Celebrity food

squeeky336

I have never been on Celebrity.. I usually go NCL, but the Millennium fit what i needed.. I have looked at menus and is the only place you cn get lobster in the specialty restaurants? I always enjoyed lobster night on other cruises..

I am sort of nervous that Celebrity might be too upscale and I won't fit in.. Bring in a little balck dress and boyfriend is bringing a jacket and tie..But Alaska is so far away I dont want to make him bring a tux.. Will this be ok? :o

In all my Celebrity cruises, there have been only a couple of meals I didn't enjoy. As far as Lobster, which is not spectacular in the MDR, I suggest Murano which is a specialty restaurant. BTW all specialty restaurants on Celebrity are "smart casual" even on formal nights. Qsine is my DH's favorite restaurant, but it works better with more than a couple since there are so many food choices that are fun to share. The location of Qsine on the Millennium is wonderful. Since NCL is a favorite line of yours, you are used to paying upcharges for dining aboard unless it's the buffet or MDR;), and since you are foodies, it is definitely worth a dinner or two in one of Millennium's specialty venues.

Depending on your port times, you might consider dining ashore for lunch or dinner to enjoy Alaskan halibut and King Crab!

You will be fine in your little black dress and your boyfriend in a shirt/tie/jacket for formal nights in the MDR, but again, if dining in a specialty restaurant those evenings, smart casual is the dress code.

I have never been on Celebrity.. I usually go NCL, but the Millennium fit what i needed.. I have looked at menus and is the only place you cn get lobster in the specialty restaurants? I always enjoyed lobster night on other cruises..

I am sort of nervous that Celebrity might be too upscale and I won't fit in.. Bring in a little balck dress and boyfriend is bringing a jacket and tie..But Alaska is so far away I dont want to make him bring a tux.. Will this be ok? :o

Welcome to cruise critic.

We are elite on Celebrity... also elite on Princess, have cruise a lot of lines... we have cruised on NCL as well, did a cruise on NCL a couple of years ago.

Celebrity and NCL are miles apart in terms of the typical cruise experience on each but I don't feel you have to be concerned about fitting in on Celebrity. With a black and a jacket and tie you will be just fine. I have also found that typical folks on cruises to Alaska are less formal.

I am not a fan of lobster on cruise ships so have not really tired it on Celebrity... I also don't feel Celebrity does as good a job in the MDR when compared to other lines I cruise on, namely Princess, Holland America, and Cunard. But by contrast, Celebrity does have a fantastic buffet which I often elect over the MDR when I am not Celebrity.

Hope you have a great time on your cruise!!

You and your boyfriend will be just fine on the Celebrity Millennium with a little Black Dress and he in a sport coat, tie and dress shirt. Lobster is served only in the MDR on the 2nd. Formal night. You can get shrimp cocktail every night. Salmon every night and usually another fish like halibut, tilapia, cod, shrimp dishes and once in a while scallops. I think the recommendation of Murano sounds like a plan. Often the 1st night on board, they will offer a discount for the specialty restaurant's fee. Go with an open mind and you will enjoy your cruise. We have been on the Millie twice, including with our daughter & SIL and grandchildren. We will sail as a family again on the Reflection and she choose the ship & itinerary.

Edited by Nanatravel

Welcome to cruise critic.

We are elite on Celebrity... also elite on Princess, have cruise a lot of lines... we have cruised on NCL as well, did a cruise on NCL a couple of years ago.

Celebrity and NCL are miles apart in terms of the typical cruise experience on each but I don't feel you have to be concerned about fitting in on Celebrity. With a black and a jacket and tie you will be just fine. I have also found that typical folks on cruises to Alaska are less formal.

I am not a fan of lobster on cruise ships so have not really tired it on Celebrity... I also don't feel Celebrity does as good a job in the MDR when compared to other lines I cruise on, namely Princess, Holland America, and Cunard. But by contrast, Celebrity does have a fantastic buffet which I often elect over the MDR when I am not Celebrity.

Hope you have a great time on your cruise!!

