A question for Topsham

AV8rix

Captain Card,

Would you know if there is a curator of artifacts (or some similar title) in the HAL corporation?

I am assuming that when a ship is retired, transferred to a new operator, scuttled, or whatever, the beautiful and priceless artifacts are removed and retained by HAL, to be later displayed on a new ship.

Ryndam is now on her last voyage as a Holland America ship. On her lower promenade deck is a beautiful model of a gaff-rigged ketch. However, the plaque mistakenly identifies the rigging as a schooner. When I first saw it, it really “jangled” me. I didn’t expect to see a gross nautical error on a HAL ship.

If there is such a personage as a curator of artifacts, I assume he or she is the one who determines the wording on the gold plaques that are mounted beside all of the displays of artifacts on the ships. I’d like to contact that person to have him or her take a look at that model when it is removed from Ryndam. The curator can then consult any book on nomenclature of rigging of sailing vessels, determine the correct identification of the rigging, and use that when the model is displayed on a new ship.

Thanks in advance,

We were on the Statendam a few weeks ago and Capt. Albert was on for part of the time. Someone said he was making an inventory of all the art work and artifacts. Don't know if this was true or not. He gave a lecture and is incredibly knowledgable in both naval and HAL history. Perhaps he can shed light on the model in question.

Captain Card,

Would you know if there is a curator of artifacts (or some similar title) in the HAL corporation?

I am assuming that when a ship is retired, transferred to a new operator, scuttled, or whatever, the beautiful and priceless artifacts are removed and retained by HAL, to be later displayed on a new ship.

Ryndam is now on her last voyage as a Holland America ship. On her lower promenade deck is a beautiful model of a gaff-rigged ketch. However, the plaque mistakenly identifies the rigging as a schooner. When I first saw it, it really “jangled” me. I didn’t expect to see a gross nautical error on a HAL ship.

If there is such a personage as a curator of artifacts, I assume he or she is the one who determines the wording on the gold plaques that are mounted beside all of the displays of artifacts on the ships. I’d like to contact that person to have him or her take a look at that model when it is removed from Ryndam. The curator can then consult any book on nomenclature of rigging of sailing vessels, determine the correct identification of the rigging, and use that when the model is displayed on a new ship.

Thanks in advance,

Capt. Albert Schoonderbeek is a longtime HAL captain who posts to the HAL blog as Capt. Albert, and he's very interested in HAL's history. He co-authored HAL's official history. He's on vacation now but a comment on one of his posts when he gets back would be passed to the right person.

His current job is moving from ship to ship to hold training classes but he was for years captain of the Statendam. Some time ago he blogged about doing a thorough assessment onboard the Statendam of HAL artifacts and HAL artworks to assist in the determination of what should or could be removed. Surely the same would have been done on Ryndam and that definitely sounds like something HAL would have removed and kept.

It wasn't quite such a technical error, but on my first Nieuw Amsterdam cruise I noticed in the Crow's Nest that one of the models of an older Nieuw Amsterdam had been mislabelled. I think it was a model of Nieuw Amsterdam II, but was labelled as Nieuw Amsterdam I.

I told the cruise director, who seemed to take it seriously. And clearly he and HAL did, because by the time I was next on Nieuw Amsterdam (about 9 months later), the label had been corrected.

So clearly there are ways of getting this type of thing sorted out.

Captain Card,

Thanks in advance,

When we were on Ryndam two weeks ago, I asked the captain what will happen to the art and memorabilia on board when she goes to P&O. He said that most of the things will be either be reused on board new ships, or stay on board. In fact, some art may already be removed from the ship when they dock in Venice on her way to the new owner, since Venice is close by the yard where Koningsdam is being built!

I am assuming that the paintings of the (former) Ryndam’s, will stay in stock until there will be a new Ryndam.

Interiors on almost all of the HAL fleet was done by Principal Designer Franz Dingemans of 'VFD' in Netherlands. He also has an art team to work with him to put the art collection together. There is quite an impressive team. They bring in artists, sculptors etc... you name it. They also have an antique expert to help also. One of the part of the job is 'signage'. Once in a while someone will slip up and make a mistake and may go many years before it is spotted and corrected. Once in a while a passenger will see something and cause a fit. Oops. It does happen. If an error is spotted and it is given to someone higher up... it may eventually end up on a 'work list' and when the ship back in drydock... it may well be corrected.

On to the 'gaff-ketch'.... or a 'schooner'.... can you please send a photo o the model. I don't remember the piece.

Captain Schoonderbeek has been on board making the art list for the RYNDAM and possibly the STATENDAM also. Back in 1995 I had the same job on board the old ROTTERDAM V. I was a passenger on board and we were sailing after the Christmas cruise and heading up from Lauderdale to New York. Two day, not too many passengers. I had a message from Carnival Shipbuilding (overall in charge of shipbuilding in the Carnival Corporation... all ships, HAL, Cunard, Costs etc) Anyhow, they asked my if I would make up the list of art on board. Bitter sweet job. It was the first hint that.. the ROTTERDAM might be up for sale.

