Recent experiences disembarking at san pedro

bigenna

We will be disembarking the Star Princess on Wednesday October 25th to head to LAX for an 11:45 flight home to Vancouver. We leave from Terminal Two

Would like to arrive at least 2 hours prior, @9:45.

We plan to ask for first group walk off with our own luggage.

I know it is cutting it a little fine, but any recent experiences?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We will be disembarking the Star Princess on Wednesday October 25th to head to LAX for an 11:45 flight home to Vancouver. We leave from Terminal Two

IMO........Not cutting it close at all.

Have sailed in and out of SP many times.

I would do self walk off and take Uber or a cab.

You can be off by 7:30-8:00am.

The cab is approx $60. Uber was $35 for us in April.

IMO........Not cutting it close at all.

Have sailed in and out of SP many times.

I would do self walk off and take Uber or a cab.

You can be off by 7:30-8:00am.

The cab is approx $60. Uber was $35 for us in April.

Thanks. That is what I thought when I booked this flight. Even with adding an hour for traffic and another 45 minutes for unforeseen we should still make it to the airport by 9:45.

Just started second guessing when I was not able to input "independent " travel plans on Princess site - they say not enough recommended time.

Thanks. That is what I thought when I booked this flight. Even with adding an hour for traffic and another 45 minutes for unforeseen we should still make it to the airport by 9:45.

Just started second guessing when I was not able to input "independent " travel plans on Princess site - they say not enough recommended time.

You should be still able to input it but it has that warning attached to it. ;)

Yikes ...that is pushing it for LAX. I almost didn't made a noon flight had it not been for an angel that scooted us to the beginning of the line after explaining we were going to miss our flight. We were there by 11:45 and ran!! I mean we had to run to make it to our gate!! There was no sitting while waiting to board our flight. Who knows, maybe that same angel still works at the port in San Pedro.

Be sure to have a plan B just in case. I would never book a flight before 1:30 out of LAX ever again! While we did make it, that was just way too stressful.

Yikes ...that is pushing it for LAX. I almost didn't made a noon flight had it not been for an angel that scooted us to the beginning of the line after explaining we were going to miss our flight. We were there by 11:45 and ran!! I mean we had to run to make it to our gate!! There was no sitting while waiting to board our flight. Who knows, maybe that same angel still works at the port in San Pedro.

Be sure to have a plan B just in case. I would never book a flight before 1:30 out of LAX ever again! While we did make it, that was just way too stressful.

CruiseRaider, were you in the first walk off group with luggage in hand? If so, what time did you get through all that and ready to get in your taxi? Did you hit heavy traffic encounters that caused delays?

Interested to know your exact experience if you would share it thx.

On the SoCal freeways one never knows where and when someone is going to play bumper car and shutdown a lane. Also highway maintenance also will cause a lane to be temporarily shut down so definitely plan ahead.

Shut a lane down? Last time we disembarked at San Pedro, they had an entire freeway shutdown. We had to drive miles out of our way to get home. Should have realized that it was going to be a bad day when CBP were a little late in starting that day. :(

Not a good idea. Last time I travelled from SP to LAX back to YVR. We arrived at the airport at 10:30. We weee the first to walk off and a cab. The port had a few ships in at the same time at SP also.

We had pre clearance at LAX, and barely made it for a 11:30 flight. Not worth the stress.

Too many factors you aren't in control of. CBP delays due to additional ships, freeway closures, LAX congestion

Weekday rush hour commute is your biggest problem.

I did it last September on a Monday because it was the only flight that would allow me to catch my connecting international flight in MIA. I walked my bags off on the first walk off group, took a Taxi as there was no time to wait for an uber. There was traffic getting to the airport and then extreme traffic at the airport. The chaos at LAX and American Airlines was brutal. I have TSA precheck and made it in time to walk up during the boarding process. It was very stressful. Had I missed that flight I would not have been at work the next day.

Your 11:45 flight is 15 minutes earlier than mine. Many will tell you it is doable, but the amount of stress you will endure will be another factor of your vacation. Just check with the airline what the policy is if you miss the flight. Always need a plan B. My Plan B was getting a hotel at LAX and leaving the next day but glad it didn't come to that.

I would never do that to myself again if I didn't HAVE to do it.

CruiseRaider, were you in the first walk off group with luggage in hand? If so, what time did you get through all that and ready to get in your taxi? Did you hit heavy traffic encounters that caused delays?

