Considering the Maasdam - a few questions....

lor74

Hello,

I am thinking of booking the Maasdam sailing from Boston->Montreal. I have never sailed on this ship or HAL before and have some questions:

1 - I had read that the pool has a retractable roof. Would it be in use at the end of Sept for a CAN/NE cruise? Should I pack a bathing suit?

2 - Would I need a jacket and/or tie for formal nights?

3 - Does the ship have an area besides the buffet where you can get small eats such as pastries or sandwiches?

4 - Pinnacle Grill....how much does it cost? Can you order as much as you want or is it limited to one app, main, dessert?

5 - Is there a gym and if so how is the equipment?

6 - I read that there is no fridge in the rooms but that the steward will bring ice. Is there anything else that I would find missing compared to other lines?

7 - How is the salad selection at the dinner buffet?

8 - This would be a cheap, last minute cruise. There are 2 options for inside cabins: deck 5, or deck 5 & 6. Is one floor better than the other for the category L?

That is it for the moment. Thanks in advance!!!

Edited by lor74

Hello,

I am thinking of booking the Maasdam sailing from Boston->Montreal. I have never sailed on this ship or HAL before and have some questions:

1 - I had read that the pool has a retractable roof. Would it be in use at the end of Sept for a CAN/NE cruise? Should I pack a bathing suit?

It's in use whenever it's needed and yes, I would pack a bathing suit.

currently, yes. they are now gala nights and the interpretation of the dress code is open, but I would.

3 - Does the ship have an area besides the buffet where you can get small eats such as pastries or sandwiches?

Yes, the Dive In for burgers, hot dogs and fries, a taco bar and the Lido has a sandwich area that is open well past the Lido opening hours. Pastries at the specialty coffee as well.

4 - Pinnacle Grill....how much does it cost? Can you order as much as you want or is it limited to one app, main, dessert?

lunch is $10 (and a steal) and dinner is $29. you can order as many apps and desserts as you want but one main course or you need to pay extra I believe.

yes, there is a gym - small as it is a small ship

6 - I read that there is no fridge in the rooms but that the steward will bring ice. Is there anything else that is I would find missing compared to other lines?

fridges in some cabins (vista and above I believe) and you can rent one for a nominal cost for the lower category cabins. And yes, the stewards will bring you ice.

Good on our cruises for both lunch and dinner.

attempted to answer you above in bold

Hello,

6 - I read that there is no fridge in the rooms but that the steward will bring ice. Is there anything else that I would find missing compared to other lines?

8 - This would be a cheap, last minute cruise. There are 2 options for inside cabins: deck 5, or deck 5 & 6. Is one floor better than the other for the category L?

The Lido Pool with retractable roof will be in use assuming nothing out of the ordinary.

Cabins that have a verandah on Maasdam have a mini-bar frig. If you are in a cabin without one, you can arrange to rent one for $2 per day but keep in mind the space and electric outlet it will need. If you want one, arrange in advance with Ship's Services.

There seems to be some vague language about jacket and tie for formal nights underway on HAL at the moment. To be sure you will be seated, wear a jacket and at least put a tie in your pocket in case you need it. My interpretation of the new language is no jacket or tie absolutely required anymore but there is disagreement about that.

In Pinnacle Grill for dinner, you can have whatever apps and dessert you wish but only one entrée without paying an additional fee above the original upcharge.

There is a gym with stair steppers, treadmills, etc some classes, weights.... Small but adequate for most

Your steward will refill your ice bucket twice a day and more if you request.

I have done the Boston to Montreal to Boston b-to-b year after year and never tire of it. We always thought it one of HAL's best short cruises.

Edited by sail7seas

If you choose a Neptune Lounge suite, you can get snacks, appetizers and light bites appropriate to the time of day from breakfast until early evening in the separate lounge area. There is always room service too for every cabin level - 24/7 for lighter options or entrees.

If you are looking for snack items, ice cream, cookies, fruit and some desserts are also out in between regular buffet or dining hours. Cheese-crackers -depending on the ship can also be available outside of regular dining hours. Plus there is a ship store where you can purchase an array of commercial snack or candy items. Plus there is free popcorn in the movie theater, and you don't need to attend the movie to get a bag. Not sure they still have the complimentary house-made chocolates in the Explorers Lounge for the evening Adagio concerts but that was one other "hidden" HAL treat too. I believe you can have the steward provide a fruit bowl of your choice every day for all cabin levels, but not sure about this.

The Maasdam is one of the special feeling HAL ships - something always seems to click with their crews and she gets some of the very special itineraries too. Looks to me like one of the best for New England and she used to be the only one doing the legendary Voyages of the Viking cruise.

