Yes or No? Combining Repeater Programs?

sail7seas

Another thread got me thinking to ask:

Do you think the Carnival Family of Ships should combine their Repeater Cruiser Program and give credit for all days sailed on each cruise line for the program on all the cruise lines?

Why?

Why Not?

I see a lot of traps in doing so but interested what others think.

Hotels like Hilton and Marriott do it for the whole portfolio, but you have to earn your benefits every year. Since each cruise line is operating as a standalone brand, often in competition with the other Carnival brands, it probably doesn't make as much sense.

No. I've been reading that Carnival Corp. is working on some kind of reciprocity program between the cruise lines. I don't want it to be one huge program because I think the benefits will likely be diluted if there's so many people participating. Right now, on Princess, it seems like the majority of people are Elite (esp. since they introduced short cruises) and it causes extra wait time for laundry, for example. It's only going to get worse. I'm not complaining, though, because I'm grateful for those amenities. Just saying. I wouldn't mind some minor reciprocity, but I'm afraid what they might do. One of the cruise lines requires "x" amount of cruise days per year to stay in top loyalty tier. Many of us may not be able to do that.

I think there should be some level of recognition; a mild set of perks or discounts perhaps. I don't think it should be equal amongst all lines or you run the risk of ticking off loyalists. But I don't think some basic level of perks for sailing a line under the same umbrella would be out of line and probably would be welcomed by all.

I believe that having each line do their only loyalty program does impact loyalty in that if the customer is well satisfied with the quality of service, the ship, and the itinerary the customer will remain loyal and the loyalty will prove to be a true incentive to book with the company they are familiar with. If the customer tends to believe that the service, ship or itinerary is lacking there is a tendency try something different. By offering a CCL incentive program which recognizes all the companies perhaps CCl could limit drifting to non CCL companies. A lot of people would be happier if it was a company wide program as they would reach higher benefit levels sooner. This I believe leads to even a greater desire to cruise. Silly or not my wife very much looks forward to the free laundry service. I like the idea of taking grandkids along at a reduced rate. What kills loyalty to me is when all the companies are the same and there is no appreciable difference in service or quality. To me Holland America has hurt its brand when it has gone willie nillie along and reduced service or public space in order to to be more like Carnival. I truly believe there was more pride in the Holland America of yesterday than exist today.

For newer cruisers, it is probably an incentive but for those of us who are at the highest level on both HAL and Princess, it is of no benefit. As others have said, so many people are Elite on Princess there are long waits for laundry and also for priority boarding at tender ports and crowding in the departure lounges. In our case, these are the only two Carnival lines we sail so it would not be an incentive to go on the other lines.

I think it would make sense in the future between HAL and Seabourn. At some point the Prinsendam will be gone and those who want a smaller ship will then have to look at Seabourn, Oceania, Viking Ocean. Without a transfer of HAL status, there would be no incentive to pick Seabourn over the others.

No need to combine the programs.

HAL already has a recognition that you have sailed sister lines by calling you a Mariner, letting you in to the embarkation lunch, and inviting you to the Mariners' Brunch even when you have never set foot on a HAL ship before.

Other lines could offer a little something, too.

But to combine more substantial benefits? That would only serve to dilute the benefits those of us who worked our way up the hard way earned. Our benefits are already diluted somewhat by counting the "Bonus" days, where someone can actually get credit of 3 days for every day sailed.

If I want perqs on other lines, let me start at the beginning and earn them.

No need to combine the programs.

HAL already has a recognition that you have sailed sister lines by calling you a Mariner, letting you in to the embarkation lunch, and inviting you to the Mariners' Brunch even when you have never set foot on a HAL ship before.

How does one secure those benefits? Provide your past guest number from another line under the corporate umbrella when booking?

On one hand I like the idea, as it would cause me to consider trying new CCL lines.

On the other hand, I do not like the idea, as I am sure that it would result in reduced benefits on each line, due to the much greater number of people qualifying.

I saw this happen when Caesars bought out Harrahs. Harrahs had some great deals for its "better" players and we certainly enjoyed them. But soon after, the VIP room got over crowded and they had to restrict how many guests you could bring with you. Then they increased the amount of play you had to give them yearly to qualify. Then they cut back on the hours and food service. In the end, it killed a nice deal for us and we gave up on them.

So, I will vote NO on this option - I am happy staying just with HAL.

But to combine more substantial benefits? That would only serve to dilute the benefits those of us who worked our way up the hard way earned. Our benefits are already diluted somewhat by counting the "Bonus" days, where someone can actually get credit of 3 days for every day sailed.

How is it possible to get credit for 3 days for every day sailed? I know one can get double days for a Suite and 1 day for each $300 spent onboard. Are the 3 days based on being in a Suite plus spending an average of $300 each day onboard?

Edited by qsuzi

All of our non-HAL points are with Celebrity, so it's a bit of a non-issue for us. In general, though, I think that loyalty programs are probably better restricted to a specific line rather than shared across the full family of lines.

How is it possible to get credit for 3 days for every day sailed? I know one can get double days for a Suite and 1 day for each $300 spent onboard. Are the 3 days based on being in a Suite plus spending an average of $300 each day onboard?

See, you thought it through perfectly.

We are itinerary driven and most of the time take the longer and more costly journeys in a lower cabin (outside view or balcony but usually not inside and never suites). I have middle to high status on several of each company's different lines. I travel for various reasons -- grandkids it's Disney or RCCL. exotic destinations HAL, Oceania and Azamara, Princess, and very many little eco-type cruises, river cruises etc. The only perks I really care about are the free Wi-Fi minutes and possibly laundry. I buy a soda card and don't drink alcohol so those perks don't help.

The perks do not matter so much to me unless both lines or companies have similar itineraries and then could be a tie-breaker. Might stay with one overall company if all cruises counted. I enjoy the loyalty recognition but not a deal breaker. My problem with loyalty is NOT loyal -- each trip has a reason.:D

I love the idea because I would like to try Princess and, as a HAL 5 star, would love to have the Princess rewards at that level.

Unfortunately, Princess has some very good itineraries that I really want to do and HAL doesn't have anything close. To have a reciprocity/combined program would be good for me personally.

However, this is a messy, tricky thing to do and would likely be horrendous for HAL. They have enough problems just getting the rewards and billing figured out now..........add more pax at higher levels..........! And, it would very likely water down the programs.