Why does the Prinsendam depart from Ijmuiden

Boiler Cruiser

Having sailed in 2013 from Amsterdam on the Eurodam, I may be able to help supply a reason.

In my opinion, sailing from this beautiful city, through its busy and colorful harbor, and entering the North Sea Canal, sailing by other interesting sights including the dike gates that protect the city, well, it was a great way to begin a cruise and being a b2b, I was able to do it twice.

Entering the locks leading to the North Sea, the Eurodam required a tug to be attached to her bow in order to hold her steady within the lock because of the very strong winds. It had to have been difficult seamanship for Captain de Vries on the Bridge.

The cost for the tug and the time/fuel needed to get from Amsterdam to the North Sea as well as the potential navigation issues at the North Sea Canal may be the reason that Ijmuiden is being used.

Planning for ports is done up to a year or two more. Rarely is port changed for unless there is a good reason. Most likely because the dock space up at the Amsterdam terminal is already planned for other ships and the other ship is in the planning before HAL. It can happens.

Port planners might have two ships required for dock space. Makes more sense for a large ship with 2000 passengers to dock there and have a small 700 passenger ship out at the Ijmuiden.

The only to reason to find out is look at your brochure. If you are planned go Ijmuiden .... check those dates in Amsterdam Terminal and find out what ships are booked for there.

All that HAL can do... for at any port in the world... they have to request the docking space. Can't just arrive and expect to have the space.

Many years ago... in the 70s... a large passenger arrived off Bermuda and called for the pilot. There was no ship planned and no idea that the ship was calling. The captain insisted. All of the berths were occupied and no tenders were available for two ships at anchor. The owners of the ship had done nothing... no agent, no request for space .... nothing! Very embarrassed ship owner and they were told, "Try next year!"

Stephen

I suspect it is the cost of transiting the canal combined with the size of the ship. From the entrance to the Amsterdam canal the Ijmuiden dock is quite a sharp right angle turn and the dock is a bit on the short side. It seems unlikely that it's a problem with capacity in Amsterdam as the Prinsendam has 2 Ijmuiden calls left this year. On September 2 there is just an Oceania ship in Amsterdam and September 16 the port is empty. I've seen calls in 2016 where there were 2 big ships in Amsterdam.

Roy

It is cheaper to HAL. The ship doesnot have to sail Northsea canal for 2 hours getting to Amsterdam (and another 2 hours on the way back) and doesnot need to pass through the lock in IJmuiden, which takes also some time.

It is not nice to passengers as IJmuiden is a bit isolated for tourists and there is no real good public transport.

Besides most passengers loved to watch how the ship sails through the lock and of course the fact that the Amsterdam cruise terminal is almost city centre, close to Centraal Station, has public transport and is an easy cabride to/from the airport.

All big cruisehips can easily dock at the cruise terminal, often 2 at the same time.

I completely agree with Ine. The only reason the Prinsendam departs from IJmuiden is money. Apart from the extra time it takes to sail into Amsterdam proper, they also save on the considerable costs of passing the locks in IJmuiden.

We sailed from IJmuiden this summer and we were wondering what difficulties foreign guest might encounter to get to IJmuiden Port. There was a very expensive bus transfer available from Schiphol Airport, but as we are Dutch, and living in Rotterdam- on the map not too far from IJmuiden-we decided to go by public transport. A hurdle race and not very easy for people not used to our public transport system.

The cruise terminal in IJmuiden is a sad affair in the middle of nowhere. A depressing start and end of what should be a very nice holiday. It is very easy for the Prinsendam to sail into Amsterdam ( or Rotterdam, of course ), far larger ships dock there. Both ports can accommodate more than one ship at the time.

No, really, the only reason is saving on the extra costs of docking in Amsterdam. HAL seems to make this its mission nowadays. I feel very sorry for the foreign guests who miss out on a beautiful start of their cruise from the very nice cruise terminal in the center of Amsterdam (conveniently located next to the central train station) and have to leave from an industrial port.

Apologies. I was assuming that the Prinsendam was coming as a 'cruise port' not as an embarkation/disembarkation port.

As a cruise port... yes I can imagine that it would be best for everyone to be at the Amsterdam terminal... the Canal cruise and a short step into the city.

I have to admit, the last time I came into Amsterdam was in Queen Elizabeth and was a beautiful sail into the Canal and we had an overnight and all the next day. I did not even get into Amsterdam apart from a quick drive. My mission was to head to Rotterdam and De Rotterdam... Prins Hendrik and a great lunch with good friends.

So.. as a cruise port, I can understand that there are higher charges etc for all the reasons and the most likely for that... IF we are talking about as a cruise port the terminal may not be available. May not be.