I love the prepared dinner salads in the main dining rooms, which I now often order instead of their full dinner entrees because by evening I am already full on all the other dining options available elsewhere. Between the Dive In and the formal tea offerings in the middle of the day, a dinner salad only looks good to me by evening. Fun food choices on HAL ships makes it a real departure from routine for us. But I can stop at just their wonderful fresh baked breads and sweet butter. The best we have found on any ship.

Agree, the salad bar at the buffet has a very good array of choices - both in greens and fresh vegetable selections and cold meat, fish or marinated vegetable additions as well to add as toppers to the greens. Choice of dressings and quickly learned my own favorite dressing was a tiny bit of oil mixed with the Indonesian "ABC" ketsup manis (sweet soy) sauce, that you can get from the condiment tray or from behind the "asian" counter.

We always like the deck floor that is closer to the activity venues, if you can take a few flights of stairs and don't want to wait for an elevator. But check what is above and below you.

The lower floors have larger cabins and more storage if you look at the deck plans. Additionally, if you have a cabin on the wrap around walking promenade deck (deck name and number varies) you will be affected by the exterior lights that are kept on at night -close curtains will block them out, but then you miss the full daylight creeping into your room in the mornings.

If you are getting a bargain price, I think you have picked a very good deal. Great ship and great itinerary.

Edited by OlsSalt

They offer a great room service menu. Usually there is a TEA everyday with interesting munchies. Honestly, I doubt you will ever be hungry. Toward the ends of our cruises I tend to say "Oh, no! time to eat again?"

You asked about inside cabins ...

On both Main Deck (what you referred to as Deck 5) and Lower Promenade (which you called Deck 6), the L-category cabins should be excellent for you. They are large, with plenty of storage.

They have a large shower, instead of a tub, and a long vanity with long shelf underneath.

The cabins on Main Deck will have cabins both above and below, so should be quiet. Be careful on Lower Promenade that you are not between mid-ship and the aft elevator, as that is under the galley (which is making noise all night). Lower Promenade cabins have quick and easy access to the great outdoors.

I'm not sure where the L-category cabins are (I didn't check the deck plans), but if any are far forward or aft there will likely be noise when docking in the morning; but that's when you are likely to be getting up anyway. Forward, especially on Main, can get bumpy in rough seas.

Room service is available 24 hours a day at no charge. In addition to the standard room service menu, during the main dining room dinner hours you can order whatever is on the menu for dinner that day.

Really, this applies to any cabin type at no charge? Wow!

Really, this applies to any cabin type at no charge? Wow!

Love the French Onion soup on the room service menu, the steak sandwich and chocolate cake with raspberry sauce. Yes, it is all included including hot breakfasts brought to your room. You leave a door hanger out the night before and tick off the items and the time you want

The cheap pricing available includes the cabins in the forward section of deck 5/main (503, 504, 506, and maybe some of the cat L cabin right next to those) or cabin 698 in the aft. I would imagine that they would all be the same as far as motion, noise, etc., except for 698.

Anyone have any input for these cabins?

Thanks!

Edited by lor74

The cheap pricing available includes the cabins in the forward section of deck 5/main (503, 504, 506, and maybe some of the cat L cabin right next to those) or cabin 698 in the aft. I would imagine that they would all be the same as far as motion, noise, etc., except for 698.

Anyone have any input for these cabins?

Thanks!

FWIW, if I can't be in centre, then I would far rather be aft. Doesn't matter the category.

I avoid forward cabins except on the Prinsendam which is not built like the other HAL ships. JMO

Hello,

I'm never sailed Maasdam but have sailed her sister Veendam and they belong to a wonderful class of ships. Enjoy these small[ish] ships while you still can because they are getting rarer and rarer except for very high end lines. In fact, my mom sailed with me back in May and loved it so much she is back on board right now with my dad doing the Historic Coasts itinerary!

We had an interior cabin on Deck 5 [J category I believe] that was midship and it was more than adequate...HAL staterooms are fairly large compared to other lines and feature plenty of storage. You even get a loveseat which is rare in most lines' interiors!! When we sailed to Bermuda, the retractable roof was closed at some periods even when it was warm and sunny so I would bet that there will be times on your sailing that it will be as well. Bring your bathing suit even if it's only for the Jacuzzis! :D

I only had lunch in Pinnacle Grill because dinner was sold out before we even boarded unless we wanted to eat at 5.30pm [no thanks!] but at $10 for lunch it was well worth it; the china, linens, atmosphere and service were all divine, not to mention the food! :D

Something you didn't ask about but I will mention anyway is to make sure you go to the Indonesian/Filipino buffet for dinner the night they have it. It is the only time in all my cruises that I've taken dinner in the buffet rather than the MDR and it was amazing. The crew are so proud of their cultures and love it immensely when passengers appreciate it. Every item was so special and not something most people would eat on an everyday basis; truly a treat and something that is uniquely HAL.