From the Viking Skirnir (Modi)

biker1972

Just started a Budapest to Amsterdam cruise on the Viking Skirnir. It was scheduled to be the Modi but that boat is in Amsterdam because of the low water. Everything is going very well other than that. Viking arranged our flights with about 90 minutes between each connection. If we had not used assistance at each airport, the time would have been tight. The meet and greet team at the Budapest airport was highly visible an efficient, We we quickly directed to a bus, given hand wipes and bottled water. Then a bus ride from the airport to the Skirnir lasting around 45 minutes in 5:00 o'clock traffic.

At the boat we were checked in quickly. This consisted of giving them our passports and having our names checked off. With passports back in hand, the next crew member in line was assigned to take us to our cabin. The keycard system was explained a s well as the lighting system where a keycard has to be left in a slot to keep the lights on.We asked that the beds be separated and while at dinner this happened. Suitcases began arriving at the room within 5 minutes and all were the in 10.

Dining room doors were opened at 7:00. We missed the 6:30 evening briefing because of the late afternoon arrival and unpacking. Somewhat refreshed, we did make dinner. Wine was poured freely as were soft drinks. The menu has a first course, second course and dessert listed. Most of the people at our table went with this. But there was no problem with adding extra items from the first course or dessert list. Portions were not excessive but there was no feeling of going away wanting more. Dessert had to be order at the beginning of the meal. This was the only change in service that I noted.The smallest table was for six so it was definitely a get to know your shipmates kind of meal. Coffee was offered post-meal and there was no sense of urgency to have you leave.

There was a presentation on optional excursions presented in the lounge later in the evening. Two screens were used so that chairs did not have to be moved for sight lines. The a piano player took over.

The room is tight, with a nice balcony with 2 chairs and a small table. Bathroom is workable like most cruise ships, Only thing I found missing would be a grab bar in the shower. There is a floor level light that can be left on so that night time trips can be done without being blinded. Beds comfortable with room underneath for the suitcases.

Wifi is available but was unable to get it in the room. Did log on in the lounge. I will try to keep this thread updated as we go up the river. So far Viking has brought the A game.

I can't wait to read your reports. I leave for Budapest in just over 7 weeks.

I am especially interested in how the schedule works out for your ship in Regensburg and Nuremberg. We are trying to decide if we can make a "quick" trip over to Munich for Oktoberfest, and it would likely need to be on one of those days.

Enjoy your cruise!!

Wed . 5 AUG The included shorex was a bus and walking tour of Buda and Pest.The walking portion was easy but the heat really made it difficult. The funicular is an easy walk across the chain bridge and worth the effort. Great views of the parliament building from the top of castle hill. On leaving Budapest the captain backed up some distance so that we could have some nice viewing as we finished dinner. Many building are lighted for some of the evening.

Dinner again very well done. Did notice that most guests only doing one item from the first course list. I know hat if they had the menu marked first, second and entreé there would be more doing so. Perhaps a way Viking is able to hold down costs.:confused: More later, muster nearing.

Thanks for the reports.

I'm not sure I'm understanding your comment on the menus though?

The samples I've seen are labelled 'First Course', 'Main Course' and 'Desert' so the normal expectation would be that you are ordering one from each, not multiple choices from the 'First Course' list.

Thanks for the reports.

I'm not sure I'm understanding your comment on the menus though?

The samples I've seen are labelled 'First Course', 'Main Course' and 'Desert' so the normal expectation would be that you are ordering one from each, not multiple choices from the 'First Course' list.

Jumping in.

Just off the Alsvin/Ingvi Amsterdam to Budapest.

Many of us ordered two items off the first course. One being a soup and the other being a salad.

My DH also ordered a cheese plate and a dessert most nights.

There was never a problem doing this.

Many of us ordered two items off the first course. One being a soup and the other being a salad.

My DH also ordered a cheese plate and a dessert most nights.

There was never a problem doing this.

I'm sure they are always going to try to accommodate people wanting to order extra items where possible, but they are still extra on top of what is on offer, it was the suggestion that Viking are in some way controlling costs by listing the menu that ways that I found puzzling.

They are more accurately increasing their costs by meeting guest requests for extra items, unless I'm still missing a point somewhere?

Dinner again very well done. Did notice that most guests only doing one item from the first course list. I know hat if they had the menu marked first, second and entreé there would be more doing so. Perhaps a way Viking is able to hold down costs. More later, muster nearing.

