Getting to the Airport

eurodame

If you ship indeeds docks at 8am you will be lucky to disembark before 9am. You then will need to collect you bags, clears immigration and customs and travel to Newark. You then need to check bags and clear TSA to be at you gate by 10am. Short answer--No.

If my ships docks at 8:00 a.m., can I make it to Newark for a 10:25 flight?

I don't even fly out of Newark but I can tell you that the answer is no, not just no , but a big NO.

You would need to be at the airport no later than 8:30 and you probably won't be off the ship before 9:00.

Bayonne - most likely not; Manhattan or Brooklyn - no way.

Pretty much this - and even if its Bayonne, there's still the matter of traffic that can be ridiculous sometimes. Like a 15 minute ride that turns into an 1 hour wait at a toll or turnpike. Let's not get start if the ports are in Manhattan or Brooklyn and the tunnels...

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

With a Star Trek teleporter you might make it.

Wait! If I had access to a teleporter, I would not need to get to the airport.

Beam me home, Scotty!! :D:D

First of all welcome to Cruise Critic.

There is a world of cruise news and information at your fingertips.

If some of the posts seem rude, it's because the frequent cruisers understand the dynamics of disembarkation or debarking.

The kindest response is that you cannot make a flight at 10:25 from almost any port in the world. Docking time and disembarkation time are not the same and you will understand after just your first cruise.

To be safe, and more relaxed, check the cruise ship recommendations. The normal recommendation for most ports is noon. If you are docking at Bayonne an 11:30 departure would probably be fine IF you are on a Caribbean or Bermuda itinerary. If you are returning from a transatlantic or repositioning cruise you need more cushion.

Please do study the Cruise Critic forums - there is so much to offer. And, absolutely join the Roll Call for your sailing. It will be your best tool to plan your great cruise.

First of all welcome to Cruise Critic.

There is a world of cruise news and information at your fingertips.

If some of the posts seem rude, it's because the frequent cruisers understand the dynamics of disembarkation or debarking.

The kindest response is that you cannot make a flight at 10:25 from almost any port in the world. Docking time and disembarkation time are not the same and you will understand after just your first cruise.

To be safe, and more relaxed, check the cruise ship recommendations. The normal recommendation for most ports is noon. If you are docking at Bayonne an 11:30 departure would probably be fine IF you are on a Caribbean or Bermuda itinerary. If you are returning from a transatlantic or repositioning cruise you need more cushion.

Please do study the Cruise Critic forums - there is so much to offer. And, absolutely join the Roll Call for your sailing. It will be your best tool to plan your great cruise.

What a wonderful post. It is informative and welcoming to a new poster in cruisecritic. The sarcasm in other posts, especially when the poster is new and asking a legitimate question, is truly uncalled for.

Everyone who has replied has said you will not make the flight; and they are correct as traffic in the New York City immediate area is always horrendous, plus the airport security measures will take significant time.

However, you cannot always go by what the experts and even the cruise lines tell you. In 2002 we did a Baltic cruise for our 30th wedding anniversary. I found a one time only internet special rate on Continental roundtrip between the Newark airport and Copenhagen. The catch was that the return flight was at 9 AM, and Princess said that was way too early. Our TA said the same thing. So we stayed a day in Copenhagen and took a 9 AM flight the next day. (To make things worse, we learned at the talk by the cruise director for things to do in Copenhagen that much would be closed the next day as many museums closed on Mondays. And DW is an art teacher so much of our to do list included museums.) When we got our luggage tags, DW pointed out that there was a tag for Continental flights at 9 AM. I looked, and not only was she correct, but it was not even the earliest tag. There was one for flights before 9 AM.

But, having said all that, you will never make that flight in NY.

Edited by ontheweb
spelling correction

Let me share with you our scary moment last month. We had 2 hours after getting off the ship to get to the airport. We were aiming to be there 2 hours before they closed check in (4 hours clear and 5 before the flight goes) we made check in with 4 minutes to go. Got stuck in traffic which didn't move for hours.

That was getting off a ship in New York

So OP absolutely NO way

We never book a flight before 12.30