Captain's Dinner on NCL?

Lisalana

Hello!

I'm interested in hearing thoughts about the Captain's Dinner on the Pearl.

My boyfriend and I sailed on the Jewel 2 years ago, but did not attend the dinner. However this time around, I'm really interested in going. Is it worth it?

Thanks!

3x on the Jewel and never heard of it, or on any other NCL ship for that matter as far as a shipwide activity. The Captain could accommodate maybe 6-8 guests?:rolleyes:

Could the OP mean they've heard of the Captain inviting guests to dinner? That sometimes happens.

"Captains dinner" is a thing of the past. Now sometimes the Capt will invite guests to dine at his table with him but most nights he doesn't eat in main dining.

Some people say "captains dinner" is Lobster night or formal night or the night you can take your picture with him in the atrium.

Most cruiselines I have sailed on designate the second to last night as the "Captain's Farewell Dinner". As mentioned, it is usually a formal dress night and menu offers lobster and sometimes Baked Alaska dessert paraded in by waiters.

We did not have such a thing on NCL Jewel, however we did have lobster on the menu two different nights! :)

During a cruise on the Dawn, we had a CC meet and greet and during that meet and greet the hotel director told us that the Captain on the Dawn has an Officer's dinner every cruise, including himself and invited all of us. We all wrote down our room numbers and a couple of days later we received a special invitation to the dinner. Each table had an officer of the ship present and free wine as long as you wanted to drink it. It was a very nice touch and every one had a great time.

I haven't heard of other NCL ships doing this but the Dawn Captain made sure it was done every cruise.

During a cruise on the Dawn, we had a CC meet and greet and during that meet and greet the hotel director told us that the Captain on the Dawn has an Officer's dinner every cruise, including himself and invited all of us. We all wrote down our room numbers and a couple of days later we received a special invitation to the dinner. Each table had an officer of the ship present and free wine as long as you wanted to drink it. It was a very nice touch and every one had a great time.

I haven't heard of other NCL ships doing this but the Dawn Captain made sure it was done every cruise.

That would be SOOO cool to eat w/ some of the officers...

We just got off the dawn sunday 10/26.

On our last night sailing we ate in Impressions.

They had a curtain that closed the back section of the restaurant and the Captain and other Officers went into the back along with several passengers wearing a special "badge" if you may.

They must have been the ones chosen to eat with them that night but they did Indeed have it on our cruise.

We saw some Elderly people all excited to be having dinner with the "Crew'".

Good for them, made their day...

I will say our Captain and Crew of Officers were so friendly , always smiling and very personable.

I was on the Sky 2 weeks ago and we sat at the Captians table one night for dinner. We had a party of 14 and the table sat 16 and was in the center of the Crossings main dining room. The captian did not join us but we had a great time and great waiters. In the past when I was travelling with a celebrity we got invited to eat with the captain at his table in the main dining room and the service was great. You can request to dine at the captian's table if it is available but I doubt he will join you for dinner but you can always ask him.

On our last cruise on the Spirit-- spring 2008-- they asked that if anyone was intereseted that you could fill out a card( a raffel) to dine with one of the ships officers including the captain on one special night-- we really

liked the hotel director so we put his name down and we dined with him along with another couple in the main dining room along with all the officers with other guests at other tables-- this was really a nice thing to do. Since the hotel director is in charge of all the food, cabins, entertainment etc-- you can imagine the service we received at our table that night in the main dining room.

Big Green

On our last cruise on the Spirit-- spring 2008-- they asked that if anyone was intereseted that you could fill out a card( a raffel) to dine with one of the ships officers including the captain on one special night-- we really

liked the hotel director so we put his name down and we dined with him along with another couple in the main dining room along with all the officers with other guests at other tables-- this was really a nice thing to do. Since the hotel director is in charge of all the food, cabins, entertainment etc-- you can imagine the service we received at our table that night in the main dining room.

Big Green

Did they make some sort of annoucement or what?

On my last cruise on the Dawn the officers had a special dinner for cruise critic members. The Hotel Director, Asst HD, Cruise Director, Food and beverage director and I think one other hosted a party for us in the middle of the main dining room. It was very nice they big big "reserved" signs and we got to go in through a special door.

