African ports as well.

We visited this island for one day this month during a 46 day Indian Ocean cruise on Sun Princess. A small group of 8 of us were all delighted with this island. Not really knowing much about it, it came as a wonderful surprise. Tropical beauty combined with French culture. I have cruised to both New Caledonia and French Polynesia and found Reunion Island to be the "most French" of them all :)

Unfortunately our ship berthed at "le Port" , which is a commercial/industrial port about 16 klms ( 10 miles) from the main town of Saint Denis so a ship's shore tour or some kind of other transport/private tour is essential to see anything of the island. We were surprised at how large this small island is - and it would take a week to see all of it's sights.

We had organised before departure for Eloise from "Experience Reunion" http://www.experience-reunion.re/en/ to take us on one of her excursions - we chose the Salazie excursion. Eloise is a nice young French/English speaking woman who drove safely and told us everything we needed to know as we went along. Highly recommended!!!!

In the small village of Hell Bourg, we managed to use a combination of English and schoolboy French to make ourselves understood in a small creperie - delicious creperies with bad French wine (we are spoilt for wine here in Australia! :) ) but it was a real experience.

Thank you for your review. I have a question with regard to the weather. We are considering a cruise next December/January to Mauritius, Seychelles, Madagascar and Reunion. We are however a bit afraid that there will be strong winds. I know you went a month later, but could you please let me know your experience?

Thank you for your review. I have a question with regard to the weather. We are considering a cruise next December/January to Mauritius, Seychelles, Madagascar and Reunion. We are however a bit afraid that there will be strong winds. I know you went a month later, but could you please let me know your experience?

We had no problems with the weather during our cruise - which started in Australia on 8 Jan and ended back there 23 Feb ---- EXCEPT for an Indian Ocean cyclone in the later part of February which we avoided but caused some highish ( 4 metres) seas all over the ocean. Be aware also that it will be VERY hot and humid in that area in Dec/Jan.

I agree with Bazzaw.

We visited Reunion Is in April 2014 on a cruise and we loved it. We had seen a documentary on it a few years ago and it had been on our bucket list but it was still a real surprise. We did a tour to Piton de la Fournaise volcano area which was absolutely amazing. The scenery around here was like being on Mars but the diversity of the scenery on the island is incredible.

The island is considered to be part of metropolitan France and has a representative in the French parliament which is one of the reasons it's totally different to Tahiti and Noumea. We noted that everyone seemed to have new cars and our French guide told us that no one will drive an old car. All the second hand ones get sent of to Mozambique! It probably explains why taxis are scarce and expensive.

If you have a call to Reunion, to get the most out of the island you need to do a tour as just staying around St Denis doesn't do it justice. If you get the impression we loved it, you are right :)

BTW the currency on the island is Euros.

We had a great day in St. Denis from our Crystal Cruise this year. We shared a cab with another couple from the port and then just wandered. We speak French and are big-time francophiles so we felt as though we were home; it was France with palm trees and warm sultry temperatures. Very charming and friendly, and we had a lovely lunch. This was a real treat.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
Visited Reunion as part of a world cruise in 2016. Beware - not an island for Arachnaphobes!!

Oh, lovely. :)

I was bitten by a Brown Recluse here in Indiana last month.

I will mention to my doctor that I will need to have some antibiotics just in case.

I have arranged a tour with Heloise and we are looking forward to it.

Oh, lovely. :)

I was bitten by a Brown Recluse here in Indiana last month.

I will mention to my doctor that I will need to have some antibiotics just in case.

I have arranged a tour with Heloise and we are looking forward to it.

I don't think they are poisonous, just very big! and all over the place sitting in huge webs - Golden Orb Webs.