So you eat in buffet all the time? The last cruise i was on was ncl and the dinning was excellent.. we ate in specialty every night.. we bought a unlimited dinning package. I have never sailed the ships you have.. we have done RC, Carnival, NCL, MSC.. Believe it or not Carnival food is very good.. better than RC.. In Europe MSC was great.. But in Miami it was horrible food.. I would avoid them..

The food is a big part of why we cruise.. We are in our 50s. But this cruise is about the ports i know. The one thing i do not like on a cruise is putting up with other ppls kids and teenagers..

I was told that celebrity is not a family cruise.. SO I was hoping the food would be good.. more geared for ppl our age.

Most of the time you will find Celebrity's MDR food is superior to Princess, NCL, Royal Caribbean and Holland America. The S-class ships have the best buffets at sea. Last month we did the NCL Jewel using the UDP and it was excellent.

Celebrity is more formal than most lines; Cunard being the most formal. I still wear my Tux on Celebrity, but many times others are wearing suits or slacks + a sports jacket.

Celebrity could be the "best bang for the buck" in the cruising world, even though their holiday fares are becoming very expensive.

Good luck and enjoy!

Kel:)

The one thing i do not like on a cruise is putting up with other ppls kids and teenagers..

I was told that celebrity is not a family cruise.. SO I was hoping the food would be good.. more geared for ppl our age.

Actually, Celebrity has a kids' program and markets to families.

Most of the time you will find Celebrity's MDR food is superior to Princess, NCL, Royal Caribbean and Holland America. The S-class ships have the best buffets at sea. Last month we did the NCL Jewel using the UDP and it was excellent.

Celebrity is more formal than most lines; Cunard being the most formal. I still wear my Tux on Celebrity, but many times others are wearing suits or slacks + a sports jacket.

Celebrity could be the "best bang for the buck" in the cruising world, even though their holiday fares are becoming very expensive.

Good luck and enjoy!

we are flying in from Florida. trying real hard to get everything into a carry on.. Wearing a jacket on the plane is one thing.. But packing a suit bag for tux is hard..

Hi-

We've been Celebrity a number of times and the most recently, in December. I wouldn't call it upscale at all. While I haven't been on NCL, it is no different than Princess or Holland America in terms of the dining experience. In fact, we're seeing fewer and fewer women in gowns and hardly any men wear tuxes any more on formal nights. -- musingaboutcruising.blogspot.com.

Just wanted to clear up something....

There are three specialty restaurants on the Millie. Bistro on Five, Q'sine and The OLYMPIC. Murano's is not on the Millie.

Packing the layers you need for an Alaska cruise in a carry on is challenging. I wish you luck with that!

There are a couple of places in Alaska that have outstanding, fresh seafood. Killer king crab comes to mind. Just check out the destinations boards for Alaska for some current favorites.

As much as I love Celebrity, and we cruise them often, they've never really had the greatest lobster. They use Caribbean as opposed to New England lobster and like anything else one may be sweet and tender and the next blah.

Alaska cruises are far more laid back than most any other destination. You have been given good advice about dress but I want you to be super comfortable and enjoy your cruise.

I hope you have joined the Roll Call for your cruise. You will get wonderful advice from your fellow cruisers too.

Just wanted to clear up something....

There are three specialty restaurants on the Millie. Bistro on Five, Q'sine and The OLYMPIC. Murano's is not on the Millie.

Packing the layers you need for an Alaska cruise in a carry on is challenging. I wish you luck with that!

There are a couple of places in Alaska that have outstanding, fresh seafood. Killer king crab comes to mind. Just check out the destinations boards for Alaska for some current favorites.

As much as I love Celebrity, and we cruise them often, they've never really had the greatest lobster. They use Caribbean as opposed to New England lobster and like anything else one may be sweet and tender and the next blah.

Alaska cruises are far more laid back than most any other destination. You have been given good advice about dress but I want you to be super comfortable and enjoy your cruise.

I hope you have joined the Roll Call for your cruise. You will get wonderful advice from your fellow cruisers too.

ty fr your reply.. you give good advice.. yes i did join the roll call and email to one fellow passenger in NJ.. but not too many joined our roll call..

