Vibration Vogager Info please

drcandon

Hi Folks..

We are considering a long (for us) voyage on the Voyager, and we would like to book a Pent C, all of which are on the back of the ship. There has been a lot of talk about vibration on that ship on the rear. Of course, most of the info is from older posts. So if possible, from those who have been on the Voyager recently, can anyone tell me just how much vibration there is in those cabins?

I understand it is all about individual tolerance.

Thanks in advance.

Yes, Voyager still suffers from aft vibration and this bothers some guests.

Presumably you realise that the Penthouse C suites on Voyager have the same area (306 sq ft) and layout as grades H to D. You do get the benefit of a Butler and the view from the back of the ship..........as well as vibration.

You might want to consider a Penthouse B or Penthouse A. Although the size is only marginally larger they are a better layout (IMO)

Whether the vibration will be an issue for you is impossible to judge.

Actually, no we did not realise the size, I guess we assumed they are like the Mariner. I looked on our past Regent stuff and saw that we were in a PHB on the Voyager a year and a bit ago, I guess that is where I got that from...thanks for pointing that out. We will have to get another quote.

I am a bit disappointed on the vibration issue...funny most folks like the middle of the ship as it is supposed to be more stable and less prone to inducing nausea. I find it to be just the opposite, that is why I thought those cabins would be a good idea...

Thanks again

alainciao, we were in 660 during an Athens to Istanbul cruise and tho we felt some vibration it did not bother us.

btw, are you on the Voyager Grand voyage this coming January-March (Auckland to Hong Kong), if so please considering joining our roll call.

Thanks all..I have one last probably dumb question...on the cruise we are looking at suite 720 a forward PHB is open...I have photos of the Voyager and did a zoom in to look...but from the funny angle I took the photo, the balcony looks considerably smaller then the other PHB or any other for that matter...if anyone has stayed in that cabin some feedback would be appreciated..

There is another forward PH B available that we can switch to...

Again - thanks

We're in 663 for 40 nights. Is it the same there? That's 5 cabins from the aft suites.

Yes, you will definitely feel vibration. This is about where we were, and my husband went crazy over it. It didn't bother me as much. But his continual complaining about it definitely bothered me!

Thanks all..I have one last probably dumb question...on the cruise we are looking at suite 720 a forward PHB is open...I have photos of the Voyager and did a zoom in to look...but from the funny angle I took the photo, the balcony looks considerably smaller then the other PHB or any other for that matter...if anyone has stayed in that cabin some feedback would be appreciated..

Although the Penthouse B cabins have a larger suite and squarer layout, the balcony size is the same as the basic cabin balconies(50 sq ft) and smaller than Penthouse C balconies.

Best if you look at the deck plans and room layouts on the Regent website

The vibration issue provides an example of why a knowledgeable travel agent is almost always a good idea. There are some cabins on Voyager which our agent will not sell because of this. For newcomers to this board, board policy does not allow us to recommend or even mention a specific travel agent. This is a policy I agree with.

Greetings all. I am occupying a deck-8 aft PH-C suite for ten nights in June. Being a sound sleeper and one who expects to feel minor vibrations on a steel-hulled vessel with 32,300 diesel-electric horsepower in her belly, I anticipate having zero issues in this regard (fingers crossed).

To help settle the ongoing debate, however, I will don my deerstalker, grab my oversized magnifying glass, and endeavor to obtain audio/video recordings of the elusive vibrosaurus purportedly roaming abaft the ship. I will report back to the forum in due course with my findings. :D

• 4 weeks later...
Greetings all. I am occupying a deck-8 aft PH-C suite for ten nights in June. Being a sound sleeper and one who expects to feel minor vibrations on a steel-hulled vessel with 32,300 diesel-electric horsepower in her belly, I anticipate having zero issues in this regard (fingers crossed).

