Did I miss something - Chops now $49 pp

Unfortunately Chef's Table menus and wine pairings are not as good as they used to be. When they served Caymus Cabernet and the menu shown below we felt it was worth the $$.

c2ff01d64f0a4a47ba67200618029152.jpg

2cdb781b299b6da576470d4ff7c0e546.jpg

Not impressed with the menu and @$85 per on our Brilliance 12 nights Medit. cruise is not worth it.

Same prices on Liberty for March 2017 but the $21 at Giovanni's is a 30% off special they have going.

Sabor is $15 each for dinner right now.

Same pricing for our Aug. 12 nite on Brilliance. Just wondering if I take advantage of the $35 for Chops and pay for it, can I subsequently get a credit in using the bogo on the 1st or 2nd night.

In 5 RCCL cruises I've been to a specialty once. I was not very impressed. I've always enjoyed the same table same waiter thing anyway. By the first day they know what I like (2 glasses of red right off to avoid a delay).

To me that's what distinguishes cruising dining. I go to nice land restaurants all the time, so why do the same on a cruise?

Unfortunately Chef's Table menus and wine pairings are not as good as they used to be. When they served Caymus Cabernet and the menu shown below we felt it was worth the $$.

We saw this on Rhapsody earlier this month. I was very surprised at the poor wine selections for Chef's Table, and the chef who was most likely being forced to walk around and try to sell this to people seemed embarrassed when I mentioned the wine.

We saw this on Rhapsody earlier this month. I was very surprised at the poor wine selections for Chef's Table, and the chef who was most likely being forced to walk around and try to sell this to people seemed embarrassed when I mentioned the wine.

Yep, after getting Chef's Table for $50 pp on Radiance a couple of years ago, the food was phenomenal but the wine they offered was a joke as far as "high end" for a wine pairing dinner. The Wolf Blass was the best out of the 5, and at least 3 of them were cheap(er) $10-$12 bottles that were (are?) offered as D+ gifts.

DSC05944_zpsp1dulv8f.jpg

Couple quick questions from you that know about SR, if I booked a 3,4 or 5 day package would I have to include Izumi;s as one of the nights? and has anyone booked the First night done right package that is being offered?

You can repeat restaurants as much as you like, you don't have to go to Izumi.

We first sailed with RCC when Chops was a dining experience par none! We had at least two servers and they were backed up with other servers. It was an experience we were fortunate to repeat for a few years and then the changes began.

In past sailings, the food was exceptional and reasonable to cover gratuitites.We sailed only RCC,

How times have changed.

My readings of recent experiences at Chops reflect higher prices, less quantity of any main course and shared veggies etc. Service is slow and staffing tight (to be polite).

Does anyone remember Portofino's with the spectacular skewer of seafood?

Again, an incredible dining experience.

We stopped sailing RCC due to the decline in food in the MDR and specialty restaurants in 2012.

I finally came to realize I do not need to pay large sums of money for a cruise when DH and I (both foodies) are faced nightly with what is almost on the level of whatever national eatery you can name.

We have had good and not so good experiences on other lines but keep looking for that quality and service RCC could produce so many years back.

This will not change. They are raking in money on so many cruiselines. RCC is no exception. There is no motivation to improve the quality of food or service in specialty venues.

This past Christmas the holiday sailings (Christmas and NY's) the specialty dining packages were not available to purchase. They raised the price of Chops and a few other restaurants to $75pp for those special days.

For all the other Holidays, yes the dining package covers all the restaurants other than Chefs Table, the wine pairings and the mystery theatre dinner.

Your sailing on the Anthem on Dec 14th is not considered a Holiday sailing.

ok so 85 for anthem for 3 restaurants is a deal financially i'm assuming or no one would buy it.

ok so 85 for anthem for 3 restaurants is a deal financially i'm assuming or no one would buy it.

It lowers the average price per restaurant to $28 which I don't mind paying. I wouldn't pay $49 to go to Chops once but for $85 to go to 3 then I still see value in that.

We actually buy the 4 night package.

Pretty sure they still say the gratuity is included.
I believe the wording on the slip presented for you to sign at the end of the meal is "a small gratuity is included" and a prominent line for Additional Gratuity. It is my assumption that Specialty Restaurant tip pools also get some input from the Auto-Gratuities for dining service added to your ship charges. Bottom line is I don't know what is included and that is just the way they intend to confuse you and shame you into adding more money.:mad:

I believe the wording on the slip presented for you to sign at the end of the meal is "a small gratuity is included" and a prominent line for Additional Gratuity. It is my assumption that Specialty Restaurant tip pools also get some input from the Auto-Gratuities for dining service added to your ship charges. Bottom line is I don't know what is included and that is just the way they intend to confuse you and shame you into adding more money.:mad:

If the service is good, I'll add a few sheckels as I do with the cabin attendant & waiters. Many don't and you should not feel shamed into the extra grats. You'll never see them again.

Pretty sure they still say the gratuity is included.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Yes, the gratuity is still included. My last meal at Chops was in 2015. The food quality and quantity is down, but the price is higher. The $20 charge, which included gratuity was worth the price. The $49 price today is not worth it IMHO, so I'll have my dinners in the MDR and enjoy special dinners on land.

on the SDP PDF file, it says kids eat for 10 at speciaties.

KIDS DINE FOR LESS, TOO.

Kids ages 6-12 now dine at our specialty restaurants for just $10. Age 5 and under eat free!

on the FAQ it says kids eat for 8

How can I make a specialty restaurant reservation? s.gif A: Reservations may be booked online or onboard at the restaurant. Reservations are based on availability. Children younger than 13 must be accompanied by an adult.

Kids ages 6-12 now dine at our specialty restaurants for only $8, and kids 5 and under eat free! Little sailors get their very own menu – a round-up of kid-friendly favorites from the "grownups" menu.