As an embarkation/disembarkation port? Ijmuiden is quite perfect and yes, I can completely understand HAL wanting to save money for not coming up to the North Canal.... waste of time and money.

Passengers disembarking are leaving at the first time of the day. They will not see any of the North Canal because they will be asleep. Ship to airport and will not see anything... unless they are staying for extra time. If you get to an airport... you will get there from Amsterdam or Schiphol just as easy by coach so does not matter. If you are going to a hotel? Well, Amsterdam or Ijmuiden.... you will still have to wait until late afternoon anyway.

For embarkation passengers... Schiphol to Ijmuiden... well most will have their coaches or other transport. People will come out from all over. Can't be convenient for everyone. Might be convenient for some people staying in Amsterdam... and not Rotterdam... and just the opposite! Now, if the terminal for Rotterdam was not on de Wilhelminakade... but if it was out have Hoek van Holland? Good for some... and bad for others.

At the end of day, HAL have made Ijmuiden a terminal port. It saves money. Not for HAL... it saves on the cost of your own cruise ticket! You pay for the North Canal that you may not even see? I'd rather stay in Ijmuiden.

Ijmuiden Port... is it as bad as everyone thinks? When I went there forty years ago as an ore port... great time... and still time had time to get into Amsterdam... on an old bus.. well, it wasn't back then.

IJMUIDEN: If you get Lemons.... better to make Lemonade!

"The port of IJmuiden is situated along the North Sea canal estuary, which discharges into the sea through enormous locks. Cruise ships moor at the Felison Terminal, which is conveniently located on the seaward side of the locks. The elegant terminal is able to harbour cruise vessel up to 295 meters, granting time saving access to the dynamic city of Amsterdam. With close access to Schiphol Airport, Felison Terminal provides an ideal starting point for cruises to the Baltic, Norway’s Fjords and North Cape, as well as, the British Isles and the Atlantic West Coast. IJmuiden offers a beautiful beachfront, a protected dune landscape, a public golf club, horse stables and an indoor skiing slope. A fast hydrofoil will take you to Amsterdam in less than thirty minutes. So visiting IJmuiden combines an easy, time and costs saving access to Holland’s top marquee attractions, next to a broad pallet of local touristic gemstones, which are yet to be discovered by the wider audience."

Stephen

Edited by Topsham

Agree with Ine and Fokeltje.

To me "city departures" are real highlights in my cruise experience. Whereas departures from industrial or container ports are completely non-memorable.

But that's part of the fine art of cost cutting. Some people won't mind, where others do. That of all ships the Prinsendam, (being promoted as the ship that thanks to its smaller size can go to places other can't) has been exiled to IJmuiden is a bit bizarre.

Call me a conspiracy theorist, but we think it is all about money.....in HAL's pockets. It costs time and fuel (and fees) to take a cruise ship all the way to Amsterdam. For many of the same reasons that HAL (and some other lines) have reduced port times (usually by 1-3 hours) and even the number of ports.....they are now avoiding the extra cost to get to Amsterdam. Using Ijmuiden makes it easy for HAL to slow down the cruising speed of a ship while still making port at about the same time (early morning for embarkation/debarkation). The only incentive for HAL to go all the way through the canal to Amsterdam is for the convenience of the passengers...and it seems like this goal is no longer seen as an important factor in itinerary planning. So, we are now seeing more and more of what I like to call "ports of convenience" which is about convenience for the cruise line's bottom line! It is not just Amsterdam. In Europe we are seeing more ships using Salerno (instead of Naples) or Toulon (instead of Marseille). On many itineraries these ports better fit the ships course/itinerary and can often allow a ship to cruise at lower speeds. When planning itineraries the planners have to carefully consider how fast a ship must cruise to make a port at a specific time. Changing the location of ports can be very valuable (to the bottom line). So, do you think I am just a conspiracy theorist?

Hank

I sailed Prinsendam out of Amsterdam in 2012 and 2013. Being near Central Station was wonderful and I really enjoyed being in Amsterdam in 2013 when the Prinsendam's departure was delayed while they worked on a damaged stabilizer -- so easy to walk into town and make good use of the unexpected days in Amsterdam.

In 2014 the Prinsendam moved to Ijmuiden. We took the train from Hoorn so it wasn't too difficult to get to Ijmuiden (got off at Beverwijk and took a taxi for the last bit). We leave from Ijmuiden again on 16 Sept and will be staying at the airport the night before. The transportation is not as good as we would need to change trains so we opted for the HAL transfer.

I would much rather leave from Amsterdam, but I understand that Ijmuiden is cheaper. What I don't understand (well I guess it is a "safety" issue) is the bus from the terminal to the ship which is an extremely short distance and I would just as soon walk it.

Also, there is immigration at the terminal so if you go out again after boarding be sure to bring your passport.

