Veendam and Maasdam share Bar Harbor on Friday

St Pete Cruiser

In checking on the Veendam's Voyage of the Viking returning to the US, noticed the Maasdam was right behind her on the way to Bar Harbor. This will bring the two "surviving S class" together in port tomorrow. I hope someone will post a picture of them together. With the Statendam headed to Singapore next month (looks like her final cruise is sold out) and the Ryndam also via the Suez to the same place for drydock and conversion to their new company, the two in Bar Harbor will be it. When you look at brochures and nearly everything HAL has printed or posted the last 20 years, you will see one of the "S class" ships! They were well done and will be missed by many of us.

There are times the CBP Inspection creeps along and there is nothing anyone can do about it. There have been times in Bar Harbor when it moved quickly and other times, some had to leave the line as they could not stand that long.

It's a beautiful day so worth the time it will take to get ashore in Bar Harbor. I always enjoy that port.

My apologies. I have some great pictures, but I cannot upload them from my phone to SmugMug, and they are too large to upload directly into this post, so I have to wait until we get home to the "real" computer.

The inspection moved rapidly once the CBP folks made it to the ship, which was about 25 minutes late.

The two ships were anchored far away from each other, and the only way I could get a picture of both of them was to shoot from the little tour boat that took us to view lighthouses. Some of these pictures won't be so clear, as they were taken while bouncing through the water at 35 MPH, or at least it felt like it. From downtown, we could see only the Maasdam.

Veendam and Maasdam from the excursion boat:

20150828_123742-Xedited-M.jpg

To give you a better idea how far apart the ships were anchored:

20150828_123836-Xedited-M.jpg

The Veendam (I think):

20150828_124201_002-Xedited-M.jpg

The Maasdam:

20150828_124135-Xedited-M.jpg

Edited by Cruise_More_Often

Lovely pictures, thank you for posting them. It was one of the nicer days this summer, with sunny sky, warm temperatures, and lower humidity.

Yes, the ship that you think is the Veendam sure looks like it to me, too. Check that stern and the hangover decks above the dining room.

It did look like a nice day in Bar Harbor.

Would have been nice to have seen them closer together. I was there last year in May on the repositioning cruise from Ft Lauderdale to Montreal aboard Maasdam; it was the last nice day weather wise we had until Quebec. Bar Harbor merchants seem to view the Maasdam as my mother did the robins...a sign of the coming of spring. With the Maasdam going to Alaska next spring and then to Australia, this may very well be its swan song in New England and the Maritimes.

I'm glad you are enjoying the photos. It just dawned on me that the Veendam was in port with the Maasdam in Halifax as well, so here are three more photos.

Taken from the last cabin (220) on the Verandah Deck, looking at the Veendam and Carnival Splendor at their docks:

20150827_160626-edited-M.jpg

Veendam following Maasdam out of Halifax Harbor. She's the tiny dot in the distance:

20150827_162144-edited-M.jpg

Veendam, passing Maasdam as they head to Bar Harbor:

20150827_175419-edited-M.jpg