Prinsendam inside cabins guaranteed to dissapoint

seashells4

For me, Hlitner sums it up very nicely in post #21. Sailing Prinsendam reminds me very much of cruising on the old Vistafjord and Sagafjord (later Saga Rose and Saga Ruby), small classic (for their time) ships exuding charm and character, yet not without the inevitable small issues related to ships age, difficulty in getting spares, increased vulnerability with regard to mechanical systems, etc. Cruising on these older and small ships brings the experience of what cruising was like in it's heyday prior to the floating Las Vegas experiences so common today. You either accept what comes with older and smaller ships for their charm and "throwback" type cruise experience and love it, or you don't find those values to offset the inconveniences that may arise.

Well said, Dave in NJ. We avoid the Prisendam because we don't like old ships. Had enough of that on the old Noordam in her last year of sailing. However, the P does go to ports that other ships cannot so there's your trade off. There are so many different cruise ships that one really must do their homework before choosing a ship and itinerary. Yay to the OP for letting us know his experience and total respect for those who love the Prisendam. I expect she will not be in HAL's fleet for too many more years.

I fall into the dislike category of passengers and I have no idea why some get riled up over my opinion.

Because you post it ad nauseum, oftentimes more than once in the same thread.

We get it. You don't have to keep hammering us over the head with it.

Well said, Dave in NJ. We avoid the Prisendam because we don't like old ships. Had enough of that on the old Noordam in her last year of sailing. However, the P does go to ports that other ships cannot so there's your trade off. There are so many different cruise ships that one really must do their homework before choosing a ship and itinerary. Yay to the OP for letting us know his experience and total respect for those who love the Prisendam. I expect she will not be in HAL's fleet for too many more years.

We like old ships....we actually liked the old Noordam. It was a strange old ship with a very odd layout, pools that were like big old bathtubs....but we still really liked the ship. Norway was another favorite. People have different likes and dislikes in ships, cars, furniture, clothing etc. That's just being human. I feel I am being perfectly honest and open when I say P'dam isn't spending money on upgrading cabins. People who want new aren't going to like her. I feel the need to speak up when others who don't like her exaggerate her flaws. What someone considers dark, someone else might consider elegant. The point is, future cruisers need honesty. There are people on this list who I consider to be honest, thus calling their opinions trustworthy. You might not like P'dam, because she is old (although the comments about her public areas are totally off the mark--they are still in great condition). Again, if you don't like sailing ships from a bygone era, stay away from her, because you will be disappointed. Maybe....

I find this thread soooo interesting!

It is like politics, not every one will agree?

Can we just move on.

I feel everyone is in titled to a opinion, but come on.

Love or like the old lady Prinesdam or not.

Happy sailings,

Denise:)

There is no other ship in HAL's fleet that generates this much controversy. That is because she is so unique. Like many before have said, those of us who love here, sometimes can't figure out why we put up with her shortcomings, but we do. However, I do think we should be able to discuss her so people considering her will have enough info to make a decision on what works for them. Perhaps people wouldn't come off of her disappointed, or feel they weren't getting enough bang for their buck if they did a search on this site. Why don't you want us to discuss her? You don't have to read the posts. I barely read any CC posts unless they are about P'dam. Who has the time to read everything???

There is no other ship in HAL's fleet that generates this much controversy. That is because she is so unique. Like many before have said, those of us who love here, sometimes can't figure out why we put up with her shortcomings, but we do. However, I do think we should be able to discuss her so people considering her will have enough info to make a decision on what works for them. Perhaps people wouldn't come off of her disappointed, or feel they weren't getting enough bang for their buck if they did a search on this site. Why don't you want us to discuss her? You don't have to read the posts. I barely read any CC posts unless they are about P'dam. Who has the time to read everything???

Well said, LindaM! Thanks for your insightful and helpful comments.

I have done a post to this thread already.

We have sailed on her 3 times, and gave my opinion. I just stated that people will either love her or not, and time to move on, just like other people's opinions.