Yes i get it all on in carry on.. There is a trick to it.. I use the largest carry on they allow with wheels on it.. and you are allowed one othr personal item.. i have a matching set of cheap luggage i got from my bank .. it is small.. so the extra item is the matching bag i fold up a cheap walmart canvas purse and pack it, and use that later.. I will probably throw it away before i come back.. .. I wear a fannie pack as a belt for important papers and money.. All the documents in a school folder in the pocket of the bag.. I also roll and use cubes and plastic bags for everything.. i do all black ..black pants, skirt and dress, leggings, sweater .. i roll all like items together.. that makes them smaller to pack and they dont wrinkle as much.. You can change basic black items many times with a scarfs and other tops.. were a pair of jeans and a fleece hoodie you are all set.. I travels all over Europe this way.. I am a tightwad when it comes to paying fees for luggage on an airplane. and i take a seat in the back of the plane.. Nobody wants them.. they all want to be first off the plane.. but back eats are the first ones on and get to the storage bins first. So i sit back a few minutes while the plane unloads. usually there is an extra seat in the back to stretch out to. i am already packed in fact. ;)

what is Bistro on 5 like? I didn't know about it .. do they really have lobster on the buffet everyday?

Regardless of where we travel or The length of the cruise DH and I both travel with one small carry- in each and it works just fine for us too.

I mix and match dressy tops for evening and bring one pair of Chico's Traveler pants and wear them every night. No one cares what I wear and I am always comfortable. I still feel dressed on formal nights even though I don't have a prom dress on, I stopped bringing them on my cruises years ago. It is personal taste. Others travel with a steamer trunk and pack their entire closet and I Have no idea why.

You will feel very comfortable on Celebrity. Country Club Casual attire is accepted on all the cruise lines these days so relax and have a great cruise.

As far as dining goes we were on Millie last month and they served lobster in the MDR twice on our 14 day cruise, it was surf and turf. One night the lobster was delicious and the second time it was it was very tough. Unlike most cruise lines Celebrity has escargot on their menu every night. Since I love escargot I ordered it each night for 14 nights...yum....it was delicious. We will be on RCCL next month and I will miss my escargot!

Marion

we are flying in from Florida. trying real hard to get everything into a carry on.. Wearing a jacket on the plane is one thing.. But packing a suit bag for tux is hard..

squeeky,

I'm not sure going to an Alaskan cruise with "carry on" only is realistic. We travel very light, but in the northwest you are going to need warm clothes, rain resistant jackets, and clothing for the cruise itself.

Good luck,

R Unlike most cruise lines Celebrity has escargot on their menu every night. Since I love escargot I ordered it each night for 14 nights...yum....it was delicious. We will be on RCCL next month and I will miss my escargot!

Marion

Marion, they had escargot on our recent Royal Caribbean cruise, every night. Personally I didn't like it, had much better on our port stop in Noumea, but tastes differ.

Regardless of where we travel or The length of the cruise DH and I both travel with one small carry- in each and it works just fine for us too.

I mix and match dressy tops for evening and bring one pair of Chico's Traveler pants and wear them every night. No one cares what I wear and I am always comfortable. I still feel dressed on formal nights even though I don't have a prom dress on, I stopped bringing them on my cruises years ago. It is personal taste. Others travel with a steamer trunk and pack their entire closet and I Have no idea why.

You will feel very comfortable on Celebrity. Country Club Casual attire is accepted on all the cruise lines these days so relax and have a great cruise.

As far as dining goes we were on Millie last month and they served lobster in the MDR twice on our 14 day cruise, it was surf and turf. One night the lobster was delicious and the second time it was it was very tough. Unlike most cruise lines Celebrity has escargot on their menu every night. Since I love escargot I ordered it each night for 14 nights...yum....it was delicious. We will be on RCCL next month and I will miss my escargot!

Marion

I fully agree.. i have everything packed already in fact.. i even go a step further.. I collect sample size make up and perfume samples from make up counters and leave my big bottles at home.. a toothbroush and travel size deodorant is all i need. then throw it away before comng back. you can also do a load of laundry on the ship for less tha it costs to check a bag at the airport both ways. I leave jewlery at home to.. you are going to pick up a trinket here and there anyway. If you do happen to need an extra layer, I am sure that Alaska like everywhere else has a million and one stores you can pick one up at for a lot less than bag fees both way at the airport. a little black dress goes a long way and can be dressed up or down. reused many times and nobody cares or notices:cool: I am planning on mailing back a bunch of dirty clothes from my last port in Ketchikan. US postal service flat rate is about 7 bucks for this..