Quote:

"The port of IJmuiden is situated along the North Sea canal estuary, which discharges into the sea through enormous locks. Cruise ships moor at the Felison Terminal, which is conveniently located on the seaward side of the locks. The elegant terminal is able to harbour cruise vessel up to 295 meters, granting time saving access to the dynamic city of Amsterdam. With close access to Schiphol Airport, Felison Terminal provides an ideal starting point for cruises to the Baltic, Norway’s Fjords and North Cape, as well as, the British Isles and the Atlantic West Coast. IJmuiden offers a beautiful beachfront, a protected dune landscape, a public golf club, horse stables and an indoor skiing slope. A fast hydrofoil will take you to Amsterdam in less than thirty minutes. So visiting IJmuiden combines an easy, time and costs saving access to Holland’s top marquee attractions, next to a broad pallet of local touristic gemstones, which are yet to be discovered by the wider audience." unquote.

I am sorry Stephen, but your information isnot correct. That hydrofoil ferry stopped already about 2 years ago !!You forget to mention to big steel factory in IJmuiden, which makes IJmuiden not as nice as you mention.

That indoor skiing slope is miles away in Spaarnwoude (not IJmuiden). The cruise terminal is just a few years old but in a rather isolated place.

Buses and cabs can come in front of the Amsterdam terminal as well.

People embarking in Amsterdam love to sail northseacanal and passing the locks. Most ships leave around 5 or 6 pm, daylight, so the sailout is quite nice.

Many passengers prefer to arrive at least 1 day before their cruise leaves or will stay a few days in Amsterdam after their cruise, they certainly will not stay in IJmuiden.

Indeed you must have visited IJmuiden a long time ago.

PS The smell of the steel factory isnot that bad as in the old days anymore. In those days before going to the beach we checked the wind direction, to know what beach to go and escape from that smell.

Edited by Ine

OK... go back to my earlier comments... It also has to do with congestion with ships... not all ships can get into Amsterdam terminal... some will have to come Ijmuiden. And the losers will be the small ships.

Back to making lemonade. Hal seems to think so.

The cost of coming is Amsterdam is a very real cost to the passengers... and does not help HAL bottom line.... partly! The cost is Port Charges. It comes from passengers in their tickets.

I can think of places that are not all that convenient. Civitaveccia for sure.... even as a cruise call. Even New York.... ships will skip West Side in favour of Red Hook and Newark.

My old days at Ijmuiden... I was just a teenager. My first call at Amsterdam... a 17... for three weeks... in the Amsterdam Drydocks. On of the other cadets met a preacher on the street corner. Went for Sunday service and ended up marrying the preacher's daughter. One of the Junior Engineers 'jumped ship' and married one of the two girls we met ashore first evening. He still works at Amsterdam Drydocks! I was just 17 and the girl I met was far too old for me. She must have been at least 22! ;-)

Anyhow, comments on the subject...

Amsterdam port region develops in its role as port of call for cruise ships

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

For sea shipping and river cruise companies, Amsterdam and IJmuiden are increasing in their appeal as ports of call of choice. During the previous period, a positive trend emerged in maiden calls, for example. As many as eight ships called at IJmuiden or Amsterdam for the first time – five times at the Felison Cruise Terminal in IJmuiden and three times at Passenger Terminal Amsterdam.

A particularly unique event took place on 24 May, the day that the Holland America Line graced IJmuiden with one of its cruise ships, the majestic MS Prinsendam. Between now and August, the same cruise ship (which is able to accommodate 835 guests) will embark on another seven European cruises from the Port of IJmuiden.

Other striking scenes were the début arrival of two ships from the Costa shipping company in IJmuiden: the luxurious Costa neoRomantica (on 21 May) and the elegant Costa Classica (two days later). And last year, Mein Schiff 1 (from shipping company TUI Cruises) visited the Port of Amsterdam for the first time, whilst its sister ship, Mein Schiff 2, made an appearance there recently for the very first time.

The total number of maiden calls to be made this year will be an impressive thirteen.

Maarten Nouwen and Rachella Boellaard, both of whom work for the promotional organisation Amsterdam Cruise Port (ACP), are therefore very pleased about the development. Nouwen explains: “It is good to see that many different shipping companies are discovering the region of Amsterdam with new ships.” Boellaard concludes from this that the Amsterdam region appeals to tourists and it is high on their "to visit" list: “And shipping companies are of course responding to that wish.”

Connection

The terminal at IJmuiden (the Felison Cruise Terminal) is located before the locks of IJmuiden, which form the connection between the North Sea Canal and the North Sea. The terminal in Amsterdam (Passenger Terminal Amsterdam) is fantastically situated in the city centre. Both terminals offer a high level of service and easily meet the requirements that shipping companies place on docks. What's more, the terminals are located just a short distance from Schiphol Airport.

