Klein Bonaire ??

patbob

You will see people have left their bags or belongings in little piles up against shrubs while snorkeling.

We just tired ours up in a bush. The island is a nature preserve, so the only people on it are people snorkeling. I would suggest taking the bare essentials but things seen to be safe. We had no issues.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Forums mobile app

One more time...Will equipment vendors near the water taxis rent snorkel vests, or should I buy them and bring them with me? We have kids who really need them for the drift.

I did not sees any vendors renting items between the ship and the water taxi pier. Not sure what might be further out. The water taxi pier is literally just at the bow of the ship, so a very short walk. Once I got hooked on Snorkeling,I just bought an inexpensive vest off Amazon. You are correct that they will need them around Klein Bonaire as it can get fairly choppy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Forums mobile app

• 3 weeks later...

Since I posted several questions here before our cruise, I thought I would report back on our experience on Klein Bonaire. We ended up buying our own equipment before the cruise, including flotation vests, snorkel, mask, fins, and water shoes (total around $60 per person from Amazon). Snorkeling with a partially inflated vest is SO much easier than without, so I recommend having them for even advanced swimmers.

We got off the ship and walked directly to the row of vendors just off the pier to the left. I stopped at the first tent that had a "Klein Bonaire Water Taxi" sign. The guy was charging $20 round trip, and he gave me a small discount because we had 7 people. We walked about a hundred yards to his boat, waited about 15 minutes while he got another group to add to the boat, and we were on our way. About 15 minutes later, we were literally the FIRST people ashore on Klein Bonaire! The boat captain asked us what time we wanted to be picked up. We gave ourselves about two hours.

The boat captain gave us instructions on where to walk, where to enter the water, where to meet him when he came back. The snorkeling was awesome! We did the float from the entry point to the end twice, and then spent some time just enjoying the beach and swimming near the point where we would be meeting the boat. We saw all kinds of fish and numerous sea turtles, and the coral was amazing.

The boat captain arrived back for us right on time, and we were back to the ship by around 11:30. By the time we left Klein Bonaire, all the tour operators had begun arriving, but although it began to get busy, it wasn't overcrowded. We were glad to be the first ones there though!

Any questions, let me know!

Since I posted several questions here before our cruise, I thought I would report back on our experience on Klein Bonaire. We ended up buying our own equipment before the cruise, including flotation vests, snorkel, mask, fins, and water shoes (total around $60 per person from Amazon). Snorkeling with a partially inflated vest is SO much easier than without, so I recommend having them for even advanced swimmers.

We got off the ship and walked directly to the row of vendors just off the pier to the left. I stopped at the first tent that had a "Klein Bonaire Water Taxi" sign. The guy was charging $20 round trip, and he gave me a small discount because we had 7 people. We walked about a hundred yards to his boat, waited about 15 minutes while he got another group to add to the boat, and we were on our way. About 15 minutes later, we were literally the FIRST people ashore on Klein Bonaire! The boat captain asked us what time we wanted to be picked up. We gave ourselves about two hours.

The boat captain gave us instructions on where to walk, where to enter the water, where to meet him when he came back. The snorkeling was awesome! We did the float from the entry point to the end twice, and then spent some time just enjoying the beach and swimming near the point where we would be meeting the boat. We saw all kinds of fish and numerous sea turtles, and the coral was amazing.

The boat captain arrived back for us right on time, and we were back to the ship by around 11:30. By the time we left Klein Bonaire, all the tour operators had begun arriving, but although it began to get busy, it wasn't overcrowded. We were glad to be the first ones there though!

What an extremely helpful, concise, informative reply. Thank you!!!!!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Can you tell me what time they start the water taxis going in the morning? And, did you have to wait long before the taxi left the pier for the island? Thanks for the help!

Can you tell me what time they start the water taxis going in the morning? And, did you have to wait long before the taxi left the pier for the island? Thanks for the help!

The water taxi vendors were out there as soon as we got off the ship around 8:30. We were on our way out to Klein by 9:00.

The water taxi vendors were out there as soon as we got off the ship around 8:30. We were on our way out to Klein by 9:00.

Perfect, thanks. And I re-read your original post and saw how long you had to wait for the water taxi to fill up and go. Should've seen that before I posted the question again, sorry.