Glad to hear about the escargot and all the good food on the Milli.. I am looking forward.. This is my first Celebrity..

squeeky,

I'm not sure going to an Alaskan cruise with "carry on" only is realistic. We travel very light, but in the northwest you are going to need warm clothes, rain resistant jackets, and clothing for the cruise itself.

Good luck,

I am actually already packed.. and yes i got it all into carry on..

TIP.. you are allowed one carry on and one personal item.. You can bring a really big purse with a zipper and that is your extra bag. wear your sweater and rain gear on the plane. If you choose a seat in the back of the plane you are one of the first ones on and you get to the storage bins first to:cool:

well i am already packed.. it is a matter of planning it all out..you can wear the same jeans more than once. as i said one black pants one black dress one black skirt, one black pullover sweater and you can mix and match all kinds of stuff. You dont have to have your main color to be black.. i just find it easiest.. you can use gray white or tan if you want.. the mix and match small items and different shirts..I never bring anything I cant wear at least 2 or 3 times.. I even brought long underwear (one pair can be wore over panties and reuse several times) >. it is also about how u pack it.. my suitcase is tight as a drum.. NEVER fold alwasy roll.. and roll all like items together.. roll 12 pairs of undies into a sandwitch side bag.. same for socks bras ect.. i have 12 shirts in one cube. pants skirts and my dress rolled in another. You are on vacation shopping and if you need you can always pick up an extra sweat shirt or hoodie if you need. I wear my ONE sweater and it is not black but tan, and rainproof windbreaker on the plane.

I even have a 3 weeks supply of medicines.. 12 prescriptions all pre poured into a secured pill organizer I bought at the drug store. I bring copies of the scripts with me in the same plastic bag for TSA. Insulin and syringes. I have OTC for minor things to. Immodium..(must bring) and tylenol to. DONT bring shamppoo or soap. Hotels have it for free. A small toothbroush you can throw away at the and of the trip, and a small travel size tube of tooth paste is all you need and a travel deodorant. Minimal make up.. Make it all fit in a small cosmetic bag. Get the bag first. If it doesn't fit leave it behind. Nobody is really paying attention to your eye shadow anyway. Go to cosmetic counters and get sample size lipsticks and perfume samples for free. The local AVON lady is good for this to especially if you are a good customer for her.

btw,, i learned how to do this reading articles on this and other travel sites.. Rick Steves who does Europe recommends this because of the amount of walking all over. It might even surprise you that I am on 2 cruises with 3 days in Seward in between.. But the hotel has a washer.. it takes an hour to throw in a load of undies and socks.

If i can do it anyone can

I am actually already packed.. and yes i got it all into carry on..

TIP.. you are allowed one carry on and one personal item.. You can bring a really big purse with a zipper and that is your extra bag. wear your sweater and rain gear on the plane. If you choose a seat in the back of the plane you are one of the first ones on and you get to the storage bins first to:cool:

Hope it works well for you! If you don't want to go formal, you can avoid the MDR on the two formal nights. All alternative restaurants. room service or the buffet do not require formal wear on those two evenings.

Just out of curiosity, why don't you check your bags?:)

Kel

"Best buffets at sea" according to....?

Is that quantity, variety, quality?

Is C one of the few lines that have daily lobster tail grilled to order at the "buffet"?

FF,

In my opinion, the S-class ships of Celebrity have the best quality, setup, and flow of any of the mainstream buffets (talking about the Solstice, Equinox, Eclipse, Silhouette and the Reflection). Yes, I think the quality of Oceania and Azamara buffets are better, but now we are talking about an expensive luxury line.

HAL used to have a great buffet (not any more); Princess buffet is very crowded and has limited offerings; Royal Caribbean's buffet is crowded and food lacks quality; NCL has some buffets that have a great set up, but they lack quality food items; Cunard has great MDR food, but their buffet is one of the worst at sea.