“The good connection with Amsterdam Airport Schiphol is ideal from IJmuiden”, explains the captain of the Prinsendam. The surrounding region is another reason for shipping companies to choose Amsterdam and IJmuiden as a port of call. “Haarlem is an interesting destination for our passengers”, explains the staff captain of the Prinsendam. As far as possible, the greatest compliment for the ports was made by the captain of the L’Austral (Compagnie du Ponant): “Sailing into Amsterdam continues to be one of the best experiences for a captain and his passengers.”

About the plaque & key ceremony

A maiden call – when a ship calls at a particular port for the first time - traditionally results in the plaque and key ceremony. During this celebration, which takes place on the ship, a delegation from the port warmly welcomes the ship's captain and presents him with a plaque & key (plaque of the city). The welcome delegation consists of representatives from the ports, Amsterdam Cruise Port (ACP) and staff of the terminal of call. In IJmuiden, the (deputy) mayor usually makes an appearance too. In addition to the plaque, the captain receives a copy of A Millennium of Amsterdam, a lovely book that outlines the origins of the Dutch capital, from ACP. The courtesies also consist of the captain giving a gift in return, usually also a plaque or a miniature version of the ship in question, followed by an extensive tour of the cruise ship.

About ACP

ACP stands for Amsterdam Cruise Port, the promotional organisation for cruises to the region. Around fifty partners are affiliated with ACP, including Passenger Terminal Amsterdam (PTA), Felison Cruise Terminal and Amsterdam Marketing.

By collaborating in the field of marketing and promotion, ACP expects the stream of cruise ships and passengers to continue. Whereas ACP's tourist partners work on campaigns for potential visitors, the nautical partners focus on shipping companies and tour operators. ACP's activities include undertaking promotional missions to shipping companies in America and Europe, and taking joint action during international trade fairs (including Seatrade Europe and Cruise Shipping Miami) and similar events.

Additional information

Amsterdam Cruise Port

We were on Prinsendam a couple of years ago. The captain advised us our sailing would be the last time Prinsendam sailed out of Amsterdam, and that future cruises would be ex IJmuiden. The reason he gave was that it was to cut out the lengthy sail time to get into/out of Amsterdam. We were sad to learn this because we enjoy the sail into Amsterdam, and being right in Amsterdam upon arrival/departure. As previous posters mentioned one might imagine, that in addition to saving time, it may also reduce costs as well. Still it's a great ship and the itineraries are very good.

I certainly like your memories of your stay in Amsterdam. Those were the days when the town was more quiet with less tourists.

Yes the PR people of ACP will praise IJmuiden as location, that is there job....

Maybe Costa docked in IJmuiden at that time, but then just once or twice. Costa still docks in Amsterdam cruise terminal as they do for many years.

Yes some ships dock in IJmuiden but by far not that many as in Amsterdam.

IJmuiden indeed isnot that far from Haarlem (nice city I lived there many years), but connections arenot that great, one needs 2 buses to get there.

(One of those buses goes to Amsterdam Marnixstraat, close to city center, not Centraal Station, nice if you travel without luggage).

Till now unfortunately I havenot seen any tours offered to Haarlem by cruiselines.

Also no direct connections in public transport to/from Schiphol airport, while cabs are very expensive. The best option are indeed shuttles offered by cruiselines.

For your information cruiseship arrivals 2015 in Amsterdam:http://www.cruisereiziger.nl/aankomsten/aankomsten-nederland/aankomsten-amsterdam/

arrivals in IJmuiden: http://www.cruisereiziger.nl/aankomsten/aankomsten-nederland/ijmuiden/

Hello Ine,

Here a list for ships due to call at Ijmuiden. Not as much as Amsterdam sure... but I have a funny feeling they are keeping Ijmuiden for the smaller ships.... as Prinsendam, Saga Sapphire etc. Could well the dock space at Amsterdam is required for the larger ship.

Oh, 1970 Amsterdam I was in Dam Square the night of the riot with the Dutch Marines and the hippies. I kept well out the way! (Wasn't that much of a riot.. we stayed in the bar!)Cruise Calender

Select your voyage for more information on the ship, the terminal, directions and parking availability.