To help settle the ongoing debate, however, I will don my deerstalker, grab my oversized magnifying glass, and endeavor to obtain audio/video recordings of the elusive vibrosaurus purportedly roaming abaft the ship. I will report back to the forum in due course with my findings. :D

Sky Sailor,

Love your Sherlock impersonation! Am glad you offered this. Will be very interested. Thanks.

We're in 663 for 40 nights. Is it the same there? That's 5 cabins from the aft suites.

We were in the opposite cabin, 664, on a number of cruises. Yes there is a vibration but nothing bad. We have just booked 663 for a 63 night cruise in 2017 so obviously it doesn't bother us.

I really like that area on Deck 6 as there is a back (crew only) stairway to Horizon Lounge; I used it all the time.

Marc

Edited by Marq

Only 10 days aft for us, 878 (Horizonview) and we didn't have vibration problems enough to annoy us. We got the occasional 'tinking' of the ceiling tiles or glassware, but not loud and not often. I could hear it when I was trying to drift off to sleep but it was never loud enough to wake me, nor my wife.

As I stated in another thread, I wouldn't hesitate to book aft on Voyager again, but as always, YMMV.

• 2 months later...

With apologies for dredging up this topic, but I did promise to report my experience.

We occupied suite 877; that's on the starboard corner full aft. I think they're sometimes called Horizon View suites. [side note - the wrap-around balcony was wonderful - it was huge!]

I found that there is sometimes a small vibration, but it occurred only when the engines were at or near their highest RPMs. I'd say that of the two or three times I noticed it on our 10-day cruise, each episode lasted for an hour or two at which time the engine speeds were dialed back and any semblance of a vibration was gone. The vibration frequency is somewhere around 8-10 cycles per second.

The big takeaway from this, however, is that the vibration is faint and no big flipping deal. My opinion is that only the most persnickety of passengers would be upset over it.

We occupied suite 877; that's on the starboard corner full aft. I think they're sometimes called Horizon View suites. And I must say that the wrap-around balcony was wonderful - it was huge!

I intend on posting a review in the near future, but here's a review preview: the entire trip from beginning to end was... extraordinary. :)

Sky S - that is interesting. We are booked on Voyager for April 2018 and we'll be in the port corner aft suite #870.

I have been dubious about the vibration issue, as I can't think of anything more annoying than a constant rattling/shaking. Your assessment, along with some others, provides some reassurance that this is only an intermittent and not particularly overwhelming factor.

Cheers.

We have been on the Voyager and felt vibration and also have been onboard and did not feel vibration. The last time we were on the Voyager (almost 2 years ago), we were in a Seven Seas Aft (the corner suites next to the Horizon suites). Most of the vibration was in the bathroom.

While the Voyager's vibration is less than on the Navigator, it does bother some people (and does not bother others). We booked a mid-ship suite for our next Voyager cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

We were on 863 for 30 days 2 years ago and did not hear a single rattle the whole time. A couple a few cabins back though did. It is either the further back you go or its random whether you get vibration or not.

On other ships, I have been mid-ship and the ceiling vibrated the whole trip.

We are currently on Voyager in 1030 and family in 1032. Vibration is almost ruining our cruise. We are very disappointed in the whole Regent experience. Certainly not the 6* we were expecting. Although the the quality of the food is excellent it often comes cold, there is no attention to detail. Salads requested without dressing comes with dressing, dishes requested without potatoes come with....I could go on and on. Each thing individually is minor but is is relentless. i think it is a lack of guidance from senior management. We have discussed our problems with the general manager so let's hope things improve. I'm sure I'll get flamed down for this review. PS. I have sailed all the 6* lines so can make a good comparison.

Edited by Grandma Gilly

We were in 671 (last side facing suite) on Voyager for our 119 day World Cruise back in 2010. We really did not have much of a vibration issue but big issue was from music in Horizon Lounge below us. Base speakers in ceiling of it was right below. After several complaints the GM made CD have them turned down. On other hand there is a huge vibration problem in aft on Navigator.