Hi, Biker,

We are really enjoying cruising along with you! Could you please explain this about the menu? As it is written, it is confusing. Thanks! ;)

Last night one of the people I ate dinner with ordered one item from the first course as I ordered two. We both ate the appetizer and then my wonderful soup arrived. She was astonished that you could do that said that she too had wanted the soup. By Viking arranging the menu in such a way it discourages people from getting more than one item for course one. They never say that you can't and the wait staff is very good at clearing immediately and bringing the second item. I suspect that this is a subtle way of controlling costs since many people only choose one item from each section.

My last ocean cruise I noticed that X had eliminated a course from their previous menus but with the same items (they combined soup and salad into one course). This gives the impression that there are fewer course options while in reality they are all there. Hope this clears up my meaning.

Viking fell a little last night ( 5AUG). A great squash soup was followed by a dismally overcooked and tasteless salmon fillet. Actually one of worst entreés I have encountered on a cruise. Then they had a wonderful group of Slovakian musicians perform in the lounge. So the mood of disappointment from dinner was lifted. I like the fact that Viking has a camera in the lounge so that talks or events in the lounge can be viewed in the cabin. Running a little late for the daily briefing is not a problem now.

The muster drill was scheduled just as we were entering a lock. Accident or not, it was perfect timing. Bratislava tour was enjoyable but I was on a bus where the AC worked. Two did not. Everyone was apologetic, but on the hottest day of the summer, not good. On the walk back to the boat we passed thru a riverside park. All of the benches had little signs saying "free WiFi". I did not check to see if I could log on but it is worth remembering. We left late for Vienna. More to come.

Arriving in Melk at this time. Weather for the Wachau Valley really very nice. Staff brought out glasses of ice water to those of us on top deck. CD gave information over PA to public viewing areas about the high points. Nothing into the cabins and not a constant chat, TYVM.

Melk Abbey tour this afternoon. We are devided into 5 groups because of size. Viking changes meal times depending on the day´ activities. Yesterday because of the Vienna Mozart concert, there were 2 dinner seatings. Concert was very worthwhile and I would highly recommend it. If it is hot when you go wear light clothes and don't think about dressing up. Today lunch is early because of the afternoon tours.

Tours in Vienna give a lot of free time to shop. St. Stephen's square seems to be where almost companies' to pause. Lots of coffee houses and shopping in that area.

I continue to be impressed by the service Viking gives.

Just out of curiosity, are they serving something like an 'amuse-bouche' before the first course that you order from the dinner menu?

Sounds like you are having a great time and thanks again for posting while on vacation :)

Edited by Mark_T

Yes you get a bite sized taste when you are seated, gift from the chef. Last night a chicken wing.

Monday will be the transfer day to the Modi. Have yet to find out how it will be doe. Suspect Sunday will be a bus trip to Regensberg and then Monday bus to somewhere near Nuremberg followed by the shorex at Nuremberg. We are at Passau now and some boats are embarking for trips to Budapest from here. The CD will go with us as well as the concierge. Tips will be split between the 2 crews.

We made the transfer from the Skirnir to the Modi in very easy fashion. The only bad thing was having to pack. Luggage was brought directly to the room after arriving at the boat by truck. Only low point was the rest room stop about halfway to Vilshofen. The entrance and exits use the same turnstiles and the crowd going in gave no room to those exiting. A real bottleneck.

We were informed Tuesday evening that we would be diverted to Rotterdam to end the cruise. With the Sail Amsterdam events starting Monday 17 Aug, there is no dock space available. Viking is arranging the transfers for everyone including the 48 people who had DIY arrangements for the after cruise time. Wonder if any other cruises have run into this problem.

All of the included tours have been well done. The guides all seem tobe well prepared and able to converse in English quite well. Their ages have run from early twenties to mid forties. In most if not all cases they have had to take classes and exams to become licensed as guides. Most of the tours have included bus transfers and lots of free time. Shops are open other than on Sunday.

Thanks for the update, biker. We will be Nuremberg to Budapest on Sept. 18 and if there is no improvement our ship transfer day will be on Sunday, so the ladies won't miss out on too much shopping!

Enjoy the rest of your voyage.

We are winding down. On last day before disembarkation. Overall impressions of Viking are that they are trying to please their guests while on board. Their ads like most cruise line ads give the best picture they can. Truth is always somewhere below that. Beds are NOT luxurious, food not always tasty or even properly cooked, but I can see a real effort being made to satisfy through hard work and a caring staff. Based on these impressions I would cruise with them again but it would be based on price and itinerary. I would certainly consider others. This is not ocean cruising by any comparison so I am working from one experience. Overall worth doing but won't repeat for several seasons. Full review later.