September 2015

Prinsendam September 2nd Felison Cruise Terminal

FTI Berlin September 2nd Felison Terminal

FTI Berlin September 9th Felison Terminal

Saga Sapphire September 9th Felison Cruise Terminal

Empress September 14th Felison Cruise Terminal

Prinsendam September 16th Felison Cruise Terminal

AidaBella September 20th Felison Cruise Terminal

Saga Pearl II September 21st Felison Terminal

Astor September 24th Felison Terminal

AidaBella September 24th Felison Cruise Terminal

AidaBella September 28th Felison Cruise Terminal

October 2015

AidaBella October 2nd Felison Cruise Terminal

AidaBella October 6th Felison Cruise Terminal

Sea Spirit October 7th Felison Terminal

AidaBella October 10th Felison Cruise Terminal

December 2015

Saga Pearl II December 19th Felison Terminal

April 2016

AidaLuna April 23rd Felison Cruise Terminal

AidaVita April 25th Felison Cruise Terminal

May 2016

Saga Pearl II May 7th Felison Cruise Terminal

AidaSol May 15th Felison Cruise Terminal

Empress May 19th Felison Cruise Terminal

AidaSol May 19th Felison Cruise Terminal

AidaSol May 23rd Felison Cruise Terminal

AidaSol May 27th Felison Cruise Terminal

AidaSol May 31st Felison Cruise Terminal

June 2016

Prinsendam June 2nd Felison Cruise Terminal

Prinsendam June 16th Felison Cruise Terminal

Saga Sapphire June 20th Felison Cruise Terminal

July 2016

Saga Pearl II July 3rd Felison Cruise Terminal

Saga Pearl II July 5th Felison Cruise Terminal

Prinsendam July 6th Felison Cruise Terminal

Prinsendam July 20th Felison Cruise Terminal

August 2016

Prinsendam August 3rd Felison Cruise Terminal

Prinsendam August 23rd Felison Cruise Terminal

September 2016

Prinsendam September 6th Felison Cruise Terminal

AidaSol September 12th Felison Cruise Terminal

AidaSol September 24th Felison Cruise Terminal

Empress September 26th Felison Cruise Terminal

AidaSol September 26th Felison Cruise Terminal

AidaSol September 30th Felison Cruise Terminal

October 2016

AidaSol October 4th Felison Cruise Terminal

AidaSol October 8th Felison Cruise Terminal

AidaSol October 12th Felison Cruise Terminal

AidaSol October 16th Felison Cruise Terminal

December 2016

Saga Sapphire December 18th Felison Cruise Terminal

Here is bit of information for ships going to Ijmuiden... for Saga Cruises, the SAGA SAPPHIRE. This is for a cruise destination... not embarkation/disembarkation on this cruise.

IJmuiden

Arrive 0800. Depart 1600.

North Holland’s ‘Gate to the North Sea’, IJmuiden has four harbours: the Vissershaven, Haringhaven, IJmondhaven and the Seaport Marina - the latter used by pleasure craft. It is the largest Dutch fishing port, but is a relatively young town: it grew up in the 1870s when the North Sea Canal was opened. During World War II, the German Navy demolished much of the town and built huge fortified concrete bunkers for their torpedo boats and submarines. After 1945, the town was rebuilt to a plan by the architect Willem Marinus Dudok. He designed IJmuiden’s most impressive building, the Stadhuis van Velsen, which houses local government offices. For cruise passengers IJmuiden is the gateway to Amsterdam, the cosmopolitan capital of the Netherlands and one of Europe’s truly great cities, where elegant canals are lined by old brick gabled houses, and superb art galleries and museums are home to some of the world’s best-known paintings.

FactFile

Population 48,320 (2009)

Language Dutch

Currency Euro

Time Difference UK +1

Climate Temperate

Ship berths at Felison Terminal, IJmuiden

Distance from Centre 2 miles (IJmuiden), 16 miles (Amsterdam)

Distance from gangway to coach 100 yards (approximate)

Useful Information

Shopping IJmuiden's main shops are located on Lange Nieuwstraat. Amsterdam offers better shopping opportunities, its Magna Plaza is located on Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal 182 (behind the Royal Palace) and the De Bijenkorf department store is located at Dam 1.

Shopping Opening Hours Generally open Monday 1300-1800, Tuesday to Friday 1000-1800, Saturday 1000-1700 and Sunday from 1200-1800 (Amsterdam)

Post Office Amsterdam's main Post Office is located at Singel 250 and is open Monday to Friday 0900-1800, Saturday 1000-1330. Closed on Sunday

Tourist Office There is an information desk in the Passenger Terminal

How to Phone Home For the UK dial 00 44 followed by the full STD number, omitting the first zero

Emergency Services For all emergencies dial 112

Banks Amsterdam's Rabobank on Dam 16 is open Monday to Friday 0900-1700. There are other banks with 24-hour ATMs throughout Amsterdam and IJmuiden

Shore excursions you may be able to enjoy:

