Regent pier in LA

Does anyone know what port regent departs from in LA. We are booked on Explorer LA to Miami next January. We are looking for a pre cruise hotel. I believe there is more than one departure area in LA. I recall an LA departure many years ago that was in Longbeach that was a petty long haul.

The ships normally dock in San Pedro.

As far as a hotel is concerned, there was a thread recently discussing that subject (I hope it was in this forum!) and although I don't remember the details, San Pedro was not high on people's list. I'm sure someone will help soon.

Peggy

Edited by xrvlcruiser

I expect the port will be San Pedro because that is where we boarded Oceania's Insignia last June for a Panama Canal transit. We spent four days in LA prior to departure and took Uber to the pier. Unless things have changed, there is nothing to detain the traveler in San Pedro. We were scheduled to board at 11:00, so we lunched on the ship. Perhaps in the last year some amenity has been added. Since it is a commercial port, there must be hotels somewhere. We like Intercontinentals, so that's where we stayed in LA. If you are going to be just one day early, there might be an acceptable hotel nearby.

Mary

Your cruise leaves from the Port of Los Angeles, Berth B93 at the World Cruise Center in San Pedro. The Explorer will be the only ship in port. (See, https://www.portsamerica.com/cruise/los-angeles-terminal.html.). The Ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach are next to each other but are separate entities.

There are two hotels in San Pedro that are used by some cruisers: The Crowne Plaza and the Doubletree. Personally, I would stay in Long Beach which has a better selection of hotels and restaurants. You could also stay on the Queen Mary for a taste of an old cruising style before getting on the Explorer. :D

Hope this helps.

Edited by DaveFr

Ritz Carlton, Marina Del Ray is a lovely hotel for precruise. it's about 5 or 6 miles from LAX and 20 or so miles from San Pedro.

Agree that Marina Del Rey is lovely (if you have transportation to get there). Having been raised in the Los Angeles area, I must say that San Pedro offers absolutely nothing to anyone. As most of L.A., it is the pits! Just my not so humble opinion.

If you are staying only one night, then the QM might be okay.

There are a number of branded hotels in Downtown Long Beach - Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott and Westin.

Marina del rey if you have a car other wise the hotel would be your destination. Walking to Venice Beach is possible but only a daytime activity. It's can be dicey there although I do like to walk the boardwalk sometimes to people watch.

If you are staying more than one night and want to be entertained within walking distance, then the Sheraton Miramar or the JW Marriott, or Casa del Mar in Santa Monica are all great. Of course there is also Beverly Hills which has the Hilton and the Montage are good choices.

One alternative if you are not adverse to driving here is to rent a car from Enterprise at the airport. You can return it to the San Pedro office. If you do that, One of you drop your luggage at the ship and stay with it and the other can take the car back - Enterprise will drive you back.

Edited by ChatKat in Ca.

One alternative if you are not adverse to driving here is to rent a car from Enterprise at the airport. You can return it to the San Pedro office. If you do that, One of you drop your luggage at the ship and stay with it and the other can take the car back - Enterprise will drive you back.

I did the rental car route for my last trip with Mom on a different line. I used Hertz. And was able to walk back to the ship. Key issue is that Hertz office in San Pedro had limited hours (not open Sunday I think).

Mom did stay in the Crowne Plaza and it was pretty nice. We found several good restaurants in the area. If all you are doing is getting they a day or two early, I'd have no problems to recommend someone stay in San Pedro.

If you are staying only one night, then the QM might be okay.

Marina del rey if you have a car other wise the hotel would be your destination. Walking to Venice Beach is possible but only a daytime activity. It's can be dicey there although I do like to walk the boardwalk sometimes to people watch.

If you are staying more than one night and want to be entertained within walking distance, then the Sheraton Miramar or the JW Marriott, or Casa del Mar in Santa Monica are all great. Of course there is also Beverly Hills which has the Hilton and the Montage are good choices.

I lived in a luxury high rise a few blocks from the Ritz in the Marina until a couple years ago and while I wouldn't advise walking to the beach at night (mostly because it's dark and there's not much to see), it's as safe as anywhere in a nice part of a major city and there are cute restaurants around the marina waterfront within an easy walk of the hotel. A little closer to the airport/pier is the Portofino Hotel in Redondo Beach, which isn't quite 5* but is adorable and has bike rentals and rooms that overlook a different marina that is often populated by friendly seals.

In Beverly Hills, the Montage is lovely and the Peninsula is delightful. The Four Seasons Beverly Wilshire (NOT Four Seasons Los Angeles, which is also lovely) is right in the middle of the shopping tourist district.

One place I haven't seen anybody mention on this thread is Terranea (http://www.terranea.com/), which we absolutely adore. It's between LAX and the port and about 10x nicer than the Ritz or the Miramar (which is a Fairmont, for the record). However, there really isn't much nearby (there are a few restaurants, pools, hiking trails and an amazing spa on property) aside from a lovely but Trump branded golf course.

Happy to answer additional questions about LA, though I'm only on CC periodically these days. You can reach me faster via twitter, my handle is JEandJL.