Not sure how lobster got into the discussion? Why do people associate lobster with quality? I'm not a big fan.

The OP is going on the Millennium (M-class ship), which has a basic buffet set up. Very similar to Holland America.

My opinion is based on 55 cruises on a variety of lines. Have you cruised on an S-class Celebrity ship?

Enjoy!

If you choose a seat in the back of the plane you are one of the first ones on and you get to the storage bins first to:cool:

Note this is not true for all airlines. The one I fly most boards by Zone, and that Zone has nothing to do with where you are sitting on the plane.

FF,

In my opinion, the S-class ships of Celebrity have the best quality, setup, and flow of any of the mainstream buffets (talking about the Solstice, Equinox, Eclipse, Silhouette and the Reflection). Yes, I think the quality of Oceania and Azamara buffets are better, but now we are talking about an expensive luxury line.

HAL used to have a great buffet (not any more); Princess buffet is very crowded and has limited offerings; Royal Caribbean's buffet is crowded and food lacks quality; NCL has some buffets that have a great set up, but they lack quality food items; Cunard has great MDR food, but their buffet is one of the worst at sea.

Not sure how lobster got into the discussion? Why do people associate lobster with quality? I'm not a big fan.

The OP is going on the Millennium (M-class ship), which has a basic buffet set up. Very similar to Holland America.

My opinion is based on 55 cruises on a variety of lines. Have you cruised on an S-class Celebrity ship?

Enjoy!

It may very well be the best of the mass market lines. But you did say "best at sea."

As for O being expensive: not necessarily when you do a bottom line daily rate comparison for your entire trip (vs. just cabin cost).

Look at the O cabin price. Depending on where you come from and are going, figure about $1000+\- (US to Europe) air credit per person. Subtract the cost of Celebrity non-alcohol beverage package and four or five nights of specialty restaurants per person (on a ten night cruise). If you find a O top-producing TA, pick an itinerary when they occasionally partner with O to provide an approx. 10% credit/refund for first time O cruiser (about $800-$1000 per balcony cabin on a 10 day Alaska). If it's the right dates (Your World On Sale), subtract gratuities and internet. Then drop another approx 8-10% in TA OBC (maybe $700-$800 on that Europe balcony cabin). Then there's the qualitative things: only 700 passengers, better food, etc.

Zero interest in going on Celebrity. But also wouldn't do luxury lines. For our preferences, O is the "best bang for our buck".

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

It may very well be the best of the mass market lines. But you did say "best at sea."

As for O being expensive: not necessarily when you do a bottom line daily rate comparison for your entire trip (vs. just cabin cost).

Look at the O cabin price. Depending on where you come from and are going, figure about $1000+\- (US to Europe) air credit per person. Subtract the cost of Celebrity non-alcohol beverage package and four or five nights of specialty restaurants per person (on a ten night cruise). If you find a O top-producing TA, pick an itinerary when they occasionally partner with O to provide an approx. 10% credit/refund for first time O cruiser (about $800-$1000 per balcony cabin on a 10 day Alaska). If it's the right dates (Your World On Sale), subtract gratuities and internet. Then drop another approx 8-10% in TA OBC (maybe $700-$800 on that Europe balcony cabin). Then there's the qualitative things: only 700 passengers, better food, etc.

Zero interest in going on Celebrity.

FF,

I will check it out! We've only cruised Oceania once and I thought they have the best cuisine compared to all the other lines. (Azamara was a close second)

My wife is a teacher, so we are limited to her dates of unemployment during the holidays and the ten weeks of the summer. Hard to get a deal during that travel window, but I will check with my TA to see if I'm missing something concerning pricing on Oceania. Thanks for the info!

Enjoy!

Hope it works well for you! If you don't want to go formal, you can avoid the MDR on the two formal nights. All alternative restaurants. room service or the buffet do not require formal wear on those two evenings.

Just out of curiosity, why don't you check your bags?:)

Kel

oh my little black dress will do just fine for formal night.. and I have a black skirt, black leggings and a white cream top, that will do just fine for the second night.. i will recycle them at least twice this trip with other things for different looks.