A Taste of Holland

Moderate Activity

This delightful tour begins with a drive through typical Dutch countryside to the small town of Zaandam, north of Amsterdam, where you visit Zaanse Schans, a quaint Dutch ‘windmill village’ that has been faithfully restored to recreate an 18th-century Zaan community. As you stroll through the quaint streets watching the craftsmen practising the trades of yesteryear, you will get a glimpse of what Dutch life once was. Once there were over 500 windmills in the Zaanstreek area, and eight have been preserved at Zaanse Schans. You will have an opportunity to witness the Old Dutch craft of clog making, or simply relax in an outdoor café. Continue from here to the archetypal Dutch village of Edam. Strolling along the cobbled streets, you will notice the unique Carillon tower with its bells that play a melody every 15 minutes. You will also notice the numerous beautiful canals that crisscross the village, and the drawbridges that cross over them. Your last stop is at a cheese factory, where local cheese is still made. Here you have the opportunity to sample some of the products before returning to your ship.

There is approximately 1,000 yards' walking during this tour, over cobbled and uneven surfaces. During your free time in Edam and at the Cheese Factory, walking is at your discretion. Windmill

Amsterdam Transfer

Moderate Activity

Enjoy time at leisure in one of Europe's great cities. An hour-long transfer brings you to Amsterdam, where you will disembark your coach at a designated point. Perhaps spend the day either browsing the many museums and art galleries, relaxing in the many canal-side cafes, or simply exploring this delightful city.

We recommend that you take an umbrella and a jacket, as there is limited shelter during your stay in the city. Coach access to the centre of Amsterdam is restricted. Please note: no stops will be made en route from the ship to your drop off point in Amsterdam or on the return to the ship. This transfer is non-guided and does not include lunch or entrance fees. City maps are provided for your convenience. The Van Gogh Museum and the Rijksmuseum are scheduled to open from 1000 to 1700. Opening hours are subject to change without notice. Journey time to Amsterdam is approximately 1 hour each way. Passengers are advised to purchase museum tickets from the tourist office to avoid long queues. Discover Amsterdam at your own pace

Highlights of Amsterdam and Canal Cruise

Limited Availability Strenuous activity

With 1,000 bridges and 60 miles of canals lined with picturesque gabled houses, Amsterdam is a unique and fascinating place to explore. Start your excursion with a short drive to the 17th-century Westerkerk (Western Church) where Rembrandt is reputed to be buried, and see the small statue of Anne Frank nearby before visiting the Anne Frank House. Here, this young girl and her family hid for many months during World War II. She recorded their experience in a diary, which is among the original objects on display. Visit their former hiding place, which remains in its original condition, before leaving this moving museum to embark on a one-hour tour through the Amsterdam canals aboard a glass-topped canal boat. Pass under historic bridges and view narrow houses with hoists and cranes - a reminder of the city’s canal-based commercial heritage - before ending your excursion with a scenic drive around the centre of Amsterdam. Enjoy such highlights as the Baroque Royal Palace on Dam Square, the Nieuwe Kerk (New Church), Mint Tower and the 15th-century Weeper’s Tower before returning to your ship.

There is walking of around half-a-mile on this tour, with 100 steep steps at the Anne Frank House and approximately 10 steps at your boat pontoon. Please note that your visit to the Anne Frank House is not guided. The journey to Amsterdam takes approximately one hour each way. Cruise Amsterdam's canal

Keukenhof and Canal Cruise

Limited Availability Moderate Activity

Keukenhof is home to the best known Tulip Festival in the world. Every Spring, this historic park unleashes an unforgettable exhibition of vibrantly coloured border displays whilst the indoor pavilions house just about every type and colour of tulip imaginable. Since you will be visiting in April, there is every possibility of experiencing the sweet smelling hyacinths and the magnificent daffodils too. Lunch is not provided in this tour, allowing you to dine out independently at Keukenhof in one of several restaurants; or if you prefer, you can request a packed lunch from the ship to enjoy amongst the glorious visual feast of the millions of spring bulbs. After your visit to Keukenhof, journey to Amsterdam and embark on a one-hour tour through Amsterdam's canals aboard a glass-topped canal boat. Embrace yourself in the city's atmosphere and culture as you pass narrow houses with hoists and cranes, a reminder of yesteryear's canal-based commercial heritage. After the Canal Boat ride, return to the ship.

