Random Notes, Explorer Maiden Voyage, LIVE

Mr Rumor

Actually I'm "live" at the moment from my home office. But a year and a half after booking the MV, I will be reporting live from the Explorer in less than 72 hours. I thought it might be a good idea to reserve my berth on the message board now, before Ginny and I fly out in the morning.

You'd think a Maiden Voyage live blog would be the blog that would be the tough act to follow. Well, I've just gotten caught up with Travelcat2's Christening Cruise blog, with the great assist from Zqueeze, and see that I've got my blogging work cut out for me! Kudos, 'Cat, on a superb job in helping to introduce the Explorer to us. Cheers, Zqueeze!

Actually, I'm breathing a little easier at the moment after poring through Jackie's info-packed posts and gazing at all of her photos (on top of the scores of Explorer photos posted elsewhere--if a picture is truly worth a thousand words, we've already had the opportunity to digest a small library's worth of Explorer photos). Kinda takes the pressure off me a little. Which is good as MV is a port-intensive cruise that will take time away from my exploration of the Explorer. Plus I know I'll need time to get my Explorer bearings. But I'm looking forward to even the wrong turns I'll be making, as you never know what interesting fodder for a post may be lurking there. Glad to have you along!

This will be my second Maiden Voyage. The first seems like a lifetime ago. A senior in journalism at the time I was given the opportunity to serve an editing internship with Royal Viking Line, then billed as the "Rolls-Royce of cruise lines." I had my pick of the line's ships. I chose the Sea, not because I would be producing the brand new Sea's very first newspapers on its Maiden Voyage, but because the commitment wasn't as long--only a little more than six months. Serious chap that I was, I thought it was important to not be away from newspaper job opportunities in the "real world" any longer than that. (Cue Bob Dylan: "But I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now. . . .")

I only have vague memories of the Sea's December, 1973 Maiden Voyage, "Christmas in Africa." If I had known then how much I would come to treasure my time aboard the Sea, and later the Star, I would have kept a daily diary and taken my own library's worth of photos. When Ginny and I booked the Explorer MV I resolved to blog it for posterity.

While the title of this thread doesn't advertise "Joint Live Blog" I hope it will become one in the spirit of the lively "Hot Spots and Headlines" blog I co-authored with Travelcat2, RachelG and other Cruise Critic members last fall. So, if you're on the MV please consider this thread your thread, too. The more bloggers and better!

On a serious note, I can't end this post without a few words about Nice. We had only flown into Nice once previously, in 2010, when we took our first Regent cruise. When we arrive on Tuesday, France will have just completed three days of national mourning. Ginny's and my thoughts and prayers continue to be with the victims of last Thursday's horror, and their families, the people of Nice, the people of France, and the three Frenchmen whom I think of as the Explorer's "French Connection": Captain Stanislas "Stan" De Lacombe, General Manager Franck Galzy and Executive Chef Aurelien Dumeylet.

Rich

The Welcome Aboard brochure that accompanied our cruise documents contained this insert introducing the Explorer's leadership team.

leadership%20team%20front_zpspsbs0fvc.jpg

leadership%20team%20back_zpsin2liymy.jpg

Our itinerary. We embark the Explorer in Monte Carlo on July 20, and disembark in Venice on August 3.

itinerary_zpsm1gnusjd.jpg

Hi Rich. We are also headed to the airport tomorrow morning. It will be a somber experience to arrive into Nice. But we are looking forward to being the first revenue guests of the long-awaited Explorer. Hope to see you onboard!

Hi Rich, wonderful fist post on your Random Notes, Explorer Maiden thread. Look forward to reading Ginny and your Explorer impressions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rich, really looking forward to your posts that will be much better written than mine. Also looking forward to November when there will be the greatest number of CC'ers posting from the same ship (Explorer of course:-)

Rich, really looking forward to your posts that will be much better written than mine. Also looking forward to November when there will be the greatest number of CC'ers posting from the same ship (Explorer of course:-)

TC2: I join with many others to thank you for spending so much time during a very busy event to share with us much sought after info. I look forward to meeting you at a CC get-together in March.

Jim C

Just like everyone else here, we're looking forward to your blog! It's always great to get more eyes on the prize. Can't wait to share memories of Royal Viking with you in November. It was the line that got us cruisin'!

Fairwinds and following seas,

Linda

TC2: I join with many others to thank you for spending so much time during a very busy event to share with us much sought after info. I look forward to meeting you at a CC get-together in March.

Jim C

You are more than welcome! Looking forward to meeting you in March as well. You are all in for a treat -- reading Rich's well-written description of this magnificent ship will be amazing!

Greetings from the AA Admirals Club Lounge at DFW, and thanks for all the nice words and good wishes! I was happy to see check-ins from two of my blogging-brethren-to-be, Anchorbuoy and xrvlcruiser. Looking forward to a post or three from each of you--or even 33, if you can swing it!

After five chiropractic treatments in the last two weeks, I'm feeling spry and limber so far today. But I know a physical challenge looms within the next several hours: negotiating British Airlines' business-class seats. I've heard that this feat may require the skills of a contortionist. We'll see!

Rich

Katie & Big John/witt's end;

Ida and I wish y'all Fair Winds and Followings Seas on your Explorer voyage. Look forward to reading (along w/Mr. Rumor (Rich & Ginny), xrvlcruiser/Peggy, Petlover/Marice and Tom and Anchorbuoy) your impressions of the Explorer. Katie, seems like yesterday we were on the Voyager (Dubai to Athens).

Heading to Monaco today after a 5 day 'heatwave' London stopover . Have kept on top of all things explorer via the wonderful pre cruise cruises and subsequent reviews. Looking very much forward to experiencing it all ourselves .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Mr. Rumor, looking forward to your blogging as well....I know I will be sailing on the Maiden Voyage through your eyes and experiences, along with a few of my friends who are also sailing on her(talking to you Peggy and Peter & Nancy as well).

Have a wonderful trip.

Pat

Katie & Big John/witt's end;

Ida and I wish y'all Fair Winds and Followings Seas on your Explorer voyage. Look forward to reading (along w/Mr. Rumor (Rich & Ginny), xrvlcruiser/Peggy, Petlover/Marice and Tom and Anchorbuoy) your impressions of the Explorer. Katie, seems like yesterday we were on the Voyager (Dubai to Athens).

Thanks Wes and Ida,

I'll let you know if I think the gym is up to your standards!

We arrived this afternoon but my luggage is on a journey of its own! Hopefully, it will find me soon!

I have been redirected to this thread from the thread on the pre aides voyage cruise to find the answer to a question. Some suites on the Explorer, e.g. G are shower only. Do they have the washing drying cord that features above the bath in the suites with bathrooms?

Edited by eliana

Hmm not the best start . British airways mislaid a lot of regent passengers luggage from Heathrow to nice , including my husbands.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

YIKES!!!!

This is my biggest fear for our upcoming Explorer cruise, using British Airways. Keeping my fingers crossed for you. Please keep us updated on how they handle it.