Explorer CHRISTENING CRUISE -- 7/12 - 7/20//2016 - LIVE

We will be flying out of Vancouver tomorrow (Monday, July 11th) heading to Nice on Lufthansa Airlines. After several questions about Lufthansa’s new seats, I’ll be finally able to report about them next week.

After arrival in Nice on the 12th, we have Regent transportation directly to the ship in Monte Carlo where it will overnight. As has been posted previously, the Christening will be held Tuesday evening, July 13th. Dinner will precede the event.

My original goal on this cruise was to provide “different” pictures than you have seen previously from the many news sources as well as getting a picture or two at the Christening. It seems that there are so many photos already posted that my focus will now be on observations/musings, etc. I should be able to get some unique photos of the black-tie dinner and Christening.

I’ll try to answer questions about the ship but everything will be new and I’ll be learning along with everyone else. I’m hoping that tours of different suite categories will be available to us. Although we have seen photos, it would be nice to see them in person.

There will be excursions in the different ports but it we will likely forego most of them since I tend to melt in hot weather. We love Portofino so much that we booked a Regent Choice wine excursion that begins at 9:15 a.m. (while drinking wine that early is “different”, it is better than being out in the heat). In any case, the itinerary for this cruise is as follows:

July 12 – 13 – Monte Carlo

July 14 – Portofino

July 15 – Florence (Livorno)

July 16 – Cruise the Mediterranean Sea

July 17 – Ibiza, Spain

July 18 – Barcelona

July 19 – Saint Raphael, France

July 20 – Monte Carlo

Edited by Travelcat2

Have a great trip, Tc. And I'm glad that you'll be posting.

If you have the chance, I'd be interested in hearing about the "G" category cabins. (We wouldn't be booking anything "higher.") E.g. do they seem at least as comfortable as "G's" on Mariner (or comparable on Voyager)? What are the bathrooms like? We like the Mariner bathrooms-- nice big shower. Is there at least as much space to put things away? (books, etc.)

I know that most everyone (maybe everyone) is thrilled about this new ship, but I suspect (not sure) that it may not be our cuppa. We very much don't enjoy glitz, much prefer classical, understated elegance. Obviously, our druthers are beside the point-- except to us, of course. ;-)

Have a GREAT sail!

No matter how tired we may be, we will attend the shows since they will be new shows with the new dancers and singers. Will definitely report on this.

poss, from what I hear from the TA's onboard now, the suites will be open during our one sea day. We plan on viewing every single category of suite and will take a pictures of the "G" category.

We have waited so long for this and are obviously extremely excited:D

We will be flying out of Vancouver tomorrow (Monday, July 11th) heading to Nice on Lufthansa Airlines. After several questions about Lufthansa’s new seats, I’ll be finally able to report about them next week.

After arrival in Nice on the 12th, we have Regent transportation directly to the ship in Monte Carlo where it will overnight. As has been posted previously, the Christening will be held Tuesday evening, July 13th. Dinner will precede the event.

My original goal on this cruise was to provide “different” pictures than you have seen previously from the many news sources as well as getting a picture or two at the Christening. It seems that there are so many photos already posted that my focus will now be on observations/musings, etc. I should be able to get some unique photos of the black-tie dinner and Christening.

I’ll try to answer questions about the ship but everything will be new and I’ll be learning along with everyone else. I’m hoping that tours of different suite categories will be available to us. Although we have seen photos, it would be nice to see them in person.

There will be excursions in the different ports but it we will likely forego most of them since I tend to melt in hot weather. We love Portofino so much that we booked a Regent Choice wine excursion that begins at 9:15 a.m. (while drinking wine that early is “different”, it is better than being out in the heat). In any case, the itinerary for this cruise is as follows:

July 12 – 13 – Monte Carlo

July 14 – Portofino

July 15 – Florence (Livorno)

July 16 – Cruise the Mediterranean Sea

July 17 – Ibiza, Spain

July 18 – Barcelona

July 19 – Saint Raphael, France

July 20 – Monte Carlo

Want to hear about about entertainment at christening! Will be watching the streaming live.

How is the "Christening Cruise" different than the "Maiden Voyage"?

How is the "Christening Cruise" different than the "Maiden Voyage"?

