Princess LA excursion

octoberdana

You won't have much time for an excursion. LAX recommends arriving at the airport two hours before your flight for domestic flights, three hours for international flights. That means you should be at the airport checking in by about Noon. The first groups to disembark start shortly before 8am if there are no delays. It could easily take an hour to get to LAX from the port. That doesn't leave much time for a tour... a total of three hours to get somewhere, visit and then get to the airport.

Three months ago, I picked up a friend at the port at about 9:30am. We had a 10:45am reservation for a Hollywood tour. Even using the HOV lane, we got there just before 11am. Still made the tour but it was close. Welcome to LA traffic where it can take 45 minutes to go 5 miles, even at non-commuting times. No joke.

You'll get all sorts of comments but the interesting thing is that people who live in the LA metro area will give the above advice. People who don't live in the area will say, "No problem. Do it all the time." Take that with a grain of salt.

Leave the ship as late as possible. Take your carry on with you to the buffet and have a snack, a late snack, get off around 11, pick up your bags, call Uber from your baggage area and they'll get you to LAX in less than 45 minutes. Timing should be great. LA and LAX always require extra time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app

Leave the ship as late as possible. Take your carry on with you to the buffet and have a snack, a late snack, get off around 11, pick up your bags, call Uber from your baggage area and they'll get you to LAX in less than 45 minutes. Timing should be great. LA and LAX always require extra time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app

Don't count on being allowed to stay on board after about 10 AM.

Sent from my HP desktop using MTF

Our flight leaves at 2:05 out of LAX. Can we do the shorter LA excursion? Are there other things to do to pass the time? I hate sitting in airports...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I wish I had to sit and wait. (Actually I also hate sitting in airports but there are extenuating circumstances this time.) Delta moved my flight to 11:15 AM with no option to change it. It's going to be crazy getting there in time to make the flight. We plan to be in the first group of walk-off passengers schlepping our own luggage and either snagging the first taxi we see or have an Uber driver setup to meet us. I don't like it but that's how things are so we will do our best to make it work.

I wish I had to sit and wait. (Actually I also hate sitting in airports but there are extenuating circumstances this time.) Delta moved my flight to 11:15 AM with no option to change it. It's going to be crazy getting there in time to make the flight. We plan to be in the first group of walk-off passengers schlepping our own luggage and either snagging the first taxi we see or have an Uber driver setup to meet us. I don't like it but that's how things are so we will do our best to make it work.

I had always thought that airlines would change your flight if the new time no longer worked with your travel plans - plus when I've flown Delta I've been given the option to change flights for free when the change is more than an hour. Or is your issue that there are no flights to change to?

I had always thought that airlines would change your flight if the new time no longer worked with your travel plans - plus when I've flown Delta I've been given the option to change flights for free when the change is more than an hour. Or is your issue that there are no flights to change to?

Nope. The problem is that I booked the Delta flight using Alaska Airlines "miles". That worked fine as they were partners. However, Delta and AA recently dissolved their partnership and now I'm not allowed to make any changes. Trust me, I tried. AA can't do anything because it's a Delta flight and they are no longer partners. Delta won't do anything because I paid with AA miles and they just keep telling me they can't make any changes because they aren't partners anymore. As soon as I book my flight for next March I'm dumping the AA credit card and going with a more flexible "miles" card.

Just be sure to go to guest services pretty early in your cruise and explain that you have to be in the first walk off group. We encountered a situation on Princess once where they did not allow us to change our disembarkation time. We are supposed to have priority disembarkation and were told they couldn't help us. Yikes .... we almost missed our flight and would have if not for a very understanding employee at the port. If I had known we'd be in such a jam, I would have asked to speak with someone in charge at guest services ...be insistent if you are denied or you may not make it in time.

The only reasonable suggestion I would make is a drive as you make your way to LAX, like an uber detour near LAX to the beach for a drive-by peek along Pacific Coast Highway or Marina del Rey. You'll fit right in because as the 80s song says, "nobody walks in LA".

Port to LAX for a 2p flight isn't that much wasted time in LA traffic (says a native gladly in exile ;)).

I agree to disembark after breakfast as late as possible and make your way to LAX with your bags and no rush. Breezy end and no LA stress.

Enjoy, and let us know about your cruise. [emoji568][emoji126]🕺🏻

Our flight leaves at 2:05 out of LAX. Can we do the shorter LA excursion? Are there other things to do to pass the time? I hate sitting in airports...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

L.A. traffic is no joke. You will want to go to the airport or risk getting stuck in traffic and missing your flight.

Once you get the Disembarkation Information Sheet with your luggage tag, check the latest time scheduled for disembarkation. On the Regal last year and Crown this year, it was 10:30am. You can choose to join that color tag group or earlier. You can take your time on the ship and may not have so much waiting time at the airport.