Happy sailings all.

I have done a post to this thread already.

We have sailed on her 3 times, and gave my opinion. I just stated that people will either love her or not, and time to move on, just like other people's opinions.

Happy sailings all.

My point is, some of us LIKE discussing her and don't want to move on. I would never read or post on CC if it weren't for P'dam! Not to be disrespectful, but I don't think any of us here have the right to tell others to move on....and this is coming from a former teacher who spent 34 years telling people what to do. The only one who can tell us to move on is Walt...when he gets annoyed!

My point is, some of us LIKE discussing her and don't want to move on. I would never read or post on CC if it weren't for P'dam! Not to be disrespectful, but I don't think any of us here have the right to tell others to move on....and this is coming from a former teacher who spent 34 years telling people what to do. The only one who can tell us to move on is Walt...when he gets annoyed!

Well said Linda, and I agree with you 100%. I was not meaning to step on people's toes, and agree in regards to Walt!

As a dentist I also would give advise in regards to how to handel my pts. Treatment plans on educating them in what steps to start with first. If they wanted to move on with treatment or not. That was a good analogy that you gave.

You were not disrespectful to me and gave your opinion.

Linda, I agree with this.

Denise's comments are also appreciated and well intended.

I don't care for the sentiment that non fans of the Prinsendam are on some kind of a post count. Threads go in different directions and I certainly can repost, respond or elaborate on the discussion.

I've moved on from the Prinsendam, my mistake, my bad. But I will continue to give the opposing viewpoint to keep the discussion fair and balanced. Just like Fox TV.

Personally I like hearing good and bad. That way I can take the info away that I want. I'm the first one to admit I like new ships so I don't think I'd be thrilled with the prinsendam. I don't think there is anything wrong with that or that somehow I'm a bad traveler. At some point I would like to take the Amazon cruise that's offered on this ship but it doesn't look like it will happen anytime soon. I do enjoy hearing which cabins may be better than others.

Guaranteed to disappoint??? Absolutely NOT. For some, yes - it will disappoint, but for some it will not, particularly if one follows CC on such topics.

Yes the inside cabin we had on the P'dam was small! But, I was prepared for the smaller size and loved it in its own way. If I take an inside cabin I DO NOT plan to spend much time in the cabin! In fact, unless I have a veranda I do not spend much time in the cabin. That said, we were perfectly happy with the P'dam inside cabin for an approx. 2 month cruise, when we had the beds in the "L" shape configuration. Together as a "queen?" it made the room seem so very much smaller and more crowded IMHO. I much prefer the "L" configuration when it comes to P'dam inside cabins.

The folks who had the cabin with whom we shared the "entry way" kept the beds together and the cabin looked so much smaller to me, but not to them. To compound the space issue, they interestingly bought some big items in West Africa, like a chair for their home, a small dresser and a small table. They fit ALL of this in their cabin PLUS two large boxes of smaller items by the time we got to Florida. (They could drive to the port and had arranged to rent a u-haul truck to take their stuff stuff home.) Then, to top is off they purchased a "Long shaft" outboard motor in South America which also was kept in their cabin. Seeing the cabin one day as we neared the end of the cruise I suspect they had to walk on the bed and their purchases to get to the bathroom and closet. It would have driven me crazy but they were not phased in the least. They loved the whole experience, all approx. two months of it.

So while I agree with the OP about "small" I could do it again. Our cabin neighbors would do it again without hesitation. Others find them unbearably small. Is it not great to have such varied folks in the world!!!!

Edited by wander

Guaranteed to disappoint??? Absolutely NOT. For some, yes - it will disappoint, but for some it will not, particularly if one follows CC on such topics.

Yes the inside cabin we had on the P'dam was small! But, I was prepared for the smaller size and loved it in its own way. If I take an inside cabin I DO NOT plan to spend much time in the cabin! In fact, unless I have a veranda I do not spend much time in the cabin. That said, we were perfectly happy with the P'dam inside cabin for an approx. 2 month cruise, when we had the beds in the "L" shape configuration. Together as a "queen?" it made the room seem so very much smaller and more crowded IMHO. I much prefer the "L" configuration when it comes to P'dam inside cabins.