Art on board comes between two headings. It might be art that is specifically HAL related... such as HAL paintings, HAL ship models, memorabilia. These items will be but in storage for future HAL use. The rest of the art... if not wanted by any new owner will stay with the ship. In the old ROTTERDAM there was very little on board that was HAL related... when the ship went to Premier and become REMBRANDT. Almost 99% of the art stayed on the ship... and is still there... as hotel De Rotterdam.

I do not know where most of the art collection from the STATENDAM and RYNDAM where will go. Some thing will stay on board... the rest will have be put into storage....used on another ship.... or might be sold at auction. Sad, but that is what happens to art collections. A large part of HAL art ended up at the Prins Hendrik Maritime Museum in Rotterdam. I've have seen a large part of the collection. Best museum you can ever want to see!!!!

From my own part... my paintings on board STATENDAM and RYNDAM 5 paintings from the first ship and then 3 painting from the other. These paintings are going to the KONINGSDAM. Now what happens to these pieces in the future if there is another STATENDAM or RYNDAM... who knows?

I can let you know that I am hard at work... on two new large paintings for the KONINGSDAM. You will have to wait until the maiden voyage to see the paintings. Be careful, signage may just say "WET PAINT"!!!!!

Stephen

Thoughts on the three paintings from the RYNDAM. I have not seen the paintings since the maiden voyage in 1994! For some reason.... I just never seem to get the ship in the right place. Shame. Miss her now for sure!

No 1. RYNDAM outbound from Plymouth Sound. Plymouth was the UK call for a lot of HAL passengers. The ship would anchor in the Sound and passengers would be brought ashore by one of the large tenders of the Great Western Railways. From the ship, tender into Millbay Dock... then direct to Paddington on GWR train. Six or seven hours... and you could be in London. Much faster that calling at Southampton. My only interest in Plymouth? Well, from 1987 to 1990 I lived in Plymouth. Great place... and a beautiful place. So.... if you look at the hill behind of the stern of the RYNDAM.... that is my house. ;-)

No. 2. One of my favourites. A lot of work on this one... took ages... I remember about six or seven weeks. It started off showing the scene of RYNDAM outbound from the Upper Bay.... at night. Rising full moon... all the lights on the city and the ships. I had worked on it for about two weeks and I was not happy. Just did not seem to wok as I had hoped... and panic... a lot of work for nothing! I sanded off a lot of the work... was able to keep most of the drawing. So... it became a Noon departure! Much better. Lovely little RYNDAM. Th other interest... the ship at right... arriving is the Italia CONTE BIANCAMANO. I could have painted any NY liner in the scene but I went for the CONTE... with a good reason. The head of Carnival Corporate Shipbuilding was Captain Vittorio Fabietti. In the years working on the HAL paintings my contact was through Captain Fabietti... of course I worked with HAL but the main contact was through Fabietti. So, I decided to put one of his old ships, the CONTE BIANCAMANO. When a new collection was finished I would send a set of photographs to Corporate Shipbuilding... and an Invoice.

;-) The secretary know what this was about. She handed the three photographs to Captain Fabietti and said... "Here are the new paintings from Stephen." He immediately saw the middle photo and went right to the CONTE BIANCAMANO. He went about telling everyone.... "That was MY ship!"

No. 3. Well... pretty standard portrait of the new ships.... shown in Alaska fjords. To give a bit of scale to the mountains I included the old NOORDAM. Worked out just right. On the maiden voyage on RYNDAM I was looking at the painting on the stairwell and one of the 3rd Officers saw at the painting and pointed at the NOORDAM. (You have to know that soon before time the NOORDAM had been in collision with a Greek ship down in the Mississippi.) So, the 3rd Officer pointed at NOORDAM and said.... "Ah! The NOORDAMAGE!" (The 3rd is still with HAL... now Staff Captain.... no he was not on the collision!)

Just old stories. Will be good to see these paintings in the KONINGSDAM.

1143922445_RYNDAM1CC.jpg.29957c7a98afe7cce3fd12a164acce04.jpg

1999978371_RYNDAM2CC.jpg.d7cd317b607d31b8e7c6adc5d5b34389.jpg

548739054_RYNDAM3CC.jpg.d4565c2a6eddfa0dd7ae13326b558144.jpg

Stephen,

Thanks for all the information. We were on your Boston to Bermuda trip in May and so enjoyed all the information you gave us at the M & G. It was wonderful to meet the person who has painted so many lovely pictures of the Dam ships. We will be on the Koningsdam in July and look forward to seeing your newest paintings there. Lauri

Captain Card,

Thanks in advance,

I was just on the P&O Australia site( the co. within HAL that is transfering Ryndam and Statendam) to become Pacific Aria and Pacific Eden. They say they are an informal line with no formal nights. They have a virtual reality site of the refurbished ships and they look very sleek and modern inside. Both will be ready in less than 90 days! NO HAL ARTWORK INSIDE!

