1st Cruise round Med.Advice Req'd on excursions to Rome/Venice (Vision Of The Seas)

Hi everybody

Brand new member here. I/we found this site after typing the phrase 'cruising tips' into the web. Therefore, I joined and hope we can find some info on our cruise that we are going on in 5 days days time. We are a family of 8 as follows:

Husband, 45 years (lead person)

My Wife, 43 years

Our 2 Kids (12 & 14)

My Sister, 53 (has mobility problems)

My Mother, 72 years (has mobility problems)

My Neice and here husband, 25 years (ish)

We are flying from Manchester to Barcelona on Sat 8th August 2015.

From there we pick up Royal Caribbean Vision Of The Seas for a 12 day cruise, according to the following itinerary over the 12 days:

Barcelona

Nice

Florence

Rome

Almafi Coast

Kotor, Montenegro

Venice

Dubrovnik

Luckily, I have a colleague who ironically is on that very ship as I type. He is new to cruising himself and is sending some tips back to me about mistakes he has made and things to do/not to do.

I would be grateful if you people would read my post and give me your opinions on my questions and your opinions on my friends advice as we are completely new to cruising. I will start with this message he texted me earlier.,

'If your going to Rome and want to go in Vatican museum and peters basilica where the Sistine chapel is then try and pre book tickets before you go (they are free) as the queue was about two hours long, not sure how you do this or who with but was told this by another passenger after we had been , I'd look on-line asap'

THEREFORE, DOES ANYBODY HAVE ANY ADVICE ON THOSE COMMENTS PLEASE? IS THIS POSSIBLE TO BOOK ONLINE IN ADVANCE FROM HERE IN UK?

Thanks in advance

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

There is tons of info available here for your use. To start with, I would get familiar with the Med Ports boards, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=603

where it is commonly recommended you book Vatican tickets and similar in advance.

FYI, typing in all caps is considered yelling.

To further your knowledge, take a look at the RCI forum, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83

Also, join your roll call- people that are on your cruise, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2055367

and get the benefit of their research and knowledge.

Welcome to Cruise Critic. As it's your first cruise it's a very good idea to book several of your excursions with the ship. This way if the tour is late returning the ship will wait for you.

You might only book two or three excursions as several of your port stops are easily done on foot.

Pick up a guide book and read up on the locations you're visiting. Some of the port stops can possibly be done on foot without the necessity of booking an excursion.

Florence

For Florence you will be docked in Laspezia which is around an hour and half from Florence. You would be wise to book this transportation with the cruise line. If you only visited Pisa that looks much closer, perhaps there is separate excursion that only goes there and perhaps another stop.

Nice

Is another port stop where you should definitely book an excursion with the ship. There are some absolutely beautiful places to visit in the South of France. Many of these excursions will make stop in mountain villages like Hez, St. Paul de Vence, Grasse and sometimes to Cannes as well. These are typically all-day affairs, a bit pricey but, well worth it and will probably be among the highlights of your cruise.

Dubrovnik, Croatia

Is a port that is easily done on foot. This is an ancient walled city, where motor cars aren't allowed and you can spend a lot time walking around and exploring.

Venice, Italy

too should be a great port to visit on foot. You'll want to visit St. Mark's Square, the Bridge of Sighs, the Grand Canal, take a ride on a Gondola.

You will get much more out of your trip if you read up on your port stops in advance so you'll know and understand and appreciate what you're seeing when you get there.

If you haven't booked any excursions yet, do so soon before you leave as they will likely be sold out, these are extremely popular destinations especially during the summer.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Jonathan

Edited by cruiserking

We should note the OP is sailing in just a couple of days, so booking thru the cruise line- if seats are still available- is a good idea. If possible, the OP might be able to grab a few seats on private tours on the OP's roll call.

The "late back to the ship with a private tour" is really a non-issue. If- at this very late date- the OP books with a recommended private vender, being back to the ship late is extremely unlikely.

Thank you all for taking your time to help & assist us. It is much appreciated. As for the official excursions the reason we haven't booked direct with the ship is because we have my Mother & Sister who have mobility problems (walking) so we had this grand idea of booking private trips so that we could go at our own slow pace. We ASSUME that there are 'private' tour companies in every port pitching to take us on tours. Our reckoning was that as soon as we set foot on dry land there would be scores of tour companies and the like offering trips and given that there are 8 of us we would have no problems hiring a private minibus. These are simply assumptions based on what we've encountered when visiting other ports in the world whilst on other package holidays. For example, we visited Turkey a few years ago and once we were at the quay side there were loads of private tours by Boat (out to sea) and by land etc. Again, we assume Cities like Rome will be similar???

Many assumptions as you can see.

Going back to the subject of ship organised excursions I am convinced they would be a problem for us based on the mobility problems of my pensioner Mother. Another reason I think this is that on organised Tours you literally go where the guide/company take you. Whilst this is a good thing I just know that my Mother would struggle to walk a lot and my Mother would prefer to spend a LOT of time at the Vatican as opposed to other 'places'.

Does anybody have any thoughts on that?