Interested to know your exact experience if you would share it thx.

We tried to get in the first walk off group and were denied. We are elite on Princess, too ... so kind of maddening this wasn't taken into account and would have booked a later flight if we'd have known. We did make it into the third walk off group off but by this time, there was a huge line up to get through customs.

We had a private car scheduled to take us to the airport .... and then security there was bad, too. Traffic, oddly enough, was not the issue.

Shouldn't be a problem if the itinerary is a loop cruise - if it's a linehaul cruise (starts someplace else, ends in LA) it could be a little tight.

We were on a linehaul sailing that got in on-time, yet we left the ship at 1:50 pm and missed a 4:30 flight, due to CBP delays. Granted, the plural of anecdote is not evidence, but having a plan B is not a bad idea.

I think it's likely that you won't miss your check-in window but I am moderately convinced you will not set foot on the airport sidewalk by 9:45 absent the stars aligning.

Checking the San Pedro cruise port for October 25th shows only the sun in court that day. This should be an advantage for you. I would always consider 20 bucks if necessary to get your early departure. Or more if necessary. Thinking ahead assures someone will take care of you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app

Shouldn't be a problem if the itinerary is a loop cruise - if it's a linehaul cruise (starts someplace else, ends in LA) it could be a little tight.

We were on a linehaul sailing that got in on-time, yet we left the ship at 1:50 pm and missed a 4:30 flight, due to CBP delays. Granted, the plural of anecdote is not evidence, but having a plan B is not a bad idea.

I think it's likely that you won't miss your check-in window but I am moderately convinced you will not set foot on the airport sidewalk by 9:45 absent the stars aligning.

Our cruise on the Star starts in Vancouver and has port stops in Seattle, Astoria, and San Francisco, two days later we disembark at San Pedro.

I guess we will be crossing our fingers as we booked under a non refundable fare and can't rebook without paying for a new flight. Have to cross that bridge when we come to it.

A few years ago we did a similar trip, our flight was around five but due to a shooting that closed down LAX, all flights were delayed.

You can never tell what will happen, as long as we get home safe and sound that is the main thing.

We go out of San Pedro once or twice a year. The biggest concern will be Customs followed by traffic. One year during the Budget/Debt Limit negotiations a partial government shutdown was going on, that caused a delay in Customs showing up, we were several hours late in getting off the ship. 11:15 maybe a problem, a later flight would reduce your stress from an otherwise wonderful week on the ocean. Just saying..

We go out of San Pedro once or twice a year. The biggest concern will be Customs followed by traffic. One year during the Budget/Debt Limit negotiations a partial government shutdown was going on, that caused a delay in Customs showing up, we were several hours late in getting off the ship. 11:15 maybe a problem, a later flight would reduce your stress from an otherwise wonderful week on the ocean. Just saying..

Our cruise on the Star starts in Vancouver and has port stops in Seattle, Astoria, and San Francisco, two days later we disembark at San Pedro.

I guess we will be crossing our fingers as we booked under a non refundable fare and can't rebook without paying for a new flight. Have to cross that bridge when we come to it.

A few years ago we did a similar trip, our flight was around five but due to a shooting that closed down LAX, all flights were delayed.

You can never tell what will happen, as long as we get home safe and sound that is the main thing.

I would not do it. But I am a cautious person who lives in SO CA. The time from the walk off to LAX should be OK it takes about 40 minutes or so once you get into your transportation. So 9 times out 10 you will be OK. However things can happen. One time time our ship was delayed by fog and we walked off well after 10:00. All the customs people have to show up for work. If some don't show you will have delays. That happened to us once. But those are minor concerns when considering traffic. Wednesday morning on the 405 or 105?? Good luck. It is worse if there is rain (not much in Oct), police activity or an accident. Once at LAX you have to deal with traffic there and TSA lines. So if everything falls into place you should make it. But one thing goes wrong you got a problem.

So, my advice to you is that as soon as you board the ship, go to guest services and explain that you absolutely have to be in the first walk off group. Many people will be requesting this as there will most likely be a lot of passengers that will only have carry on luggage. Whenever that happens, as on these shorter itineraries, I've noticed a lot of people requesting walk off. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!!

Oh ...and if you don't have TSA pre-check or Global whatever that is, it might help to look into it.