Is there a beach near the port at St. Maarten?

moran4carnival

Yes, Great Bay Beach is right off of the Boardwalk in Phillipsburg, so it should be about a 10-20 minute walk or a short water taxi (I cannot remember the fare price, you will have to ask around here, but it takes you right from the ship across the bay to downtown Phillipsburg). You could always lay out your towel from the ship in the sand, or last week I saw a deal through the Holland House Beach Hotel where they were chargin $25 total for two beach chairs, an umbrella, free wifi, free access to their bathrooms and freshwater showers, and a certain amount of drinks (I can't remember if it was 2 or 4), so this is a great deal you may want to consider, and it is not too far from the ship like you asked!

It is call Great Bay. We went here on our last cruise a few years back. It is a beautiful beach with our ship in background. Want to do it again but see posting on here regarding pollution. Some of post said if it been raining lately then it could be a problem with runoff. Good lucks!

Thank you for the input. I will do some research on the beaches. Just want to make sure we pick the best/right one ;)

Great Bay what's the Pollution like now would be a good thread for you to search for then.

Little Bay is the closest beach to the port that we will swim at. It's about a 10 minute, $10 taxi ride for 2 and has facilities such as chairs, umbrellas and fresh water showers and food, drinks, restrooms and water sport rentals and a taxi stand. The water is clean to swim in and the view is lovely. The downfall here to me is the sand to me as it is often quite pushed down and not as soft, white or powdery as I like.

• 6 years later...
On 8/15/2017 at 7:22 PM, moran4carnival said:

We are trying to figure out what to do in St. Maarten. We have never been to this island. Is there a beach near the port? What would be the best beach (don't want the beach with the planes landing) Any ideas would be great. Thank you

IMHO the best beach is COCO.  Great ambiance, peaceful, excellent food/drinks, comfortable beds and genteel clientele.  
Link - https://www.cocobeach.restaurant -

Gallery - https://www.cocobeach.restaurant/gallery

Pass on Great Bay as it’s far too busy.  The masses find it attractive, because it can be walked (or ferry or low shared taxi fare) from ship.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Links

26 minutes ago, NiikilovesSXM said:

Actually, you can see on live webcam how quiet Great Bay Beach is, and why as I mentioned above you shouldn't miss it and follow the crowds in traffic to other beaches..

Cruise responsibly! 

To assist…  Crowds and the masses do not frequent COCO

• Like 1