Walking at Keukenhof is at your own discretion. The gardens are laid out over 32 hectares and include 80 aces of paved footpaths. There is approximately 500 yards' walking from your coach to the pontoon for the canal cruise, with approximately 10 steps. Toilet facilities are limited on the canal boat. Owing to limited availability on this excursion, it is advisable to book early. Keukenhof Festival of Tulips

Keukenhof Festival of Flowers

Strenuous activity

Join this excursion to Keukenhof, Holland's world famous spring garden to experience the overwhelming explosion of colour from more than 7 million varieties of tulips and flowers. Keukenhof means "kitchen garden" and was originally a minor nobleman's vegetable garden. Today, the garden has bloomed to include 80 acres of paved footpaths that traverse lawns, streams, lakes and pavilions featuring various exhibitions. The Keukenhof is Holland's best known bulb display garden and is inspirational to the avid gardener, photographer and anyone who would enjoy a day out in a beautiful park setting. During your independent visit you have the opportunity to admire spring in all its glory. A historic parkland of 32 hectares invites you to walk through themed gardens with fountains and water features that all add to the splendour of the park. There is even a traditional Dutch smock windmill, the Groningen Mill, which may be seen turning if the wind allows. The overwhelming display of colour of the tulips, hyacinths and narcissi form a striking contrast and there are plenty of terraces and restaurants where you can relax.

Mobility scooters and wheelchairs are available at the park for a charge of approximately €10.00 per day plus a security deposit of approximately €20.00 in cash. Hire must be arranged in advance through the Gardens: details are available on http://www.keukenhof.nl or by telephoning 00 31 252 465 564. The deposit is refundable upon return of the wheelchair and/or mobility scooter. Passengers are advised that the hire of a wheelchair and/or mobility scooter is an independent request with the Park and Saga Cruises have no responsibility regarding the availability, hire, use or return of the wheelchair and/or mobility scooter. Refreshments are not included on this excursion, and any walking is at your discretion. Keukenhof, alive with colour!

Panoramic Amsterdam and Canal Cruise

Limited Availability Easy activity

Start this excursion with a revealing coach tour of Amsterdam, passing the Baroque-style Royal Palace on Dam Square (the Queen’s residence when visiting the city), the 550-year old Nieuwe Kerk (New Church) where King Willem Alexander was crowned in 2013, and the fascinating Mint Tower built in 1618 over a medieval gate. Continue on to the Central Railway Station, which was constructed on an artificial island of wooden piles, and the 15th-century Weepers Tower, where the wives of sailors watched their husbands depart for sea. One such sailor was Henry Hudson who discovered Manhatten Island and the Hudson River in 1609. After discovering Amsterdam from land, board a glass-topped canal boat for a one-hour tour through the city’s canals, once the hub of Amsterdam’s commercial life, and lined with houses that were originally workshops and stores. Enjoy the historic landmarks of the city from the water before returning to your ship.

There is approximately 500 yards' walking on this tour from your coach to the pontoon, with around ten steps. The journey to Amsterdam takes approximately one hour each way. Toilet facilities are limited during this excursion. Amsterdam, capital city of the Kingdom of the Netherlands

The Battle of Arnhem

Limited AvailabilityNew Moderate Activity Lunch

Board your coach for a tour that will take you back to the history of the largest Allied airborne operation up to that time, which took place near Nijmegen, Arnhem and the German border - the location of Operation Market Garden in September 1944 and Operation Veritable, the final road to freedom in Europe, in February 1945. During your two-hour drive from the port to the Liberation Museum, a DVD of Operation Market Garden will be shown. The Liberation Museum brings the historical events of the Liberation by Allied troops back to life. Here you re-live the period before the war, experience the Occupation, celebrate the Liberation and witness the rebuilding of the Netherlands and Europe after the war. Interactive presentations, dioramas, models, original films, sounds and smells captivatingly depict the Liberation and show the value and importance of democracy, freedom and human rights. After visiting the museum, continue to a restaurant for lunch. Afterwards visit the Airborne museum, where you can experience the Battle of Arnhem in a modern and very appealing way. The ‘Airborne Experience’ allows you to follow in the footsteps of British parachutists as they make their way to Arnhem in September 1944, and to meet the cheering citizens who had been oppressed by the German occupiers for four long years. This visit will show you that the bridge at Arnhem was ‘a bridge too far’…

There is just under one mile to walk on this tour, with 20 steps at the Liberation Museum and an additional 20 steps at the Airborne Museum. Visit Arnhem's Liberation Museum

Van Gogh Museum and Canal Cruise

Limited AvailabilityNew Moderate Activity

With 1,000 bridges and 60 miles of canals lined with picturesque gabled houses, Amsterdam is a unique and fascinating place to explore. Start your excursion with a scenic drive around the centre of Amsterdam. Enjoy such highlights as the Baroque-style Royal Palace on Dam Square, the Nieuwe Kerk (New church), Mint Tower and the 15th-century Weepers’ Tower. Make a stop to explore the Van Gogh Museum, where you have an independent visit to view the beautiful paintings of one of Holland’s most famous painters. Conclude your tour by embarking on a one-hour tour through the Amsterdam canals aboard a glass-topped canal boat. Pass narrow houses with hoists and cranes - a reminder of the city’s canal-based commercial heritage - historic bridges and other fascinating sights before returning to your ship.

