Royal or Celebrity?

Last December we were on RCCL Anthem of the Seas out of NJ and it was a cruise with a highly noticeable number of wheel chairs and scooters. I don't think we can generalize. A lot depends on the ship, itinerary and date of sailing. We are loyal to and cruise on both Celebrity and RCCL. We find the larger RCCL ships with lots of activities, and the Royal Promenades, to be fun on laid back vacations like 7-day Caribbean. We like the smaller Celebrity ships for itinerary -focused vacations like recently the Adriatic ports or the Panama Canal. We enjoy the overall Celebrity suite experience much more than the RCCL suite experience, particularly if you look at perks for a Sky Suite vs a Jr Suite.

Not as much difference as there used to be-after Evening Chic hit X we have gone to Princess-much better entertainment, dancing venues, things we go for. Do Royal when the kids are in school if you do it.

Since I'm now booked through April 2019, this isn't critical and I'll probably ask again, but if X is more subdued at night, do they close down the pools and hot tubs after dark? This was an area that use to annoy me with Royal, but they have gotten better. If there were less shows on X, I would definitely want to hit the hottub(s) before turning in.

Edited by BillOh
typo

Celebrity beats Royal hands down for food (MDR, buffet and Café Al Bacio is head and shoulders better than Café Promenade). Celebrity beds and bedding are also much better than Royal. Celebrity offers soft pillows, fluffy duvets and comfortable beds - Royal felt more like a cot with a heavy duvet, thin sheets and flat pillows.

We have been on both, definitely prefer RCCL. It depends on your age, personality, and what you like to do. I find Celebrity to cater to a more mature clientele, thus the subdued evenings and activities. I'm 71 but prefer having the choice to sit and read or participate in an activity, including zipline, mini golf, wall climbing, etc. I also enjoy the shows every evening. The first time we went on Celebrity was out of Valparaiso, Chile. I had never seen so many wheel chairs, scooters, and walkers on a cruise. You must decide which ambiance would suit you best. Good luck.

If it's a long and/or exotic cruise, you will find it veers to a much older client base. We found the same on both of our Hawaii cruises but mostly on the one we took in January, 2006. Hubby & I were in our late 50's at the time and felt that we were the only able-bodied on some of our excursions.

Sue

Royal, Celebrity and Azamara all belong to the same company, Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.

Royal is 4*, Celebrity is 5*, Azamara is 6*.

But Royal and Celebrity are similar in pricing, while Azamara is very expensive