Grand Alaska - Couple Questions

CruiseNut24

We will be going to Alaska on the Grand on September 15th. Looking for anyone recently off the grand. Looking to see if they have the Chef Table, and if so, was it difficult to get signed up for and were you able to get in. We have never tried to do the Chef Table before, so not sure how it works. Also, what are the movies currently being shown on the Grand.

Thank you for responses.

There's a CT on most cruises that are 7 days or more (sometimes 2).

The CT we did was the 2nd one. It was offered because we had one just for CC members.:D

If you want to do it, go to Pax Services as soon as you get on the ship. The places that you can sign up include: call the DINE line, speak to the Maitré D' (if you can find him) and Pax Services.

CN24, JF has provided you with a pretty comprehensive answer to your question. I would emphasize, that you want to get your name on the list as soon as you board. The one time I did it, I called the DINE line as soon as we arrived in to our cabin, but if you can do it at the Passenger Services Desk, that's great. Just don't think, "Oh, I'll get around to it after lunch or after the muster drill, or tomorrow." Seating is limited to 10 or 12 people. When you do sign up, you are actually putting your name on a request list. If your name is selected, you will be receiving notification in 24-48 hours which will include instructions.

BTW, we will be on the same cruise. I'm looking forward to a fantastic cruise, and I'm sure that you are, too.

We signed up for this on our recent cruise (July 27), but did not get to do it. When we signed up, we were told that they sometimes do it but it varies from one trip to another. We got a nice letter from the head chef indicating that there was not enough interest to do it that trip, and apologizing for that.

I can check my notes later regarding the movies.

These are the movies that were listed in the Patters for the Jan. 27 cruise. There were numerous ones on the cabin TV that weren't so listed. MUTS movies were frequently replayed in a theater/lounge the next day, and later on the TV, so I won't double-list them.

TV:

Mrs. Doubtfire

Juno

Nine Months

Extraordinary Measures

Fences

Life or Something Like It

Lounge/Theater:

Logan

Wilson

Mis Sloane

MUTS:

Gifted

The Boss Baby

Now You See Me 2

Hidden Figures

Finding Dory

Eddie the Eagle

Beauty and the Beast

Kong: Skull Island

La La Land

The Zookeeper's Wife

Grease

The Lego Batman Movie

Concert: Shania Twain Still the One - Las Vegas

The Great Wall

Cirque du Soleil: Dralion

Concert: Jeff Lynne's ELO: At Hyde Park

Arrival

The Princess Bride

Monster Trucks

A Dog's Purpose

We signed up for this on our recent cruise (July 27), but did not get to do it. When we signed up, we were told that they sometimes do it but it varies from one trip to another. We got a nice letter from the head chef indicating that there was not enough interest to do it that trip, and apologizing for that.

Who was the Entertainment/Cruise Director(s)?

Wow. I thought the Chef's Table event was really popular, and that is why I urged the OP to not delay in signing up. I'm sorry you did not get your chance, Yosef. With luck, next time. . . .

Not surprising on an Alaskan cruise...

Historically speaking Alaskan cruises attract the largest percentage of first time cruisers, much more than any other itinerary.

So as an example what may be a very well known and popular event (this case the Chef's Table) for a Princess Caribbean or European cruise, Alaska first timers may not even be aware that such a dinning experience is available on Princess or even how to go about booking it even if they did.

Additionally on a personal note, I also think that the whole Chef Table fad is in general just finally losing some of it's luster, and becoming a bit too familiar to a lot of frequent Princess cruiser's. I know it has for me (YMMV)

Srpilo

Not surprising on an Alaskan cruise...

Historically speaking Alaskan cruises attract the largest percentage of first time cruisers, much more than any other itinerary.

So as an example what may be a very well known and popular event (this case the Chef's Table) for a Princess Caribbean or European cruise, Alaska first timers may not even be aware that such a dinning experience is available on Princess or even how to go about booking it even if they did.

Additionally on a personal note, I also think that the whole Chef Table fad is in general just finally losing some of it's luster, and becoming a bit too familiar to a lot of frequent Princess cruiser's. I know it has for me (YMMV)

Srpilo

This was our first Princess cruise, so it was new to us. I did notice that it wasn't advertised the way a lot of the other shipboard events were. And who knows, perhaps the "not enough interest" letter was a polite way of not explaining some other reason for not having it. But it wasn't a make-or-break for us, so maybe next time.

This was our first Princess cruise, so it was new to us. I did notice that it wasn't advertised the way a lot of the other shipboard events were. And who knows, perhaps the "not enough interest" letter was a polite way of not explaining some other reason for not having it. But it wasn't a make-or-break for us, so maybe next time.

There will often be a notice of it in the embarkation day Patter but many may not see that paragraph in the excitement of starting the cruise and all the other information the Patter has that day.

I am not familiar with the details of Chefs Table on Princess....have participated in probably similar on other lines...would really appreciate knowing more.....such as does this include wine pairings, typically how many courses, is this a dinner or daytime event, and what is approximate cost per person? Thank you.

I am not familiar with the details of Chefs Table on Princess....have participated in probably similar on other lines...would really appreciate knowing more.....such as does this include wine pairings, typically how many courses, is this a dinner or daytime event, and what is approximate cost per person? Thank you.

On our cruise (some ships--Royal and Regal?--have a slightly more expensive "Chef's Table Lumiere") it was something like $95/person with wine pairings or $75 without. It's a dinner event, where you meet with the staff in the kitchen (with hors d'oeuvres) then adjourn to a table for, I think, 3 or 4 courses. Those who have actually done it can probably describe it better than I can.

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/food-and-dining/specialty-restaurants/chefs-table-info.html

Meet MD day ahead for briefing. Meet in Piazza to get suited up. Into galley for hand washing training. Then 6 appetizer courses in the galley, with bubbly. Then disrobe and out to table, wine, soup, wine, sorbet, wine, cheese, wine, mains, wine, desert, wine, coffee. Cookbook autographed by Chef and MD. and group photo. $95 pp

like that