I hate to check bags.. Ppl seem to be in this big hurry to be the first off the plane, but then end up waiting forever for their bags.. I just grab and go. Even if I am the last one off the plane, I avoid the hassle.. If that is not enough reason. I do not want to pay $25 per bag for each bag both ways. For 2 ppl that is $100 for just one bag each. I can use that $100 for nicer things on my vacation than an up charge to the airline. I dont see this as cheap. I see it as smart. I have a friend that only will fly Southwest because they have free bag fees.. But I have seen what she pays for airfare and these fees are built right into her fare.. I am fine to shop the best bargain for a flight and carry my own bag a few extra feet in the airport. My carry on has wheels on it anyway.. I once sold airfare for a big agency over the phone and know the rules of airfare. So I always get the best bargain and know how to avoid up charges. Even if you need a little extra help there is always a porter that will help me. I rather give $5 tip to a nice gentleman trying to earn a living, than $25 to the airlines profits. I also sit in the back of the plane where nobody wants to sit and if the plane is not full I get more room, walk around if I want and get to the bathroom easier. All for free :cool:

I also dont pay extra for snacks movies or booze on the plane.. I eat before getting on and use layovers to grab a fast snack if I need it.. Airport food is pricey but cheaper than buying airplane snacks.. the reason I am on the plane is to get to my destination so I can have a nice vacation where I do spend my money and spoil myself.. i generally try to just nap on the plane. That it is free to and ia m freash when I get there

It works very well done it before

Edited by squeeky336
spell

oh my little black dress will do just fine for formal night.. and I have a black skirt, black leggings and a white cream top, that will do just fine for the second night.. i will recycle them at least twice this trip with other things for different looks.

I hate to check bags.. Ppl seem to be in this big hurry to be the first off the plane, but then end up waiting forever for their bags.. I just grab and go. Even if I am the last one off the plane, I avoid the hassle.. If that is not enough reason. I do not want to pay $25 per bag for each bag both ways. For 2 ppl that is $100 for just one bag each. I can use that $100 for nicer things on my vacation than an up charge to the airline. I dont see this as cheap. I see it as smart. I have a friend that only will fly Southwest because they have free bag fees.. But I have seen what she pays for airfare and these fees are built right into her fare.. I am fine to shop the best bargain for a flight and carry my own bag a few extra feet in the airport. My carry on has wheels on it anyway.. I once sold airfare for a big agency over the phone and know the rules of airfare. So I always get the best bargain and know how to avoid up charges. Even if you need a little extra help there is always a porter that will help me. I rather give $5 tip to a nice gentleman trying to earn a living, than $25 to the airlines profits. I also sit in the back of the plane where nobody wants to sit and if the plane is not full I get more room, walk around if I want and get to the bathroom easier. All for free :cool:

I also dont pay extra for snacks movies or booze on the plane.. I eat before getting on and use layovers to grab a fast snack if I need it.. Airport food is pricey but cheaper than buying airplane snacks.. the reason I am on the plane is to get to my destination so I can have a nice vacation where I do spend my money and spoil myself.. i generally try to just nap on the plane. That it is free to and ia m freash when I get there

It works very well done it before

s,

Sounds like a plan!:) Enjoy your cruise.

Kel

I fully agree.. i have everything packed already in fact.. i even go a step further.. I collect sample size make up and perfume samples from make up counters and leave my big bottles at home.. a toothbroush and travel size deodorant is all i need. then throw it away before comng back. you can also do a load of laundry on the ship for less tha it costs to check a bag at the airport both ways. I leave jewlery at home to.. you are going to pick up a trinket here and there anyway. If you do happen to need an extra layer, I am sure that Alaska like everywhere else has a million and one stores you can pick one up at for a lot less than bag fees both way at the airport. a little black dress goes a long way and can be dressed up or down. reused many times and nobody cares or notices:cool: I am planning on mailing back a bunch of dirty clothes from my last port in Ketchikan. US postal service flat rate is about 7 bucks for this..

Glad to hear about the escargot and all the good food on the Milli.. I am looking forward.. This is my first Celebrity..

Just a heads up. You cannot do a load of laundry on the ship. Celebrity, like their company counterpart Royal Caribbean, has no self-service laundry. You can send clothing to the laundry/dry cleaner for a fee.