The folks who had the cabin with whom we shared the "entry way" kept the beds together and the cabin looked so much smaller to me, but not to them. To compound the space issue, they interestingly bought some big items in West Africa, like a chair for their home, a small dresser and a small table. They fit ALL of this in their cabin PLUS two large boxes of smaller items by the time we got to Florida. (They could drive to the port and had arranged to rent a u-haul truck to take their stuff stuff home.) Then, to top is off they purchased a "Long shaft" outboard motor in South America which also was kept in their cabin. Seeing the cabin one day as we neared the end of the cruise I suspect they had to walk on the bed and their purchases to get to the bathroom and closet. It would have driven me crazy but they were not phased in the least. They loved the whole experience, all approx. two months of it.

So while I agree with the OP about "small" I could do it again. Our cabin neighbors would do it again without hesitation. Others find them unbearably small. Is it not great to have such varied folks in the world!!!!

What a crazy story! That would drive me nuts. I bet the cabin steward wasn't impressed:D.

The Prinsendam inside cabins are not functional for daytime use.

The bedroom area is TINY because the oversized bathroom and walk in closet occupy fully half the cabin square footage.

The cabins are uncomfortable, poorly configured, very dimly lit and really only useful as a place to sleep. All inside cabins are the same no matter which category or location on the ship.

There is absolutely nowhere to sit comfortably to read, relax, watch TV etc. The lighting is so poor that reading is impossible even with every light on in the cabin. They were unwilling/ unable to improve the lighting.

There is no desk, no table, no comfortable seating in the cabin. There is a small chair that is always in the way. Your room service tray will have to be placed on the bed and that is how you will eat.

The inside cabin experience was a HUGE disappointment on this ship. I am an experienced cruiser, having sailed with many different lines on many different ships. I have never had a worse cabin in the 50+ cruises I have been on.

I had the cabin to myself, having paid the single supplement. I can't imagine how 2 people could possibly manage.

I wish I had had an opportunity to read this review before I booked my inside cabin on the Prinsendam !!!!!!!

The PRINSENDAM'S original 25 inside cabins were designed for the ship when she was building as the ROYAL VIKING SUN as SINGLES only and averaged only 125 square feet (no matter what subsequent marketing says about their size.) That 125 square feet includes bathroom and walk-in closet. While occupying a suite when it was the ROYAL VIKING SUN we saw a few inside cabins and wondered how one person could comfortably enjoy such a cabin. I concur in your assessment of layout, lighting, lack of seating, lack of comfort, etc. The new insides on Deck 8 are probably slightly bigger but I don't know what size those new inside cabins are, don't care...I don't like her enough to know nor do we book insides.

was a major disappointment for us. The layout was dumb as the small couch was on one side of the bed and the chair on another and no hooks to hang your robes or clothes while dressing.

What's the problem with the chair and loveseat on opposite sides of the bed???

cruz chic,

I am sure you are right - doubt they even tried except perhaps for the bathroom. Hopefully they could get in there. They frequently left their door open when they were in the room and resting on the bed. This is why I got so many looks into the cabin.

They were very, very nice and interesting folks but NOT typical of folks who cruise. I spent a lot of time talking with them on deck. This was their first cruise and they enjoyed every minute of in in their own way.

Edited by wander

Sea-Bands, What a "lovely" reply. (was it really necessary? The title already established the answer.)

Sorry you were so unhappy with a ship that makes many quite happy and others not so happy. For someone considering the P'dam for a first time, but both perspectives are useful as the ship is not for everyone.

While the P'dam overall is not my favorite HAL ship, it is my favorite passenger compliment size of the HAL ships. However, I realize times are changing and I try to change with them and enjoy the bigger ships to cruise more versus smaller ships to cruise less but in a size I enjoy the most.

Edited by wander