Probably want to avoid stateroom 684 on the Explorer

For anyone booking Deluxe Veranda Suites on the Explorer, you may want to avoid stateroom 684.

Just watched this video tour of the gym onboard the Explorer, and as you'll see, stateroom 684 is located in a small "room" leading from the corridor to the gym entrance -- therefore not only will there be extra foot traffic by this stateroom, but whenever someone enters or leaves the gym, they'll have to open and shut 2 doors right outside your room. And because the "room" is such a small space, it seems from the video that the sound reverberates a bit. Could definitely see this causing a noise issue for this stateroom.

Just wanted to get this info out there since this gym entrance is not clear on the deck plan.

Edited by towel-animal

Actually, the Explorer is quite sound proof. The only areas that we avoid on any ship is under the bridge and pool deck. In terms of two doors into the gym (don't remember seeing them but do not doubt you), on Oceania's Riviera (built by the same shipyard), we were across from the laundry room (2 doors) and didn't hear a sound. I believe that this will be the case with the suite that you mentioned.

I hesitate to suggest that someone not stay in a particular suite until/unless someone actually stays in the suite and reports an issue.

Towel animal; thanks for the report. I was already fearful of this as they had to "engineer" a door to gym on Deck 6. We will be in 787 right on top of gym; hoping that is quiet.

One more question about entrance to gym on Deck 6; with the doors is it easy to maneuver a wheel chair or electric scooter? Are they automatic doors or do you have to actually pull open?

Marc

Edited by Marq

Our cabin is quiet with respect to not hearing voices or TV from the adjacent cabins. We do however clearly hear doors closing next door, or across the hallway. The doors are heavy, take a good effort to latch, and the self-closing springs are robust.

Having returned from the gym this morning, I noticed the gym door (across from 684) bangs closed with gusto. I agree that I would think twice about 684.

As far as handicap access, that is a problem. Once you go thru the door, there are 3 steps, and no ramp. The doors are manually operated.

The door to the corridor was propped open today.

Edited by Anchorbuoy

Towel animal thanks for posting that good information. It's obvious a big heavy door like that would disturb any passengers in that cabin, and as you say foot fall could possibly be frequent.

A definite cabin to avoid in my opinion. Thanks, Jean.

As far as handicap access, that is a problem. Once you go thru the door, there are 3 steps, and no ramp. The doors are manually operated.

Do you think the three steps would be ok to maneuver with a walker if you had help? My mom uses a walker all the time but goes to the gym three times a week at home; would be nice to be able to continue that aboard.

thanks,

Marc

towel-animal: Thanks so much for mentioning that detail. In the past there've been posts on which suites on each ship to avoid (and which are preferred), and I've always found such information helpful. I hope that more people will ring in on this kind of detail.

I have a question for you: You put the word "room" in quotes, and you mention that it is "such a small space." So are these suites (H?G?) smaller than the standard suites on Voyager and Mariner? That's what I've been concerned about: that in order to have the level of comfort we've always so much enjoyed on the other ships, one has to step it up on suite selection. Explorer may be out of reach for us in any case, but no question that it would be if we had to book a higher level suite.

Thanks again: very good of you to post.

towel-animal: Thanks so much for mentioning that detail. In the past there've been posts on which suites on each ship to avoid (and which are preferred), and I've always found such information helpful. I hope that more people will ring in on this kind of detail.

I have a question for you: You put the word "room" in quotes, and you mention that it is "such a small space." So are these suites (H?G?) smaller than the standard suites on Voyager and Mariner? That's what I've been concerned about: that in order to have the level of comfort we've always so much enjoyed on the other ships, one has to step it up on suite selection. Explorer may be out of reach for us in any case, but no question that it would be if we had to book a higher level suite.

Thanks again: very good of you to post.

You're welcome! My usage of the word "room" was referring to the small enclosed space between the corridor and the gym entrance, where the door to 684 happens to be. I wasn't using the term to refer to the category of suite, of which I really have no knowledge.

If you watch the video I linked to, from the corridor the gentleman has to open one door which leads to the "room." He then passes 684 and opens the door the gym entrance.

I hesitate to suggest that someone not stay in a particular suite until/unless someone actually stays in the suite and reports an issue.

I was taken aback by the negative subject of this thread considering that the MV only began 4 days ago and the OP had not been on the ship.

And to TravelCat's point, my post may indeed be premature/irrelevant if the sound proofing is adequate, so perhaps I should not have posted. I was just taken aback at the awkward and "potentially" problematic location of this stateroom when seeing the video. I know I would not want to chance it when choosing my stateroom and thought others may feel the same.

Edited by towel-animal

Our cabin is quiet with respect to not hearing voices or TV from the adjacent cabins. We do however clearly hear doors closing next door, or across the hallway. The doors are heavy, take a good effort to latch, and the self-closing springs are robust.

