Veendam scores 100!

3rdGenCunarder

I'm on Veendam, in Portland. Yesterday the captain proudly announced that we'd had a surprise inspection by the CDC and the ship scored 100. Since the inspection almost certainly included the Lido at lunchtime, I guess that means the premade sandwiches are OK by CDC standards. The captain did say that one of the comments was that they were impressed by the staff's knowledge of food safety.

I don't want to use a lot of internet time, so I'll add something pertinent to another thread. HAL is SERIOUS about the alcohol policy. It appears on the page when you print your boarding passes. And they check those bottles first thing at the security line. Yesterday, we got to the pier early, and went right up to the upper floor, where the first thing was security. I told the security guy at the x-ray that the totebag contained wine, because I wanted it handled carefully, he asked me right away how many bottles. I said two, I know the rules. Then he snatched if off the belt and as soon as I walked through the metal detector, he led me to the table where my cabin number was written down. The look at the bottles was cursory, but champagne tops are pretty obvious. Meanwhile, DH was left to collect my carry-ons because I was busy at the booze table.

Anyway, no biggie, I know the rules and I wasn't sneaking anything. I was just impressed with how seriously they are enforcing this.

And thank you to posters who assured me embarkation in Boston is easy. I like that they get you through the line quickly and then you can sit. DH can walk for miles, but standing isn't good for him.

One funny thing. As we approached the snake line to get to the check-in counters, a greeter asked us how many "Marriott stars" we have. I thought what does Marriott have to do with this? Was there a merger I hadn't heard about???? Then I realized she meant MARINER stars. I confessed to only 3, and we went in the regular line. It hardly mattered, there was no waiting in either line because we were quite early.

So far it's all good. Gala night tonight. I shall take notes and report later!

Thanks for checking in, Kathy. Nice to know that embarkation went well for you. I remember you were concerned, and your DH wasn't keen on using a wheelchair.

So happy for the crew of Veendam on getting that great score!

Congrats! Guess there's a party in their future. :D

Wow, CDC score of 100. That is fantastic. And your good report of the crew's concern for food safety too. Don't blame them at all, because NO BODY likes a code red. Much more work for them and lots of hassle for the rest of us too. Ship sanitation is everyone's concern, at every level. Food handling and passengers handling food. Or anything else they stick into their eyes, mouths or noses.

Thanks so much for sharing the great news about Veendam's USPH Inspection earning a perfect 100 score. So happy for the Officers/Crew/Staff to be rewarded in this way for their hard work. Hope Captain agrees to a great party for them to celebrate. :)

VERY happy your embarkation went easily. I've boarded in Boston a number of times and it has always gone quickly and smoothly.

Enjoy your cruise!!!

Link to other HAL ships also scoring 100 on the CDC ship sanitation inspection list:

http://wwwn.cdc.gov/inspectionquerytool/Inspectionwith100Score.aspx

Way to go, HAL. This is a nice inter-ship rivalry to have.

Here is the list of all the also-rans besides the top 100 scorers - boo, hoo the Amsterdam only scored 99! Some surprises in the lower scores - luxury lines in the 80's?

http://wwwn.cdc.gov/inspectionquerytool/InspectionGreenSheetRpt.aspx

Edited by OlsSalt

Was the 100 score announced or celebrated onboard in any way during your cruise?

3rdGenCunarder

I'm on Veendam, in Portland. Yesterday the captain proudly announced that we'd had a surprise inspection by the CDC and the ship scored 100. Since the inspection almost certainly included the Lido at lunchtime, I guess that means the premade sandwiches are OK by CDC standards. The captain did say that one of the comments was that they were impressed by the staff's knowledge of food safety.

<snip>

The OP wrote, in her opening post, the Captain proudly announced it.

I'm sure there was lots of applauding, hooting and hollering by the guests when they learned about it. :) (as well there should be.)

Edited by sail7seas

Glad the Veendam scored 100

I was on the Veendam in Nov 2014 and than again in February on the Panama Canal cruise. Both times I picked up nasty bugs and I had a flu shoot.

In November I ended up with Pneoumonia. The Panama Cruise I ended up with the worst sinus infection I have ever had even had to have prednisone.

Never had a problem with Noro virus.

I am retired and volunteer at the local Senior Center. A friend that I volunteer with just returned from a Canada New England cruise and reported the service was wonderful and she did not get sick.

My doctor doesn't want me cruising for awhile because the last two that were three months apart, I ended up in her office with antibiotics.