Where to buy Euros in the U.S.?

jletsgo

Help please. Have previously purchased euros in the airport at Travelex but there fees are pretty high. Any recommendations where else to purchase would be greatly appreciated.

We purchase foreign currency from a local bank. Most large cities will have at least one that will exchange dollars for whatever. Our bank also buys back paper bills that we don't use. They don't buy coins, though.

While I do most of my banking through a credit union, I was able to go to a local Chase branch because I have a Chase credit card. I paid cash and they had euros for me to pick up in a day or two. This was still not a great exchange rate but cheaper than having them shipped when I did it.

Help please. Have previously purchased euros in the airport at Travelex but there fees are pretty high. Any recommendations where else to purchase would be greatly appreciated.

Here I can go into almost any bank or credit union and buy foreign exchange. If you're not looking for a lot (enough to get you by until hit reach an ATM) every bank/credit union here stocks USDollars, Sterling, Euros and Yen. Even Mexican pesos took just 24 hrs to get in.

Well done, jletsgo, realizing that Travelex charges too much. Their $9.95 fee makes small purchases outrageously expensive, big purchases are marked up about 13%. Wells Fargo marks up euro by about 5.5%, I doubt that you will find better than that in the USA. Check and see if a local branch has euro available here: https://www.foreignexchangeservices.com/index.html?partnerid=FES&serviceType=stores

AAA is variable, check them, sometimes they make mistakes in your favor.

Don't buy too much in advance. Buy when you get to EU.

Get enough for taxi, walking around money, unexpected small expenses.

Edited by sail7seas

We have traveled to Europe more than 50 times over the years (on both cruises and extensive land-based independent trips) and have never found a need to buy a single Euro (or other currency) in the US. When we get to Europe we simply stop at an ATM (they are everywhere) put in our card and extract Euros. We have 2 ATM cards that charge zero fees (other then the standard 1% exchange fee built into the rate of exchange) and the rates we get out of ATMs is better then anything we could get in the USA. It also means we do not have to carry large amounts of cash. We routinely take care of all our cash needs with ATMs,....even when in Europe for several months at a time.

Hank

Our small town regional bank has foreign currency. But like many others I just go into my envelope of cash left from my last trip so that I have a little bit with me, then head for an ATM as soon as I arrive.

Wells Fargo will waive the transaction fee for accountholders who buy $1000 worth, even if multiple currencies in one transaction. And here in Florida many of the larger malls have currency conversion booths; while they have horrible rates and extortionate fees for tourists looking to buy US Dollars, they are actually somewhat competitive in their rates for the reverse transations selling foreign currencies for $US.

Again, best general advice for the OP and others is to check with your local bank or auto club.

Why would you need euros before getting to the airport? We bring ATM card with no transaction fee and our regular one for backup. Of course, most airports have ATMs.

2009. Arrived early morning, Rome airport. Planned to take a train to the city. ATMs all out of order. Ticket machines not working with U.S. credit cards. The more expensive taxi alternative also not accepting anything but the cash we did not have. Eventually I gave up and paid an exorbitant rate at the one currency exchange that was open.

2014. Arrived early morning, Tel Aviv airport. ATMs not working. Fortunately a friend was picking us up and he took us by a bank ATM on the way to our hotel.

2014. Arrived early morning, Stockholm airport. Planned to take a train to the city. ATMs all out of order. Ticket machines not working with U.S. credit cards. I walked 3/4 miles from the arrival terminal to the main terminal where there is a ticket desk with a person who could run my card and sell me a ticket. Fortunately my hotel was only a block from the main station so I didn't need to find an ATM for taxi fare.

Given such experiences as above, I will still not buy currency ahead of time. But I can see why some might well think it worthwhile.

Stan

We bought a considerable amount of Euros the first time we took a TA, from our local bank--it took a couple of days to get them.

Once we found out how easy it is to use ATM's in Europe, that's what we do. We do have a stash of 'extra' Euros left from trips so that we have a little starting out money.

I will say that the only airport ATM we used (Rome) was the only one we've ever encountered that was a challange for non-native speakers. Luckily some kind Italian helped us out. We've always been able to figure out others.

2009. Arrived early morning, Rome airport. Planned to take a train to the city. ATMs all out of order. Ticket machines not working with U.S. credit cards. The more expensive taxi alternative also not accepting anything but the cash we did not have. Eventually I gave up and paid an exorbitant rate at the one currency exchange that was open.

2014. Arrived early morning, Tel Aviv airport. ATMs not working. Fortunately a friend was picking us up and he took us by a bank ATM on the way to our hotel.

2014. Arrived early morning, Stockholm airport. Planned to take a train to the city. ATMs all out of order. Ticket machines not working with U.S. credit cards. I walked 3/4 miles from the arrival terminal to the main terminal where there is a ticket desk with a person who could run my card and sell me a ticket. Fortunately my hotel was only a block from the main station so I didn't need to find an ATM for taxi fare.

Given such experiences as above, I will still not buy currency ahead of time. But I can see why some might well think it worthwhile.

Stan

An extraordinary run of bad luck. I have flown to London (GBP), Paris, Rome, Venice, Frankfurt and Amsterdam - and while have occasionally found a non-functioning ATM, have always found many at each airport - with at least one (usually first one I tried - just once the third) working fine. The exchange rate beats what is available at US banks - and far better than exchange kiosks - and if you have a card which refunds charges applied by the proprietary bank ( as my UBS card does) you will realize significant savings.

This likely will shock some of you but I have never used nor needed to use an ATM and destroyed my ATM card as useless for ME. My late DH and traveled a huge amount and never had any problem getting whatever cash we needed and using AmEx and Visa at will.

My DH liked to have some foreign cash in his pocket when we arrived and that always worked just fine for us. :)