Possible Silversea First Timer

Nemanoxer

The 3 lines appeal to a similar demographic. We have no experience of Regent but have managed to slip one Seabourn cruise into an otherwise Silversea-based cruising history. To us, the difference between Seabourn and SS is minimal. In fact, if you were deposited aboard one of the ships it would take a long time to work out if you were on Seabourn or SS - they are that similar.

At 45 I don't think you will feel as if you have returned to junior school! The average age might be in excess of 50 chronologically but in spirit most cruisers seem at least 10 years younger than their real age. What you do not get is the sort of organised jolliness that you would on, say, Celebrity and for that we are truly grateful. Unless you like noise and chaos?

I can't think that anyone, other than the most self-important, would complain at the attention from the staff on SS or Seabourn - both lines offer a level of service that is, quite frankly, outstanding. SS tends to employ more Asian staff - we like that having lived for a time in the Far East - whereas Seabourn's are more European. But both lines have a tradition of quality service even if we find the SS staff just that bit more natural.

Accepting that nothing is ever perfect or ideal for everyone I think any of the 3 lines would offer you a memorable experience. Only little things swing it one way or the other. The reasons we prefer SS to Seabourn are: a. The Humidor; b. Better (ie more European) coffee; c. Slightly more cheerful staff; d. Price (although that very much depends on the itinerary). And, lastly, it's what we've become accustomed to and where we feel at home.

Thank you, carefreecruise, for clearing things up about the high end lines.

Could you maybe comment on which of these three lines has the lowest average age in passengers? I am "only" 45 years old. It´s not like I do not like older people, but if about 50 is the lowest entry age for Silversea, I wonder what it is on the others.

I know how you feel. Problem is that when you start asking a fair amount for a cruise it separates a lot younger guest that don't see any value in spending all that money on just a cruise. Especially when the ships don't cater to kids and there is just basically nothing for younger guests to keep themselves occupied other then a pool, library and watching movies. You end up with mostly retired looking guests and when you look across the show lounge, you will see why its sometimes called "Silver Dome Lounge". But if you want to give it a try; you can tip the scales in your favor by picking an itinerary during the summer months and to tropical islands. That would be the best time for younger guests and kids. We find the grandparents will bring their kids and grandkids on these types of cruises besides working people taking time off. Of course (if you do the math) if you pick the biggest ship, its bound to have more younger people on it...

After you had your cruise on these types of lines, you will be the best person to see if all this hoopla and extra costs are worth it.... I can say we have found plenty of guest, that after trying it, miss all the activities on the bigger mass-market ships. Others find they prefer one line over another for very personal things and if you find you like the feel of no people around, then one of the lines has smaller ships. So no one can decide for you....

Edited by carefreecruise

• 1 month later...

Hi, Travelled many times in Silversea as a woman solo traveler, some of the trips offered Gentleman Host, but NO others. In all of them had a great time. If you are not shy, but sociable and open minded will meet a lot of nice people or others solo travelers to enjoy dinner, a drink, even a shore tour. Dress code is Formal, tux, the Welcome and Farewell nights; on Cocktail ones suit and tie are a most; nice slacks and shirt, plus a suit jacket on casuals. At daytime, shorts, slacks and nice polo shirts are fine. Usually No shorts after 5:00 PM. The service in small ( top of the line ) ships is also impeccable. According to my experience, Silversea passengers are Baby Boomers or older, very well travelled. Give a try to Silversea, go out of your comfort zone and have fun. ;)

Edited by Packing Again

We love Silversea. Have sailed with them many times.

Booked again on their world cruise in 2019. Last world cruise with them was spectacular and life changing. Made life long friends. Itinerary for 2019 looks phenomenal! We dressed very casually during the days - jeans, shorts, t-shirts, etc. most nights were informal, which was slacks for men, pants, fairly casual dress or skirt, pant suit for women at dinner. You can choose to attend formal nights in dining room (about 3 times on a 10-12 day cruise) or go upstairs to hot rocks (like we do fairly often) where dress code is always casual, most nights are informal with at least a couple of casual nights (usually first and last nights). Such a wonderful, comfortable, and friendly cruise line. Within 24 hours it seems that all the crew addresses us by name. Feels like family by the end of the cruise.

I will be the first time alone on a Silversea Cruise this November - I used to cruise with my mom before but always Silversea. I can understand your hesitation but you can be sure there won't be a problem. You don't need to dress up if you don't want to. And by the way - if you need a good travel agent in Germany (not sure where you are located though) mine has been taking care of our Silversea Cruises for more then 10 years and knows what to do and to think about. Let me know if you still need one.

I just got back home (last night) from my Silverseas cruise and it was FANTASTIC:D......this was in my top 3 cruises:)

(and I have been on close to 50 of them)........SS gets big kudos from me:D

So glad you enjoyed it. Where did you cruise? How long was it? I LOVE this cruise line. So far it is my absolute favorite. Back on their world cruise for 2019. Trying Tegdnt world cruise next January. It's a little larger ship so we'll see. I really enjoy small ships.

Hi, sailed from Barcelona to Rome and it was 9 nights......wow, you are going around the world? Neat:)........I still

work fulltime so that would be an impossible trip.

We went to Mallorca, Menorca, Elba, Florence and I think I am missing some other ports LOL.......