The Review has Landed!

LTC Dan

Well, I was starting to have my doubts about getting published, but two weeks after turning it in, I can happily report the piece is finally online. Hope that you like it. This link will take you there. http://click.email.cruisecritic.com/?qs=01bf4469c70367c276b11cf28e9c2b7ff8d365fab7bfa843be2f7e66006649b10f751e91667d126c06ee42332e1787d8 :D

Thank you, merci, grazie and vielen dank great info and fun to read. Love your enthusiasm. The fact you did so much research, you were informed, I think that always sets the tone for a trip. I loved it because I learned for next May we are doing Venice/Rome. The secret of Venice and the magic as I have always experienced is: off the beaten path, early am and evenings its magic apears. Very helpful about getting to the dock for WS, I have entered that info in my journal. Thanks for that. As you all know I love the positive! I wish you very happy sailing in the future. I will write too in the future and I am set to love every second as I always do. Great report. Stay well. Susanne

Wonderful review! Love the tips, especially. Also, completely identified with your travel agent mode as I've assumed the same role. Any spare moment, I'm researching tours and destinations while comparing reviews of the same. You should have seen the spreadsheets I'd crafted in order to decide between Silversea, Seabourne, and Windstar for a B2B next summer! So very happy we chose Windstar, and even more so after reading your review.

BTW, I'd be interested in the name of that car/van service you used.

So here's the deal Dan ... ;)

Great review - we have been on the Star Breeze in September (Sicilian Splendors) and had the same outstanding Windstar experience!

What a great crew/staff - we will surely come back!!!

Thanks, everyone for the gushing compliments. I am definitely ready to go again. Strenz (Susanne), you write lots of entries yourself, and I love hearing from you. Sparkleplenty (what a fun name), I'm so relieved to know I'm not the only one pouring over spreadsheets, fussing over which cruise line will be the best at whatever, and turning a vacation planning process into a labor of love. It truly isn't work at all, is it?

BTW, I'd be interested in the name of that car/van service you used.

Okay guys (and sparkleplenty), here's the deal. I've been spooked before about how candid I can be in making a recommendation. So I went back to the community guidelines and it seems I'll be okay talking about hotels, shuttle services, etc., because those tips will be outside of the cruise market itself. I will have avoided the minefield of talking about or endorsing a travel agent or competing cruise marketing company.

So, without further ado....the name of the shuttle service I like so much is GoOpti. They are a reputable company, and I've seen mostly flattering reviews in TripAdvisor and in the guide books (Rick Steves' to name just one). If you type in the search term "GoOpti" in your browser, you'll land on their internet site. Also, Wikipedia wrote a good summary about them. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GoOpti

This company is a regionally-based outfit specializing in transfers between various locations in Italy, Slovenia, and Croatia. Do your homework and decide if it's best for your situation, because it's just one of many options you can explore for getting around. Sometimes it may be cheaper to rent a car for a few days, or take the train, ride a local bus or taxi, or even hop on a commuter flight. And you need to factor in how tired you might be after a long flight. A private van service sometimes is a great deal.

Edited by LTC Dan

Sparkleplenty (what a fun name), I'm so relieved to know I'm not the only one pouring over spreadsheets, fussing over which cruise line will be the best at whatever, and turning a vacation planning process into a labor of love. It truly isn't work at all, is it?

Indeed, it is no work at all, tho' I suspect my spreadsheets were far more old school (paper and pencil) than yours. ;) I believe I may have found a new calling if ever I tire of the classroom. As I continue my researching, I may be in touch about more details for specific ports...

Thank you also for providing the info on the car service! We'll definitely be using it in Italy.

• 3 months later...
Thanks for the review. Could you comment about on board entertainment, in particular, after dinner? Thank you.

We thought the entertainment was fine, but nobody really goes on a WS cruise to hear the bands. There were two duos that performed, and can't recall their names.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Great review. Right up my alley for organizing a trip.

We did a 12-day itinerary with another company last August, Venice-Rome (love those). Our hotel in Venice was near San Marco so on departure day we just took a water-taxi nearby and went direct to the pier.

Found Athens and Olympia quite fascinating - our first time there - Our guides were amazing. Did not regret at all.

I hear that WS is going to Turkey this year (Izmir). Ephesus was beyond amazing - some much history.

All our shore excursion were done with other CC members.

well done Dan (from another Dan)

Can wait for Tahiti in July.

• 2 weeks later...

mexicobob, I love this forum, glad to help. Here's the thing. Windstar has typically run this itinerary several times from May through October, and I thin kthe key to an enjoyable booking is to look for the best weather and the smallest competing crowds. May is really good, because the vacationers haven't descended on the ports yet. Late September /early October is also fantastic for the same reason; by then tourist season is winding down. And the weather in May and late September/early October is unbelievable -- not too hot, and not too cool and rainy. Don't wait until late October, because the Mediterranean has some wicked windy, rainy weather that comes up from the Sahara in waves.

mexicobob, I love this forum, glad to help. Here's the thing. Windstar has typically run this itinerary several times from May through October, and I thin kthe key to an enjoyable booking is to look for the best weather and the smallest competing crowds. May is really good, because the vacationers haven't descended on the ports yet. Late September /early October is also fantastic for the same reason; by then tourist season is winding down. And the weather in May and late September/early October is unbelievable -- not too hot, and not too cool and rainy. Don't wait until late October, because the Mediterranean has some wicked windy, rainy weather that comes up from the Sahara in waves.

Thank you for your quick reply. Will begin planning for a May 2018 trip and take it from there. Thanks again.