Thoughts on the three paintings from the RYNDAM. I have not seen the paintings since the maiden voyage in 1994! For some reason.... I just never seem to get the ship in the right place. Shame. Miss her now for sure!

No 1. RYNDAM outbound from Plymouth Sound. Plymouth was the UK call for a lot of HAL passengers. The ship would anchor in the Sound and passengers would be brought ashore by one of the large tenders of the Great Western Railways. From the ship, tender into Millbay Dock... then direct to Paddington on GWR train. Six or seven hours... and you could be in London. Much faster that calling at Southampton. My only interest in Plymouth? Well, from 1987 to 1990 I lived in Plymouth. Great place... and a beautiful place. So.... if you look at the hill behind of the stern of the RYNDAM.... that is my house. ;-)

No. 2. One of my favourites. A lot of work on this one... took ages... I remember about six or seven weeks. It started off showing the scene of RYNDAM outbound from the Upper Bay.... at night. Rising full moon... all the lights on the city and the ships. I had worked on it for about two weeks and I was not happy. Just did not seem to wok as I had hoped... and panic... a lot of work for nothing! I sanded off a lot of the work... was able to keep most of the drawing. So... it became a Noon departure! Much better. Lovely little RYNDAM. Th other interest... the ship at right... arriving is the Italia CONTE BIANCAMANO. I could have painted any NY liner in the scene but I went for the CONTE... with a good reason. The head of Carnival Corporate Shipbuilding was Captain Vittorio Fabietti. In the years working on the HAL paintings my contact was through Captain Fabietti... of course I worked with HAL but the main contact was through Fabietti. So, I decided to put one of his old ships, the CONTE BIANCAMANO. When a new collection was finished I would send a set of photographs to Corporate Shipbuilding... and an Invoice.

;-) The secretary know what this was about. She handed the three photographs to Captain Fabietti and said... "Here are the new paintings from Stephen." He immediately saw the middle photo and went right to the CONTE BIANCAMANO. He went about telling everyone.... "That was MY ship!"

No. 3. Well... pretty standard portrait of the new ships.... shown in Alaska fjords. To give a bit of scale to the mountains I included the old NOORDAM. Worked out just right. On the maiden voyage on RYNDAM I was looking at the painting on the stairwell and one of the 3rd Officers saw at the painting and pointed at the NOORDAM. (You have to know that soon before time the NOORDAM had been in collision with a Greek ship down in the Mississippi.) So, the 3rd Officer pointed at NOORDAM and said.... "Ah! The NOORDAMAGE!" (The 3rd is still with HAL... now Staff Captain.... no he was not on the collision!)

Great stories. I'm fortunate to have framed prints of No. 2 and No. 3. So interesting how the Conte Biancamano got into No. 2.

Dan

Once in a while a passenger will see something and cause a fit.
Blimey! I hope I didn't cause anyone a fit. The CD and I actually had a good laugh about it, but (as I said) he obviously took it as seriously as he seemed to. I wasn't expecting the problem to get fixed as fast as it was, although it was only coincidence that I was back on the ship again so quickly.

Blimey! I hope I didn't cause anyone a fit. The CD and I actually had a good laugh about it, but (as I said) he obviously took it as seriously as he seemed to. I wasn't expecting the problem to get fixed as fast as it was, although it was only coincidence that I was back on the ship again so quickly.

Excellent. Did you expect it wouldn't be fixed? :)

I was just on the P&O Australia site( the co. within HAL that is transfering Ryndam and Statendam) to become Pacific Aria and Pacific Eden. They say they are an informal line with no formal nights. They have a virtual reality site of the refurbished ships and they look very sleek and modern inside. Both will be ready in less than 90 days! NO HAL ARTWORK INSIDE!

I am not surprised. HAL have a large collection from the two ships that are leaving the fleet I'm sure the style on the KONINGSDAM will be different than the ships that we know. I can see some of the work coming over to KODM... we will have to wait and see.

As far as the PACIFIC EDEN and PACIFIC ARIA.... completely different from their HAL days... but the virtual reality site... it looks rather good. Long life to SADM and RYDM!

Stephen

Wonderful stories, Stephen. Thanks for sharing with us. :)

Happy to hear you are hard at work painting for Koningsdam. More of your beautiful work for us to look forward to enjoying.

Thanks S7S.

The next one up will be a winner! If not I will have to scrap and get rid of that 'idea'!

Stephen

I will be looking out for them during our Koningsdam april 8th cruise, indeed the paint maybe wet for the new one(s)!

I shot some footage on our Ryndam cruise earlier this month, especially from the paintings which I usually do on board. Nice to remember them by.

Again, the captain assured us that the art won’t be wasted, either relocated to Koningsdam, or staying on board. Maybe the impressions on-line of the how the P&O Aria will look, are not that detailed and some original items will be included in the redesign.