India Overland Excursion

Captain&Commander

Has anyone taken a Princess or a private excursion for an overland in India. Departing the ship in Colombo, Sri Lanka and re-boarding In Dubai? I'm on a Singapore to Southampton cruise in March 2018 and I'm debating the private excursion vs one with Princess. Thanks for your input. ( I'm also going to post this on the Asia forum and TripAdvisor).

Has anyone taken a Princess or a private excursion for an overland in India. Departing the ship in Colombo, Sri Lanka and re-boarding In Dubai? I'm on a Singapore to Southampton cruise in March 2018 and I'm debating the private excursion vs one with Princess. Thanks for your input. ( I'm also going to post this on the Asia forum and TripAdvisor).

I assume this is mainly to see the Taj Mahal.

I have found it is less expensive to (booking with the right tour company) to fly from the USA and have a nine day land tour of India (including the Taj Mahal) while staying at first class hotels, with most meals included and including the airfare. Our cost this year was $1500/person. Extra were some optional city tours along the way and gratuities for the tour guides. The group size was about 28 people.

I see the Princess web site says this costs $2200/person for four days of touring and of course you will be giving up several days on ship as well as any chance to tour the starting and ending ports of the excursion.

But to your question about taking the ship's excursion or an equivalent private one. I would find out what guarantees the private tour would have about getting you back to the ship if the return airflight(s) do not operate for some reason.

Thanks for your input. I agree you will get a better value with a land tour (was yours with OAT?). I just have a problem getting my husband to take that long flight in economy for nine days. Plus, he doesn't like sea days so if I want to see the Taj Mahal it will have to be on this cruise. I'm leaning towards the Princess excursions as I was on a cruise a few years ago where we diverted from Mumbai because of terrorist attacks. The people who had private tours set up to see the Taj Mahal had a problem.

A lot of people seem to do that side trip either with the cruise line or independently. We chose to fly back to Delhi and do a 10 day tour at the end of our cruise but that would be backwards for you. Like Caribill our Indian tour was about the same cost as the side trip from the ship.

Before you think about booking, check the current situation regarding Taj Mahal repairs. Understand works starting around September lasting about 12 months. Will be loads of scaffolding.

Pictures of the progress of the work are posted regularly online. The scaffolding seems to move as each part is treated. There's a lot showing at the moment.:(

• 3 months later...

Good morning!

We are also looking for private tours to the Taj Mahal, a 3 day excursion from Colombo. I have received info and a quote from Lijo Jose, Muziris Heritage tours. He has excellent reviews on TripAdvisor for day trips but I haven't seen a review for this particular tour. Here are the details:

Namasthe & Warmest greetings from Muziris Heritage - Day Tours

It’s our pleasure to receive your offline message via our website
. I’m Lijo Jose, Chief Executive of
Muziris Heritage - Day Tours
. I will be your direct point of contact from now on, please feel free to send me an email at anytime you want.

Glad to hear that you are interested in Taj Mahal overland tour from Colombo, We can do it as easy . Please go through the brief itinerary

April 2
- At Colombo , Morning proceeds to Colombo
Bandaranaike International Airport
to catch 2 PM flights to Delhi (3 hours Journey )

Arrive Delhi and Drive to Agra (3 Hours Darive through Express highway) overnight stay at Sarover crystal premier

April 3 -
Morning sunrise visit to Taj Mahal after breakfast sightseeing of Agra including Agra fort
visit Taj Mahal and nearby Agra fort with Tour guide Afternoon lunch at Sarovar primere hotel and after proceeds to Delhi by your car (2 hours 30 minutes) over night stay at Delhi Suryaa hotel

April 4 -
Early morning checkout to catch the 5 AM flight to cochin , Arrive cochin at 8 AM and orientation tour of cochin before going to Pier

Flights -

Colombo to Delhi - Srilankan Airways

Delhi to Cochin - Air India

Hotels :

Delhi - Suryaa & Andaz by Hayat

Tour Price - $1200 per person

Have you been able to come up with another reputable company for this tour? This is a great price compared to the Princess shore excursion.

We are hoping to find more cruisers to join our group.

Brenda and Ian

Vancouver, Canada

Hi Brenda and Ian,

We are interested in an India overland. Would you please email me Pam_glusac@hotmail.com.

I'd be interested in the size of the group, when payment is due, what happens if our ship has to by pass Colombo?

Is Muziris Heritage Tours giving any kind of guarantee that we will meet up with the ship in Cochin and if not will they pay for transportation to our next port?

Thanks,

Pam