We are just off the Dawn and were selected to dine at the Captain's table for the Officers Dinner. Lots of the Dawn Dockyard Dynamos had a chance to join an officer for the evening.

However, I must correct something family cruisers posted about the dinner they "observed" the last evening. I was there. The "badges" were our CC nametags made by one of our Dynamos and the Captain was not in attendance. Nothing to do with the other dinner which is a lottery open to all passengers.

Just wanted to clear that up.

The Captain did, however, along with many other officers, host a table at the Officers Dinner.

To my knowledge, the Dawn is the only ship doing this type of activity.

I know on the Pearl repo Captain Lars had a special dinner up in Cagney's with invited guests. A couple of our CC folks attended. It seemed to be a lot of folks who were also in the courtyard area (plus some others, I've been told).

On a recent trans Atlantic crossing, I saw the captain alone at a table above the reception area. We had met before at a "select" group of 1,200 latitudes members [including one woman on her 62nd NCL cruise], so I smiled and said hi. He asked a question about a movie that was being projected on the wall near the Blue Lagoon which I answered. We chatted for a few minutes, he asked me to sit (table for two) and we grabbed some coffee and sat and talked for almost an hour. [i think he may have been somewhat lonesome actually.] When we were done, I joked that I could tell my friends I had dinner at the captains table, which was ... well .... sorta true. Nice guy.

A few years back, when former White House chef Henry Haller had drawn up NCL's main dining room menus, there was a night called "Captain's Dinner." It was one of the two optional formal nights at the time, and it was a very attractive menu. If I remember right, it included beef Wellington and lobster tail as two of the entrees. Or maybe it was Chateaubriand. But, in any case, that set of main dining room dinner menus is two or three generations old by now.

On our last Star cruise we met the Captain briefly in the Star Bar and the next day had an invite to join him along with another couple we were cruising with for dinner at Le Bistro.

We had a great time and talked for more than a couple of hours about everything under the sun! It was a fantastic unexpected surprise.

The ironic thing is just the night before DH and I ate at Le Bistro and probably were given the worst seats in the place right next to where they put the food out for the servers to pick up. They remembered us from the previous evening and had shocked looks on their faces when we strolled in with the Captain. They really were nervous waiting on our table with the Captain. We got such a kick out of it and told them afterwards that we had enjoyed BOTH evenings at LeBistro! :)

If you ever get the chance to dine with the Captain do it! :)

Oops! Yes, I did mean the formal, dress up night. Just curious if anyone has attended that dinner, as we are trying to decide if we should bring formal clothes.

Sorry for the confusion!

The formal night is optional in all dining rooms on all nights on all NCL ships. They will call one night "Dress Up or Not Night" (but not "formal night"). Only about 50% of the passengers will dress up and that will range from tuxes down to shirt and tie. The rest of the passengers will be in resort casual. (polo shirts, kahki's, tennis shoes.) There will be a mix of dress in all dining rooms as no one dining venue will be designated "formal only."

That the best part about Freestyle, the ability to dress as you wish. If you want to leave the nice clothes at home, then you may and won't feel out of place, BUT if you are one of those who like to dress up in your best duds, then you can do that as well and not be out of place! It's your choice!

• 5 years later...
The formal night is optional in all dining rooms on all nights on all NCL ships. They will call one night "Dress Up or Not Night" (but not "formal night"). Only about 50% of the passengers will dress up and that will range from tuxes down to shirt and tie. The rest of the passengers will be in resort casual. (polo shirts, kahki's, tennis shoes.) There will be a mix of dress in all dining rooms as no one dining venue will be designated "formal only."

That the best part about Freestyle, the ability to dress as you wish. If you want to leave the nice clothes at home, then you may and won't feel out of place, BUT if you are one of those who like to dress up in your best duds, then you can do that as well and not be out of place! It's your choice!

I believe they have now dropped the "Dress up or Not Night" to "dinner out night". (we eat dinner out every night on a ship, don't we LOL)...

Dressier tops/slacks for ladies, suit and/or sports jacket, shirt/tie men. Most look very nice.........

Have fun:)