Hi everybody

Brand new member here. I/we found this site after typing the phrase 'cruising tips' into the web. Therefore, I joined and hope we can find some info on our cruise that we are going on in 5 days days time. We are a family of 8 as follows:

Husband, 45 years (lead person)

My Wife, 43 years

Our 2 Kids (12 & 14)

My Sister, 53 (has mobility problems)

My Mother, 72 years (has mobility problems)

My Neice and here husband, 25 years (ish)

We are flying from Manchester to Barcelona on Sat 8th August 2015.

From there we pick up Royal Caribbean Vision Of The Seas for a 12 day cruise, according to the following itinerary over the 12 days:

Barcelona

Nice

Florence

Rome

Almafi Coast

Kotor, Montenegro

Venice

Dubrovnik

Luckily, I have a colleague who ironically is on that very ship as I type. He is new to cruising himself and is sending some tips back to me about mistakes he has made and things to do/not to do.

I would be grateful if you people would read my post and give me your opinions on my questions and your opinions on my friends advice as we are completely new to cruising. I will start with this message he texted me earlier.,

'If your going to Rome and want to go in Vatican museum and peters basilica where the Sistine chapel is then try and pre book tickets before you go (they are free) as the queue was about two hours long, not sure how you do this or who with but was told this by another passenger after we had been , I'd look on-line asap'

THEREFORE, DOES ANYBODY HAVE ANY ADVICE ON THOSE COMMENTS PLEASE? IS THIS POSSIBLE TO BOOK ONLINE IN ADVANCE FROM HERE IN UK?

Thanks in advance

Vatican pre-sale tickets this close to your dates (and in busy August) are probably sold out. Rome in summer is not "do it at the last minute" for anything. Note, as well, that cities like Rome or Venice should be embarkation/disembarkation cities where you can add a few land days pre/post cruise.

There are probably ship and private excursions ("the Roman Guy" or even "Rome in Limos" which still may have group openings. But, much of these tours will be "drive bys". However, based on your family size, they may also be able to arrange a private tour - make sure to arrange for both driver AND licensed guide for things like Vatican Museum. Sadly, the best private guides will already be booked as well.

Whatever you do, recognize that anti-terrorism measures have change the game in Rome- even private tour group "no line" pre- purchased ticket holders for the Colosseum are facing 1 hour plus security check lines since this past June.

yes you wont find minivans at the docks looking for people to tour

We do private tours as my husband has walking difficulties-we have been able to fill a 6/7 seater minivan with people on roll call to cut cost per person but as you are already a group of 6 a private minvan would be ideal-the issue is timing now

there are several well respected tour operators on the Italy ports of call forum

Personally I can recommend Rudy from Rome-car-tours a locally based guide who will be able to take you around the Vatican[many are drivers only and cannot accompany you inside

other respected companies include Rome in Limo Romecabs Joe Bananas taxis amongst others

google the names and you will find links to their websites/reviews on trip advisor

contact them and see if they have availability for your dates

cost is about 500 euros per van[ships excursions will probably work out a lot more with 6 of you and as you say with mobility issues a big bus of 50-60 people can be awkward

good luck

Thanks for the excellent advice everybody. I will be on Tripadvisor ASAP to look for a private tour company for the 8 of us (Not 6)

Thanks again

Just remember that not all "drivers" are LICENSED "guides," which is necessary if s/he is to accompany you into Vatican museum, colosseum, etc. Though seemingly more expensive, driver and guide twosome saves a lot of time. A driver who happens to be a licensed guide, still needs to find a parking space - not easy in Rome.

Thanks for the excellent advice everybody. I will be on Tripadvisor ASAP to look for a private tour company for the 8 of us (Not 6)

Thanks again

Why not on the Ports boards linked back in post #2?

Good luck, as you sail in only a couple of days. It will not be easy at this late date.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everybody

Thank you to those of you who commented on this thread. I followed the advice of a couple of posters and booked Rudi at Rome Car Tour. All we can say is a huge THANK YOU for suggesting him. This company were fantastic. No money changed hands until we were back at the ship. Rudi is a fantastic guide and IS Licenced. His drivers were gentlemen. Another massive plus point was the fact they we were driven around in private Minivans which meant that they could stop literally anywhere on any Street corner and pick us up. The only disappointments were the Trevi fountain was closed for building works and the huge queues at the Vatican etc. However, we expected that and can't complain. We are now hooked on cruising and am now going to start posting more.

Once again. Thank you all!

Hi everybody

Thank you to those of you who commented on this thread. I followed the advice of a couple of posters and booked Rudi at Rome Car Tour. All we can say is a huge THANK YOU for suggesting him. This company were fantastic. No money changed hands until we were back at the ship. Rudi is a fantastic guide and IS Licenced. His drivers were gentlemen. Another massive plus point was the fact they we were driven around in private Minivans which meant that they could stop literally anywhere on any Street corner and pick us up. The only disappointments were the Trevi fountain was closed for building works and the huge queues at the Vatican etc. However, we expected that and can't complain. We are now hooked on cruising and am now going to start posting more.

And thank you for coming back and telling us all about it! ;)

I'm glad that you've become hooked...it's what happens with cruising...:D

Hi everybody

I was the one who recommended Rudi-glad you found his company as great as we did