Transportation from Southampton to London

ogie58

We are sailing on "The Age of Discovery" cruise from Stockholm to Southampton (Sept 22nd to Oct 4th). Following the cruise we are planning on spending a few days in London prior to flying home. I am asking for information about the different options for transportation from Southampton to central London and which options seem to be preferable. Thank you for any assistance you can provide:

Hi, while I can't give you help with this, I know others will have first had knowledge, but if you also post on the UK cruises threads, there are similar questions and answers to help you there. Jean.

I don't know if this is still true, but about four or five years ago, we basically got off the ship and walked no more than 50 meters to get on the train.

I don't know if this is still true, but about four or five years ago, we basically got off the ship and walked no more than 50 meters to get on the train.

Not at Southampton you didn't (unless the ship forgot to stop!);)

You might be thinking of Harwich.

We are sailing the same route starting on August 2, and spending a few extra days in London. I bought 2 tickets on the National Express and hopefully it will be as simple as it sounds. I bought tickets for the 9:30 but I hope we can make the 8:30. I'm told that as long as there is room we can get on.

I checked with Regent and the ship docks very close to the bus station and it will be a short walk or an even shorter taxi ride to get there.

Our hotel in London is just a few blocks from the Victoria Station.

I have heard that you can purchase transfers through Regent once you are on the ship, and I think it was about $100 per person. We have a ton of onboard credit and I was tempted to wait until we were on board to work things out, but I decided to go with a sure thing and get the tickets on National Express. It cost 17 pounds for 2 tickets. if we wind up having leftover OBC we will probably spend it on the private car transfer offered by Regent. But having a bus ticket just in case was worth the $25 or so.

It does look like you have a great option of sharing a car with the others who will be on your cruise with you.

We are sailing the same route starting on August 2, and spending a few extra days in London. I bought 2 tickets on the National Express and hopefully it will be as simple as it sounds. ...................

Don't forget you have to schlep all you luggage to the station, onto the train, off the train and from the train thru the station to the taxi queues. And then there is the cost of the taxi from the station to your hotel. Vic station does have trolleys to rent for £1.

London local taxi fare estimator. Link

j

Don't forget you have to schlep all you luggage to the station, onto the train, off the train and from the train thru the station to the taxi queues. And then there is the cost of the taxi from the station to your hotel. Vic station does have trolleys to rent for £1.

You are so right....your still on vacation - us the credit and get a car.

London local taxi fare estimator. Link

j

National Express is a coach service using trunk roads and motorways. They are geared up to carrying holiday travellers - unlike British Rail who never have anywhere safe to put luggage.