Having returned from the gym this morning, I noticed the gym door (across from 684) bangs closed with gusto. I agree that I would think twice about 684.

Thank you for your input. I was taken aback by the negative subject of this thread considering that the MV only began 4 days ago and the OP had not been on the ship.

Interestingly, we did not hear doors closing or slamming (deck 9 mid-ship). We accessed the gym from deck 5 and took stairs to deck 6 and back down again so we did not encounter the doors you describe. It sounds like a good thing that the door is propped open. As with any areas of the ship that are above or below restaurants, the pool or the gym, there can be a bit of noise.

As an aside, the deck plans for the Explorer are not exactly correct yet. We changed our suite for one of the crossing next year and the information given to our TA by Regent did not match the website. After they double checked for us, the Regent agent was correct -- the website was not.

Edited by Travelcat2

I would not quote this as a negative thread, it is more of an informative thread, which is providing a passenger with advanced information of the area surrounding the noted cabin. This way potential guests are aware prior to boarding. I would far rather that, than the unexpected? Jean.

Thank you for pointing that out. I have watched the video and it does seem like one of two entrances to the gym and i for one wouldn't want to have saved a large amount of money to have ended up in that suite.

I wonder if the other people questioning this thread would be happy to stay in this cabin?...perhaps not.

Thank you for highlighting this.

Pam.

Do you think the three steps would be ok to maneuver with a walker if you had help? My mom uses a walker all the time but goes to the gym three times a week at home; would be nice to be able to continue that aboard.

thanks,

Marc

Hi Marc

I will post a photo so you can judge for yourself.

Here is the small "room" at the end of the corridor. To reach suite 684, you would need to go thru this door to reach the entry door to 684. The suite is to the right; the gym is to the left.

Both gym doors were propped open this afternoon. 0a8ac20ef6879b7c4bcd4fab71234b99.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Disability/Handicap access doesn't seem to have been designed into this new ship, which is very surprising

If Mr Soy is still reading these threads maybe he could comment on future plans to rectify, and perhaps respond to the following which was overlooked during the recent Q&A:

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2368771

PS: Someone posted about narrower corridors on the ship. Are they wide enough to get past a wheelchair comfortably?

Edited by flossie009
PS added

Thank you towel-animal; your post is on point and helpful. It started a very useful discussion. It doesn't matter that you haven't stayed in that room or that the ship is only started its MV! The video and the photos show the facts. It's a poor choice for a room unless heavily discounted. Maybe its for the crew!

Thank you towel-animal; your post is on point and helpful. It started a very useful discussion. It doesn't matter that you haven't stayed in that room or that the ship is only started its MV! The video and the photos show the facts. It's a poor choice for a room unless heavily discounted. Maybe its for the crew!

Actually some of the Guest Lecturers are given staterooms where the guests are also. This would be in my opinion a good non-revenue cabin. I would be very upset to have that cabin location.

Anchorbuoy: Once again, thank you for your onboard reporting and photos. Onboard reports from the Explorer will be important for the next couple of months as there are so many questions about Regent's newest (and best IMO) ship.

While that suite is not is a good position, in a way it reminds me of the window cabins on the Navigator that have a walkway for the crew right outside the window. I suppose that all ships have cabins like this.

Speaking of cabins on this deck, do you know anyone in one of these cabins? "poss" has been asking for a couple of weeks for pictures. When I was onboard I was unable to get a photo and thought that you may have better luck. Thanks!

[quote name=Travelcat2

While that suite is not is a good position, in a way it reminds me of the window cabins on the Navigator that have a walkway for the crew right outside the window. I suppose that all ships have cabins like this.

![/quote]

I don't believe there is any comparison. We have met people onboard Navigator who adore the window cabins.The balcony is of no interest to them and they say there is very little crew activity Drapes can be closed if there is a privacy issue. I don't recall ever hearing any complaints about those cabins. The extra space is nice.

Actually some of the Guest Lecturers are given staterooms where the guests are also. This would be in my opinion a good non-revenue cabin. I would be very upset to have that cabin location.

Kathy, that would not be to my liking either. And TC not all lines have the same crew walkways.

Thank you for your input. I was taken aback by the negative subject of this thread considering that the MV only began 4 days ago and the OP had not been on the ship.

Interestingly, we did not hear doors closing or slamming (deck 9 mid-ship). We accessed the gym from deck 5 and took stairs to deck 6 and back down again so we did not encounter the doors you describe. It sounds like a good thing that the door is propped open. As with any areas of the ship that are above or below restaurants, the pool or the gym, there can be a bit of noise.

As an aside, the deck plans for the Explorer are not exactly correct yet. We changed our suite for one of the crossing next year and the information given to our TA by Regent did not match the website. After they double checked for us, the Regent agent was correct -- the website was not.

We are in cabin 679 which is a category G1 cabin. Would caution that the cabin is not at all as shown on Regent's web site for a category G1 but more like the web site's category H