Zika Virus in Mexico - warning

Liesel

Just received an email from RCI warning us about the Zika virus in certain areas, including Mexico.

We will be going on the Oasis to Labadee, Falmouth and Cozumel, leaving this Sunday, 2/26/17. Should we be concerned visiting any of these areas?? I am also wondering about Labadee/Haiti.

If you're concerned about those three areas you should also be concerned about Cape Canaveral, since the Zika virus is active in Florida, too.

Just follow the CDC's guidelines and you should be OK. Most importantly, prevent mosquito bites by using EPA approved bug sprays and if somebody in your party is pregnant or they/their partner is trying to get pregnant they should stay home.

Just received an email from RCI warning us about the Zika virus in certain areas, including Mexico.

We will be going on the Oasis to Labadee, Falmouth and Cozumel, leaving this Sunday, 2/26/17. Should we be concerned visiting any of these areas?? I am also wondering about Labadee/Haiti.

Are you planning to have a baby, pregnant? If not, it's of no real concern.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That is the same email that RCCL has sent for the past year or so. Unless you fall into any of the "at risk" categories, I would not worry too much. As Bob suggested, take and use insect repellant.

I wonder why RCCL waits till the week prior to sailing to send the email. I am on your sailing and also got the message today.

M

That is the same email that RCCL has sent for the past year or so. Unless you fall into any of the "at risk" categories, I would not worry too much. As Bob suggested, take and use insect repellant.

I wonder why RCCL waits till the week prior to sailing to send the email. I am on your sailing and also got the message today.

M

While I agree they should send out the warning earlier, Zika has been in the news for a long time. We also got an email today about it for our upcoming Anthem sailing. We carry Deep Woods Off Repellent Towelettes with us on a daily basis. I have some in my purse along with Wet Ones. With a few feet of snow on the ground, I could take them out, but I haven't bothered. At least I don't have to worry about packing them for next week.;):D

They have to warn you. I just got done cruising for two weeks all over the affected area and I never once saw one bug or heard one person say anything about mosquitos. Stay near shores with moving water and you will be fine. If you look up statistics on cruisers getting bit you will see only one person ever has gotten Zika on a cruise ship and it was an 80 year old man.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Are you serious??? You have got to be joking what an irresponsible thing to say.

Have you had any of the mozzi based infections, obviously not!

Spray spray and spray has having had both Dengue and Chikungunya the last thing you want to get is Zika which has similar symptoms.

Even if you are not pregnant etc etc try and avoid as it can takes weeks to come 100% right.

Are you serious??? You have got to be joking what an irresponsible thing to say.

Spray spray and spray has having had both Dengue and Chikungunya the last thing you want to get is Zika which has similar symptoms.

Even if you are not pregnant etc etc try and avoid as it can takes weeks to come 100% right.

Buy a Thermacell

Note, Zika is now all over the USA

https://www.cdc.gov/zika/intheus/maps-zika-us.html

Well, not really. Yes, residents from all those states have gotten Zika. But if you read the line on the bottom only 215 cases in Florida and 6 cases in Texas were acquired through presumed local mosquito-borne transmission. The rest were people that got it somewhere else before coming home. Or perhaps person to person transmission.

Did not see one insect last week on our cruise. Can't even remember seeing a fly.

Ditto this. Saw one or two flies the entire trip, I believe (one was in the Windjammer - probably a stowaway from Ft Lauderdale, lol!). Thassit. Did Grand Cayman/Cozumel/Costa Maya. No bugs. It was awesome. ;p

Zika has been transmitted in Southern Florida (and should be presumed in the whole state), Texas, Mexico, and the entirety of Caribbean, Central, and South America. Zika has MUCH milder symptoms than Chikungunya or Dengue thankfully, but it is possible to get both of these more serious diseases as well. Insect repellent is your best bet (we love our Thermacells) and the CDC has recommended caution or avoidance of these areas if you are pregnant or planning on getting pregnant in next six months.

All that said, as a physician living in Florida and a female of potentially childbearing age, I get asked this often. What I tell friends and family is not to be any more worried about traveling than you would have before Zika unless you fall in the pregnant or planning to become pregnant category, in which case I would not come this far south.

ETA: blairknill, sorry that you have had both Dengue and Chikungunya. Terrible luck and horrible diseases! I'm glad it sounds like you have recovered fully.

Edited by dancindr
Add content

If you're concerned about those three areas you should also be concerned about Cape Canaveral, since the Zika virus is active in Florida, too.

False reporting!!!

From the following Florida State website:

"There is one new locally acquired case today in a Miami-Dade County resident. The individual reported possible mosquito exposure in multiple locations in Miami-Dade. Florida still does not have any identified areas with ongoing, active Zika transmission."

http://www.floridahealth.gov/newsroom/2017/01/011217-zika-update.html

Edited by Scotty G