The Christening of the ship, IMO, is the biggest difference. It is very rare for Regent to hold a black-tie event. I suspect this is because Her Serene Highness Princess Charlene of Monaco will be Christening the ship. Unlike the Christenings of the two Oceania ships that were held after the Maiden Voyage, this one is being held before.

Secondly, as WesW described on a different thread, in addition to TA's, there will be friends and family of Regent executives and employees (from Miami). I've also heard that there are a few long time Titanium guests on board as well as investors.

Having never been on either a Christening cruise or "Maiden Voyage", these are only guesses.

Edited by Travelcat2

I wish your new avatar were clearer, Tc. When you post the photos of the ship, I hope that one will have you in it. It's fun to get a glimpse of the frequent posters.

I wish your new avatar were clearer, Tc. When you post the photos of the ship, I hope that one will have you in it. It's fun to get a glimpse of the frequent posters.

When you and all the other regular posters post their photos, so will I;) In the meantime, I've posted my DH's photo a few times and probably will again when he is wearing his tuxedo. We live in a very casual city (where jeans and a long sleeved shirt is considered dressed up) so having to pack for this cruise has been a challenge (shoes and matching handbags, a gown, a tuxedo, omg....... definitely not something we typically do).

The problem with CC is all the avatars are not clear but you can post some clear photos of trips. I have seen some great photos on CC but the avatars are blurry and don't do anyone justice.

TC2:

I hope you and your husband have a wonderful trip. Please let me know if you need help on posting pics since I am just an email away if needed like during your So. Africa cruise. Love to hear about the ship's wine list and whether Olga is onboard as a bartender. If so, please say hello for us.

Unfortunately, I will miss the live Christening stream since I will in DC at a conference, but it should be available on you tube so I can share it with The Boss when I get home.

Z and TB

Jackie - have a great time!! Charlene the swimmer and all!! And remember than when wine tasting you do not have to drink the wine. Taste it and spit it out. Then you can try loads of different ones AND remember which was which!

Look forward to reading all you have to relate...

Gerry

Just sifted thru a gazillion photos of (almost) all the Explorer has to offer......

WOW! I know that's a term that's getting used to death these days, but I can't think of anything that really encompasses it all........WOW....(oh, did I say that already?)!!!!!!

Will be looking forward to your reports! (can't wait till November!!!)

Linda

Hi, have a great trip and thanks in advance for sharing - looking forward to hearing how much (or not) you enjoy this trip. We've booked the Grand Suite for our trip, so far all the photos look get-if you see it, it will be interesting to see what you think.

Rick

Thanks for the kind posts. We're leaving for the airport in a couple of hours - getting excited!

If I find anything that hasn't been photographed yet, I'll take a picture. I really don't know what to expect from this cruise but are anxious to see everything.

Next post will be from the ship!

I don't even know where to start. So, let me start with Lufthansa. The seats were beautiful -- service was top notch -- flat bed seats were extremely uncomfortable (and the extra storage space that is available on BA's 747-400's just wasn't there. While we love Cathay Pacific, Virgin and many other "top" airlines that are not available to us out of Vancouver. Bottom line..... sticking with BA.

Some posters thought that the Explorer may have been over-hyped. This could not be further from the truth. Photos do not do it justice. Attention has been paid to every detail of this amazing ship.

To address the issue of maiden voyager (or in this case, a pre-maiden voyage), the things that are not quite right would not be noticed by most passengers. My DH asked for a make-up mirror...... they have yet to arrive on the ship. Big deal (not).

Food, service and the ship itself is completely over the top (but in a tasteful way).

We had dinner with a friend in CR. The menu has been changed in a good way. Difficult to explain at the moment as I am tired and want to see the Observation Lounge before going to bed.

The only problem we are having is getting lost. You definitely do not feel like you are on a Regent ship when you are on the Explorer (not sure if this is a positive statement or not).

Will try to get into more detail tomorrow. We have the day to figure things out -- before the Black-tie dinner and Christening.

Last thing for now, we are in the small room with 4 computers (it is 9:40 p.m.) At least three people have stopped by to see the computer person who is not here (there are never here this time of the night). For now, three of the four computers are being used (probably because most people are still at dinner after arriving on the ship late this afternoon.

Edited by Travelcat2