You will need to walk about half-a-mile on this tour, and there are approximately ten steps at your boat pontoon. Walking at the Van Gogh Museum is at your discretion. The journey time to Amsterdam is approximately one hour each way. Take a glass topped boat cruise.

So indeed unfortunately no tours to Haarlem, a city worth to visit. Famous for Frans Hals museum, Teylers museum, windmill at Spaarne river, nice old city center with a beaiftiful church on Grote Markt. Even Mozart played the organ inside that church. Many people also often Corry ten Boom house, a lady that helped many jews during WW2.

Of course Keukenhof is famous, but only open during a few weeks in spring.

All tours can be done from Amsterdam too of course and often easy to do by public transport

Small ships still dock in Amsterdam, like Star Legend just 2 days ago. Also Azamara was here recently.

So indeed unfortunately no tours to Haarlem, a city worth to visit. Famous for Frans Hals museum, Teylers museum, windmill at Spaarne river, nice old city center with a beaiftiful church on Grote Markt. Even Mozart played the organ inside that church. Many people also often Corry ten Boom house, a lady that helped many jews during WW2.

Of course Keukenhof is famous, but only open during a few weeks in spring.

All tours can be done from Amsterdam too of course and often easy to do by public transport

Small ships still dock in Amsterdam, like Star Legend just 2 days ago. Also Azamara was here recently.[/QUOT

Ine,

Of course there are different tours from anywhere. Not all ships do every tour. Small ships can dock in Amsterdam... but if the port needs the space for large ships then the small one will be in Ijmuiden. My point is that is port planning... not in Seattle or anywhere else. For any cruise line... the ports are a request only. It is up to port planning. As more and more ships in the future try to use these ports there will be a shortage space.

Stephen

Last year we were on the Prinsendam from IJmuiden, and on our day between segments we took a bus from the ship terminal for something like ten euros round trip into Haarlem. My only disappointment was that the Ten Boom museum is closed on Sundays, but a block away from it is a cheese shop with the best cheese croissants I've ever eaten. We had lunch on a bench on the square.

In my mind, the arguments that it is less expensive to berth a ship at Ijmuiden rather than Amsterdam are correct.

But, what I saw on the Eurodam, twice in 2013, going through the North Sea Canal's locks with the wind issues, the ship's Master just has to be saying: "Thank you, you Seattle bean counters."

Too bad for us tourists, though: that sail from Amsterdam into the North Sea is one I will not forget.

In my mind, the arguments that it is less expensive to berth a ship at Ijmuiden rather than Amsterdam are correct.

But, what I saw on the Eurodam, twice in 2013, going through the North Sea Canal's locks with the wind issues, the ship's Master just has to be saying: "Thank you, you Seattle bean counters."

Too bad for us tourists, though: that sail from Amsterdam into the North Sea is one I will not forget.

Coming out from the North Sea in a blow it is going 'tricky'... be it into the locks or to the terminal at Ijmuiden. And getting back out again is just as bad.

1998... the REMBRANDT (s.s. ROTTERDAM) came into Rotterdam for the first time since 1972. Two whole days in Rotterdam then to move over to Amsterdam to disembark some passengers and new passengers to join fpor the transatlantic to Southampton, Queenstown and Bermuda to New York. The weather in the North Sea was lousy so the decision was made to keep the REMBRANDT in Rotterdam for an extra day. Yes, it would have been event to be on for that only time too the ship in Amsterdam. Passengers waiting at the terminal to join had to be bussed to Rotterdam. It was still a good few days in Rotterdam.

Ijmuiden as a port of call (not embarkation/disembarkation) may be good for cruise line shore excursion sales, but not that good for the DIYers. Too much time wasted traveling into and back from Amsterdam. It is a pity that the fast flyer hydrofoil stopped operations now that there are cruise ships calling at Felison. I would have hoped for a limited schedule that coordinated with ship's time in Ijmuiden.

Haarlem is a good option as noted by PastyAnne and Ine. But what else?

In addition to cost saving, I thought that HAL's use of Felison might also have been motivated by a show of support for the new terminal in the Netherlands.

Did you sail her when she was the Rembrandt, Stephen? I didn't know that.

How was she, as compared to her previous life? And especially as compared to her last cruise as the Rotterdam! THAT was an experience! ;)

It happens every now and then that ships are diverted to Rotterdam because the winds are too strong to thru the locks at IJmuiden a nice surprise for us. A few weeks ago the MSC Splendida came to visit, but biggest surpris ewas to see the Queen Elizabeth making an unscheduled stop at the most beautiful city in the world.

On topic : IJmuiden is just as boring as Amsterdam.....