Air Credit for N. Europe Cruise

B-HQC

I am considering the August 9, 2017 sailing from Reykjavik to Cophenhagen and was wondering roughly how much in air credit we would get if we handled our own air. Any guidance would be appreciated!

I am considering the August 9, 2017 sailing from Reykjavik to Cophenhagen and was wondering roughly how much in air credit we would get if we handled our own air. Any guidance would be appreciated!

Your credit would be $2,900 PP.

B-HQC,

Thanks to RallyDave for providing you the air credit information. You can check this yourself for future cruises by following these steps:

1. Using the rssc.com site, click on your cruise.

2. Click on Plan my Cruise link (let's say you and you spouse/partner are sailing in a G suite @ 13,599pp)

3. On the next page it will say; "To get started, Please tell us:" Check whether y'all are Regent past guests or not, then check no for the ? do you want to include air.

4. Click continue and the price for two is now $21,398 vs $27,198 ($5800 savings) if you elect not to include air--or as Dave points out Regent will give you an air credit of $2900 pp.

To check whether this is a value to you or not suggest you use Kayak.com or Google's ITA software and price two for business class from your hometown to Reykjavik, and then two in Biz Class back from Copenhagen to your home town. Compare the $2900 regent offers and add some amount for your transfers (in Iceland and Copenhagen) since you will now pay for transfers if you do not use Regent air.

In our experience (since we are comfortable doing our own air, even if we paid for our tickets (we use frequent flyer miles to fly anywhere in the world) we have found doing our own air (once your compare what you will pay for airline tix vs Regent's air credit) more advantageous than using Regent air. However, many Regent guests like the convenience of Regent taking care of them once they reach their departure airport until they board the ship. And they also like the convenience of Regent taking care of them once they disembark until they reach their home town airport.

Edited by WesW

Thanks to OP and Dave and Wes. I'm interested in this cruise as well, and I wish I could get up the initiative to do the Kayak kind of thing. (We're not frequent travelers-- at least not in the last decade or so-- so this kind of figuring feels kind of beyond my ability, especially as I'm not computer savvy. But I like to think, now, that I'll maybe give it a try.)

B-HQC: Remember, too, that there's a charge for air deviations if you want to do that for whatever reason. (E.g. arriving at embarkation port early or staying post-cruise) At least I think there's still that extra charge.

The itinerary sure does sound enticing. (May be too long a flight for us; I haven't checked yet.)

Edited by poss

Your home airport also makes a difference. Regent's "Free Airfare" is from a list of major gateway airports. If you use a secondary or tertiary airport Regent will add extra cost for the deviation.

My home airport is MFR which is tertiary or lower and I have never found that it would be cheaper to let the cruise line provide my air travel.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just remember poss and everyone else, with Regent now including Business Class Air for all categories taking the credit if you don't mind economy or economy plus, you probably can save some money by taking the credit and not paying the Deviation Charge which is another $175 per person currently Business Class Fares you purchase for trips like this requiring an "Open Jaw" itinerary which means you cannot buy a round trip since you are not returning from the same embarkation port are extremely expensive. We have a trip like that coming up and one way business class home from Amsterdam is about $5500 for Business Class, we are using frequent flyer miles so only paying taxes. Economy. y fares for Open Jaw Flights are not that bad and you probably can get flights yourself for this itinerary for less than the credit + $350 deviation fee for a couple. For example Icelandic and WOW are about the only way to get to Reykjavik from North America and their one way flights are quite reasonable. Not sure about fares from Copenhagen. As always, the diligent traveler always does their own homework since each and every itinerary is different and asking others will probably not get you the correct answer.

.......... I wish I could get up the initiative to do the Kayak kind of thing. (We're not frequent travelers-- at least not in the last decade or so-- so this kind of figuring feels kind of beyond my ability, especially as I'm not computer savvy. But I like to think, now, that I'll maybe give it a try.)

Just use kayak as a starting point to check out fares, routing. I find it best to then book with the individual air carriers directly. Be aware that kayak does not list all air carriers, particularly the low cost/budget airline in both US, Europe and Asia.

Aside: For the first time in a decade we are using Regent air for our fall Europe cruise. Pricing the Business on our own, even with Regent deviation, the Regent air saves us over $15,000 over booking directly with specific air carriers.

j

Aside: For the first time in a decade we are using Regent air for our fall Europe cruise. Pricing the Business on our own, even with Regent deviation, the Regent air saves us over $15,000 over booking directly with specific air carriers.

j

$15,000? For how many people?

I've been researching for a cruise in Europe and looking at various open-jaw itineraries and even from my little airport business class fares top out at $10,000 for the two of us.

I haven't been looking at any airports north of Amsterdam so can't comment on Northern Europe but still a $15,000 savings implies a huge discount on the cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums